mainly for the concept

4 replies to this topic

#1 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:06 PM

Alright, I’m going straight into the trigger writeup. I will leave it vague because depending on your gun, you will have to use different lengths/whatnot. However, I will present the basic concept, which should allow you to make your own.

First, you’re going to need brass tubing, and some kind of metal rods (I used nails). Next, get your piece of pvc that you intend to house your trigger and catch mechanisms.

Posted Image

Next, you’re going to need 2 pieces of brass, one for the trigger itself and one for the rod that will move the catch pin up and down. You should then drill a hole through both of the brass tubes to allow for them to pivot. The trigger can be however long, as long as the top arc when the trigger moving does not hit whatever part of the gun you have directly above the trigger. The other piece of brass should have one side considerably longer, I had around a 1/6 ratio, being as one side was 6 times longer than the other. The short side will have a small hole drilled in it (not through both sides), and in which a nail will be placed, with the head ending up on the inside of the tube. The nail will then have some freedom of motion to straight up and down, even though the arc that the brass tube creates isn’t exactly straight up and down. Another hole will be drilled on the other end, although on the opposite side of the brass. So basically by the end of the hole-drilling you’ll have 4 visible holes, 2 of them on opposite sides of the tube for the tube to rotate, and 2 on opposite ends and opposite sides.

The trigger I really don’t feel that I need to explain, as it just goes back and forth.

The hole from the trigger is then tied to the hole in the what I’ll call the “catch bar”, over a nail so that when the trigger pulls forwards the string pulls up on the catch bar. This pulling up of the catch bar causes the other side of the bar to go down. This basically moves the catch pin up and down.

The picture below should show both pieces, from a top-down view. The picture below that one should show what it would look like from a side view.

Posted Image

Posted Image

From here, all that’s really left is to figure out how to reset the trigger pin to it’s “up” state after each pull of the trigger. I basically used a spring that I boxed in to force the catch side of the catch bar to be up at all times unless the trigger is pulled. There are far cleaner ways of doing this, but I was lazy.

Posted Image

Now, if the catch pin is guided through the proper hole into the plunger, you should have a working catch/trigger mechanism that was easy to make and effective.

~ompa

#2 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:49 PM

Awesomeness. My Homemade pistol was waiting for a simple trigger mech. Everything done except for trigger mech, so for this I thank thee.

So is this from your Simplified FAR, or a new homemade?

#3 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:58 PM

From the simplified FAR. I may make a different trigger mech for my next homemade (which has to be named the NEAR. Just so there's SOFAR, FAR, and NEAR), but I doubt it considering how well this has worked so far.

~ompa

#4 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:00 PM

By the way, I used dowels when I made my trigger system and they work like crap. The wood bends, breaks, fractures, what the heck, unless you guide the pin. I recommend just using something stronger (A metal -- I ended up using copper for the trigger).

EDIT: Just make sure you get your nail/firing pin/whatever is in there very VERY good. It's not fun to have it not catch once you get the whole gun glued together. -_-

AND use a strong string. I know you think you can make it with electrical wire or string-string, but you can't. It stretches. I used fishing line, and mine is working great.

Edited by Flaming Hilt, 02 April 2006 - 08:59 PM.

" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#5 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:11 PM

Hmm...that gives me an idea...gotta go talk to the trigger man *runs to go play SOCom II for PS2* *comes back twenty minutes later* Well, I might recommend dowel for the trigger which someone wants to make for one of my future homemade SNAP knock-offs. However, that is really becoming more of a FAR-SNAP knock-off very quickly...
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users