Anyway, I decided to sit down and make a homemade with all the materials I already have (tons of PVC, springs, etc.), and this is what I came up with:
Another goal of this project was to see if I could make a decent blaster using extension springs, rather than compression. Here is a close up of the spring setup (There is an Identical spring at the same distance on the bottom half.):
The trigger setup is very similar to Bolt's from the FAR. I still used the bell-crank setup, but rather than having a swinging trigger, it slides. I did this for two reasons: No force is lost in the up and down component (the force lost with the swinging trigger may be negligible, but whatever); The buckle inhibitors are much easier to fabricate/install because the bar only needs to move back and forth. Here are some nearly in focus pictures:
For now, I have just been muzzle loading stock whistlers (Have to wait for Ace to refill the brass so I can try stefans and maybe some paper darts). To charge the gun, you simply pull back the aluminum rod that is connected to the spring (something of a perverted crossbow). Since I have no brass to nest in the barrel, I won't be able to get ranges for a bit (maybe by Saturday).
There are several obvious issues with this design that will be resolved in the next improvement:
1. It is huge. Really Huge, to the point were I can't hold it against my shoulder and fire comfortably. You may notice that there is a great deal of space between the bottom of the handle and the bottom of the gun. This space was unintentional, but appeared as a side affect of not paying attention to what I was gluing.
2. The springs are a bit much for the trigger. Despite a smooth powerful trigger, the force of the springs is too great on the plunger, pushing the catch against the trigger pin with way too much force, sometimes requiring two hands to fire. I think this can be resolved by removing the bottom spring, it still has a great deal of force with just the one.
3. The charging handle (the metal rod) bends when being pulled back. This is a side affect of the two springs and the gun being too tall, should go away when I fix those issues.
In addition to these changes, I would like to take a stab at some method of improving the rate of fire (probably a clip of sorts).
So there you have it. I figured it was probably time to start posting something that is actually useful. Thanks for reading.
Edited by Death's Avatar, 16 March 2006 - 07:51 PM.