Photo

Reinforcing Plastic

3 replies to this topic

#1 Metal Nerf Solid

Metal Nerf Solid

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:07 AM

All my weapons are at least 8 years old, and the plstic is beginning to wear out due to stress. Has anyone had this problem, and if so, does anyone know how to reinforce the plastic so as to increase durability? Thank you.

#2 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:32 PM

You could try using a resin epoxy to reinforce where the the various joints are showing stress.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#3 ristrictor-distructor

ristrictor-distructor

• Banned
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:05 PM

I heard that you could epoxy small peices of steel to the spring walls

#4 TimberwolfCY

TimberwolfCY

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 01:45 PM

I'd recommend using Plumber's Goop and sheet aluminum/steel to reinforce the spring walls, similar to what Ristrictor said. Ragornocks gives some brief directions on how to do it for the Crossbow on NHQ's page, http://www.nerfhq.co...iew.php?p=25445; it starts with the "Level 4" area of the mod, about 3/4 of the way down.

Other than doing something similar to key stress areas, you could also add FBR (Foam Backer Rod, or Caulk Saver) to various areas of the gun to absorb shock; this also quiets most guns down a bit, if you're worried about noise. You could also use duct tape to reinforce areas of stress. Other than those three things, I can't think of anything. I wouldn't recommend adding glue itself to any of the areas, as most glues contain some kind of solvent that can actually weaken the area you apply it to.

Good luck.
"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it." - The Architect, The Matrix: Reloaded

TimberwolfCY
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users