After building the original KISS rifle, I wasn't very satisfied. It was way too big and hard to cock for the amount of power I was getting out of it. I attributed most of this to shoddy construction combined with the high friction of surgical tubing, especially since it was mounted at an angle, which kept it pulled up against the edge of the groove it was running along.
Once I figured that out, I decided to fix all of those problems. I ended up with something fairly satisfying.
Instead of surgical tubing, I used a mini bungee, which stores a bit more power in a smaller package, with a lot less friction. It's also nice because a 10 pack costs a little over 2 dollars.
The bungee also solved the size problem, because they are quite a bit beefier than surgical tubing. The pull in this gun is about 6", as opposed to 2' in the original KISS, but it has quite a bit more power.
The advantage of having a direct-acting bungee instead of a plunger is that you can shoot whatever fits down the barrel, with no need for a good seal. I can shoot jumbo stefans, which are a perfect fit in 3/4" PVC, as well as very tight paper darts, which would be better in 1/2" PVC.
This gun, in keeping with the simplicity, is cocked with a string tied around the bungee. It's tied to a ring of 3/4" PVC, which I insert back into the tee at the rear of the gun after cocking, so that there's almost no dead weight on the bungee when firing.
I added quite a few ammo holders to this gun, mostly to bulk it up a bit. It looked too scrawny before. There are two ammo holders underneath the barrel which can hold jumbos or paper darts, and the grip and mock scope can hold micros, megas, or paper darts. This makes for 5 darts total in the gun at one time.
This is the gun filled with paper darts:
I decided, again, to use a SNAP-style clothespin trigger, with a tiny little twist. I flipped around the angle iron used for the trigger, so that the pin is right where the trigger is, instead of 2" in front. This also added to the compact size.
It turned out pretty well, and it could be easily mass-produced. Mine took about an hour and a half from start to finish, but that was because I had to design it on the fly. In the future, I think I could make one in about a half an hour, especially without all the frivolous show parts. It ended up costing about as much as a NF.
Ranges turned out pretty good. I haven't done an in-depth study, but I have measured a few shots, and here's what I have:
ALL RANGES ARE FROM LEVEL SHOTS FIRED AT THE SHOULDER
ROF is decent. Not great, but decent. I'm not exactly sure of the practicality yet as I don't really do much in the way of wars, but I feel this would make for a pretty good close-quarters sidearm, especially good for indoor wars. As this doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to build, I'm hoping someone else who's more active in wars will build something similar and give it a test run.
Edited by davidbowie, 12 March 2006 - 05:56 PM.