Dtg Mod

Barrels and Bands

17 replies to this topic

#1 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 08:18 PM

I don't think anyone has posted a barrel mod with results, so I'm gonna.

Opening the gun up was a bit of a bitch, but you can see how flambo did it here. I then looked at the turret and thought that I had to keep the little screw ports intact. This is not so, and you can benefit from my past experiences now :D . To get a proper seating area for my barrels, I had to snap off the stubs and file them down, which took at least an hour and a half. Yeah, don't do that. Instead, just saw where the screw ports meet the lip of the turret. You'll get it if you see it. I chose 3" CPVC barrels, for these are tight enough for pressure to build up behind the dart before it is shot out. I can't cut straight, or the same length, which is shown, but my guns work. If I cared that much, I'd use a miter box or some sort of guiding system, and measure for longer than I did. But oh well.
Posted Image

I added liberal amounts of hot glue to support them, and then duct tape around the outside. Only one layer of tape, just to make sure that the turret wouldn't be too wide to fit back into the case.
Posted Image

I also found out a way to band this son of a bitch, which others have probably done. I'll show you where I put them ( thanks to flamebo's pic).
Posted Image

I took an abnormally long band...
Posted Image

...and doubled it up like this -
Posted Image

Then, if my finger is the plunger, wrapped it around like this, with the other end on that screw port in the third picture.
Posted Image

Snapped it back in the case, Tah-Da!
Posted Image

Subjective analysis in my room tells me that with good darts I should be able to reach 65'. Worse darts, around 55'. The stock micros are doing about the same as with the old barrels.

Whaddya think? Other than the fact that the barrels are fugly?

TS

#2 PiMpDaDdY

PiMpDaDdY

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 08:34 PM

Oh my god you just made me want to go out and buy those guns for that mod. Great mod!! :D
NerfMonkey:
I only ask because I'm thinking of trying these and it would suck if the balls got all covered with hairs after a while.

#3 Crappy Nerfer

Crappy Nerfer

• Banned
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:16 PM

Wow, nice mod. I gotta do that to my Dart Tag Guns now. Nice ranges...
"If one notices a patch of gangrene in a wound on the back of one's hand, one does not simply hope that it gets better over time.

One cuts that shit off at the wrist and learns to masturbate lefty."

- Death

"By BC do you mean Boston College?"

- nerfer34

#4 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 11:52 PM

It all depends on your darts... and cash flow. If you use megas or stock darts, this mod really isn't for you. If you use the unshrunken stefans, unlike me, you should use telescoping brass, or something that has a tighter fit on those darts. If your darts fit well in CPVC like mine, go for it.

TS

#5 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:25 PM

I love the mod, but are you sure that you get 65'?? both of mine get around 70' and all I did is take out the air restrictors. It seems that you'd get around 80'+ with that mod. :)

Probably dead by now, or something.

#6 Rip32

Rip32

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:32 PM

You should re- measure your ranges. I am almost posotive you coulden't get 70 feet flat or angled with a Dtg with just restrictions taken out. In fact I was suprised that TS's dtg even gets 65 feet flat, but I believe it.

Edited by Rip32, 06 March 2006 - 05:33 PM.

http://www.break.com...iencechild.html
Funniest video ever. This kid needs some serious help

#7 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:38 PM

He has CPVC barrels you fool. Not stock barrels. His darts probably fit the barrels pretty tight allowing a substanstial amount of pressure to build up behind the dart. I believe 65 ft.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#8 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:42 PM

all I did is take out the air restrictors. It seems that you'd get around 80'+ with that mod. smile.gif

He wasn't talking about TS's mod.

~ompa

#9 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:48 PM

I've re-measured the ranges, and all ten shots got around 70'. The highest was 76', and the lowest was 64'. This is all angled outside with little or no wind, using a tape measure.

[EDIT:] DAMNIT!! sorry, guys, I just found out that my tape measure doesn't measure in feet. sorry I wasted your time :) If you want the real ranges, I can re-measure again, I found a real tape measure.

[EDIT:] the highest was 57', and the lowest was 45'. Sorry again. I still don't know what was wrong with that stupid tape measure.

Edited by AssassinNF, 06 March 2006 - 07:10 PM.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#10 LittleB

LittleB

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:46 PM

I just tested the ranges of the banding mod for the DTG. I used 3 bands and fired from the countertop in the kitchen down the hall (note: both DTG handles were touching the counter top.) The flat ranges were ~49 feet for a dart tag dart and ~53 feet for a stefan.
I also took the DTG and added a stock made of 1 inch diameter pvc, It makes the gun feel so much better when holding it.
Posted Image
It is held on by wraping the pvc inside the gun in duct tape so it creates a tight fit and then wrapping the outside in duct tape to add stability; The stock does not move around at all.

-Little B

#11 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:13 PM

Subjective analysis in my room tells me that with good darts I should be able to reach 65'. Worse darts, around 55'. The stock micros are doing about the same as with the old barrels.

Whoa, lots of responses here. Remember kiddos, read the fine print - I haven't had the change to range test it yet. I need decent darts, for one, and I need to order more weights for that very purpose. But I will use the well weighted ones for the range test. More info tomorrow.

TS

#12 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:18 AM

Finally, those stupid mavericks can be put to rest.

Meaning killed.

Slaughtered endlessly.

Speed's going to love this. I promised the guy I'd do something to his DTg so he'd have a decent "primary" to go with his Powerclip, but INTERNAL BANDING?

Freaking schweet.

The only problem is getting enough brass to make 10 2-3" barrels...

Oh well. It'll be worth it.

Nice job. If anybody still has doubts about the gun getting the ranges he's rtalking about, bands really DO have some serious power. I wouldn't doubt the 50' ballpark I'm hearing.

Excellent. Gives me something to do this sunday afternoon...
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#13 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 08:01 PM

Sorry to revive an old thread but I have a suggestion. I you can drill a hole into the tab on the priming grip you might be able to add a shoulder strap to it so that the gun can be primed without using your other arm.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 25 March 2006 - 08:01 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#14 nightfinder

nightfinder

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:25 PM

Sorry about this but i want to do the mod and the pics were moved, is there any other way to see the pics? :o
NerfGrassHopper
R u gay ur sig makes it look so.. just lokin' for anotha gay nerfer...

#15 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:39 PM

PM Team_Slaya about it before posting in an old thread.

EDIT at next post: That's only a week, he'll be on again soon I'm sure. It's not like he's inactive.

Edited by analogkid, 11 August 2008 - 08:04 PM.

#16 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:33 PM

Well, Slaya hasn't been on since August 4th(he's an infrequent member), so it's okay to put the question out for others to answer, I guess.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#17 nightfinder

nightfinder

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:14 PM

Well, Slaya hasn't been on since August 4th(he's an infrequent member), so it's okay to put the question out for others to answer, I guess.

Thank god someones on my side...
NerfGrassHopper
R u gay ur sig makes it look so.. just lokin' for anotha gay nerfer...

#18 Liam

Liam

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:20 PM

I do not recommend banding these guns. I banded both of my Dtgs with fairly small rubber bands in a write-up that I posted a while back. In about a week I had two snapped plunger rods.

EDIT- Oh fuck, excuse me, I didn't realize I was contributing to a necro.

Edited by Liam, 12 September 2008 - 09:23 PM.

The chances of one person taking a bomb on a plane are one in a million. The chances of two people taking a bomb on a plane are one in a trillion. So if you're scared of a terrorist attack, bring a bomb on a plane.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users