Photo

Who Are You?

A tongue-in-cheek NERF rant.

57 replies to this topic

Poll: So, pick one! (162 member(s) have cast votes)

So, pick one!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 tenesee23

tenesee23

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:59 PM

Haha. Cool Post Piney.

I picked Nerfer because A) It was the only one that didn't have a negative connotation (sp?) ;) I am too tired to think of my own special archetype, like other peple are doing
Go Team FuckBuddy!

#27 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:01 PM

This topic amuses me thoroughly.

#28 Nerforbust

Nerforbust

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:07 PM

I think I would be a 'gearhead'. Not because I dont want to war, or because my friends dont like nerf... Its because I dont have any friends really.

#29 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:42 AM

4) The Nerf Assassin.

They are involved in “assassin” type games on either high school or college campuses, and insist that they are the only “real” type of Nerf game play, and that all others are imitations.  They love the Nite Finder and Maverick, believe strongly in Nerf losing, silencers, bipods, listening devices and binoculars, and don’t mind using 2-3 bucks of gas to drive around the neighborhood to infiltrate/ eliminate opponents…with a spring powered dart gun.  They’d be willing to sit in someone’s hallway all night while their “target” is out having a nice dinner or seeing a movie so they can ‘eliminate’ them.  They have the stealth of a Ninja, but probably couldn’t dodge much from a seasoned CTF team in a 3:15 speed match.  For some reason or other their Nite Finders or Mavs seem to have a tremendous range advantage over those who mod them for more conventional play...maybe it's the long hallways.  They have fun, but not without trying to proselytize the masses to beco
e like them.

Piney, you seem to glorify the nerfer and not give enough credit to the assassin. Its seems to me that I am the most educated and active assassin on these boards so I feel it is necessary to shed some light on the subject by explaining and correcting some points you have made.

1. Not all assassin games take place in highschool and college campuses. In fact having wars in a highschool can set you up for many suspension and guns being confiscated.

2.Neither I nor any assassin on this forum has mentioned that Assassin is the only "real" game. post or pm me a link but I check these boards every other day and read almost all new threads especially ones involving assassins.

3. Most assassins love the nitefinder and the maverick because they are the first nerf guns they have had in years and are the most readily available. They also dont cost that much either which is great for a person to buy if they are not too sure about how serious the game is in the first place.\

4. 99% of you will disagree but losing does exist in assassin. If you are in a hidden location and can pick someone off at 200 feet when most kills are made at less than 10 then I would consider that losing.

5. I am yet to utilize a listening device but would strongly reccomend getting one if you have the cash because even the smallest tips help alot in this game. "I have to go grocery shopping at 7:30 pm at dominion" If you hear this you can consider him as good as dead. I one time went shopping with a rapid fire in the cart hidden inside my jacket

6. During the clan wars my clan spent over $100 in gas scoping out different peoples houses,work etc.

7. The most time I have spent camping someones residence was 2 hours. He was hit with 4/8 blood tears.

8. Unless they are trained they have no stealth and unless they have nerf war experience they wont be able to dodge.

9. We do have fun without trying to convince others to get into it. When people ask about it I tell them and 80% of them think its amazing and 20% think we are still 10 years old.

Assassin got me into nerf. I would attend wars but there are no local ones. Black wrath continues to post but still hasnt gotten back to me on a date or anything. The CFM is dead and it is time I start a new one. As far as proselytzing goes, I see it like this. If you find something you really enjoy, would you not tell others about it? Would you not want others to have as much fun as you are. Would an assassin not want more targets to hunt? Would a nerfer not want more people on the battlefield?

I would love to be involved in more wars but it becomes hard when you dont know enough people to do them. The biggest war I ever had was 4 people. It sucks I know

As for myself I would consider my self someone who joins a board because he is genuinely and sincerely interested in Nerf, the amazing world of modifying Nerf blasters for improved performance, who has the stealth of a Ninja who has fun and is very wise when it come to hunting people.

I must say however that majority of assassins dont know much and are in on the hype of the game more than the game itself. To them this is not better than pog or marbles and will be set aside for a new hobby next year. The select few however are in it for the long haul these members are valuable assets on any team.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 03 March 2006 - 12:46 AM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#30 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:51 AM

200' kills?

$100 in gas money just to "scope out" residences?

2 hour camping periods?

A Nerf gun in a fucking grocery store?

No wonder Piney glorifies "the Nerfer" and laughs at assassin players. By the way, the CFM isn't exactly dead, it's just bloody winter time in Mississauga incase you hadn't looked out your window in the past 3 months. I'll get another MMNO started in due time, with all of the CFM (6 guys), and if you don't piss me off by then, you'll be invited.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#31 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:10 PM

Guys, it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek...ya know, facetious, jokingly...which is why it's so much fun to watch all the different answers...Chuck Norris; that's a good one. ;)

Forsaken_Angel24, yes, I do glorify the Nerfer, because this site is primarily directed at Nerfing and those who engage in it. I'm poking fun at all the other games that evolved from playing with Nerf blasters because you get to read about them all the time.

Sure, assassins sounds like fun, and since there's a jackpot at the end there is some incentive, but I really wouldn't have that much time on my hands to keep looking behind my back 24 / 7, and doing what might equate to stalking in some jurisdictions. I guess it's an age/ priorites thing. I make more money working a normal day than an award at the end of an event, but if I were on a college campus, and younger, heck, I'd give it a shot.

It's all in jest and fun; heck, the fact that a I'm old enough to be a dad and still find interest in runnin' around with my kids (and some neighborhood kids) and shoot 'em up with foam darts should be hilarious enough for you. Fact is, though, I'm 5'7", 175 lbs, and can run a 40 yd. dash in under 6 seconds, when many of my contemporaries (40-somethings) are parked on the couch or poppin' meds for blood pressure and cholesterol.

It wasn't meant to be a "which is better" thread, or one to give precedence and credit of one over another. Take it for what it's worth; I won't even go into the part about "AssassinHQ" or "SoldierHaven".:(

This topic amuses me thoroughly.

See, even the admins get it.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#32 Chessler

Chessler

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:24 PM

I'd have to go with 9)The Gearhead, because that is exactly my status in Nerf.

#33 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 02:41 PM

Piney, you seem to glorify the nerfer and not give enough credit to the assassin.

No, he's dead on.

#34 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 03:26 PM

The Chuck Norris... -_-

I consider myself simply "The Nerfer". Winter is basically my off-season (I live in Northern MN, so I'd have to run around in Mukluks in order to play), so you may have noticed a little bit of "Forum Boss" out of me. This is merely me keeping an interest in Nerf and persisting over my drought. Sure, I have indoor wars still, but once you've modded all your guns and you can't dodge bullets in cramped quarters, it's not all that fun. Someone points a gun at you and basically says "You're hit."

Come summertime, I truly break out the Nerfing Spirit. My group of friends could make a movie about Nerf that goes hand-in-hand with "The Sandlot" and baseball. What should we do today? POW! You just got hit with a foam dart. Damn, I'm gonna get you back...thus a war is born. For me, it's all about having fun.

And yet, I still haven't attended a full-scale war like Armageddon, YANO, etc. Looking forward to doing so at some point in the next couple of years. Sounds like a road-trip to LA for Armageddon this year isn't a possiblility. Ironically, I'm heading out to the East Coast that same week...Completely opposite direction.

To sum my thoughts up: mod your guns, post about them, but most of all PLAY WITH THEM. Using your guns is the most satisfying part of Nerf. I think those who actually war on a regular basis will agree with me there. Basically, get out of your mom's basement and shoot people with foam!

~Rings
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#35 Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:27 PM

If i could say so myself I am a total non-active member......and yes Chuck Norris kicks ass.
Webmaster of Ultima Nerf

#36 Anima

Anima

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:29 PM

Low-rider came closest for me, though I'm not so protective of my paintjobs. ;K) And I modify my guns too where possible, so it isn't all cosmetic work. I mean, what's the point of having a pretty gun if it sucks?
On the web, your language skills are your appearance and odor. Don't be a smelly elephant man.

#37 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:30 PM

This site is geared more towards the nerfer. (no complaints) However if you are a nerfer who has no idea what its like to play an assassin based game then keep your opinions to yourself. I could be hypocritical and say "assassin is the only way to play and nerfwars are for pussies." But I am not ignorant like that. All I ask is you guys do the same and only talk about what you know.

Black wrath you have been Pm'd

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 03 March 2006 - 08:31 PM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#38 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:36 PM

Dude, Angel, nobody meant to offend you. Piney even explained himself to make sure you knew that. Even if we all DID act like ignorant pricks couldn't you just brush it off because YOU know that we're wrong? I do it every day when people make fun of me for Nerfing.

The only "pretty" gun I own is my PC and I still use it, so I'm definitely, in order, a modder, a Nerfer and a painter.
SexD Warves

#39 Sqiggs89

Sqiggs89

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 09:52 PM

I probably come closest to "The Nerf Low-Rider." Mostly because if I paint my guns they have to be perfect or else I have to repaint them. Yes I've wasted many bottles of paint because of this. The paint must be excactly where I want it, meaning, in the lines of the gun where I want it. Even the very very detailed stuff. If it's out by about a milimeter I think it looks like crap. So if you look at someones gun and the paint is like a little splashed over the side, mine won't be like that.

I also fit in to this category because if you notice if I ever Nerf with you. I tend to use the good guns that look cool. That's not the case for most guns, but if it's a really good gun I'll use it even depending on the ugliness. But if it's a good gun, but I don't do too good with it, I'll stick to my awesome looking and performing guns.

I may also fit myself in to "The Nerfer" category. I enjoy nerfing simply for the fun and the hobby. It's just fun, which is why I do it.

I may have wrote way to much for this, but oh well.

Nerf on.

Edited by Sqiggs89, 03 March 2006 - 09:53 PM.

Been a while.
#bro

#40 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:45 PM

I guess I would fall into gearhead too because I don't actually get to Nerf as much because of my new location. But I said assassin because when we do nerf around here, its just another 10 person assassin game.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#41 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 02:58 AM

No no, I deffinately meant to offend angel. I've played against guys who like doing tyhe "assassin" thing. They might tag you once before you catch on, but once you're on to them they just don't have a chance. Yes, if we all adopted your playstyle that shit would fly, but that's just not gonna happen.

VACC

#42 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 09:07 AM

I had to go with Nerf Low Rider, even though I no longer own any of my guns, even though none of them, if I still had them, had any life left. However, I am sliding towards spending more time on a project and fully thinking everything through before the first cut, or rip, or melt, begins. Truthfully,

I am the one who has all of two other people who presently Nerf. We all had our own unique attributes which were reflected in our blasters. Every outing in the summer (once a week), my blaster was something different than the previous. Our older member still used his aging Defender T3 until it finally became brain dead. Still functions, just needs a diaper to keep the parts from falling to the ground. He currently is upgrading with all of the new releases. Our other member also had a new blaster every week, but this was due to him doing nothing right with an attempted mod, until he finally made a homemade. Back to me in the future, I moved, left every one of my Nerf blasters at my old house. Why? Reasons too complicated for a single topic and thread. Most of them were falling apart, breaking down due to repetative stress syndrome with the continual disassembly and reassembly, tweaking 'til there was nothing left...literally. Now, homemades are all I do. Also, big projectiles is all I do. I play in a heavily forested followed by knee to hip high grass for over 200 yards. After that, woods so thick I couldn't pass through them on foot. Hence I have moved spudgun technology to Nerf, utilizing 1.5" barrels and soon 2.5" barrels and tennis balls. I still need to pick up safer ammo for that onhalfer, but still...

I lost that previous tendancy to mod 'til it breaks. Once something is done, if it was designed to be permanent, don't mess with it unless it needs maintenance. Winter is was my offseason, not anymore. With my group now having a few acres at my place to play, and I introduced steel as a reinforcer for plastic parts, allowing lowest operating temperatures to be in the Kelvin scale. I have started shifting from manual labour with a pump and moved back to my air compressor, just as I had with my first homemade. No longer does that even satisfy me. I can legally shoot an actual firearm in my backyard. Combustion is now my medium on paper, soon to be in actuelle. Come sundown, I will more than likely have a new post in the Homemades picking up where boltsniper dared not continue: propane injection. Night games will be nothing now. Silencers only to hide muzzle flashes from everyone else's eyes.

A new member will be introduced from the airsoft world. He will join with Nerf only because he realized that we through more pain into the game than any other combat sport. He has access to a fully loaded machine shop. Yes, he will have all alluminum operating assemblies. He has no practice with such machines or making anything like this, however, has already employed me to make such things possible. There, I forgot what I was originally talking about and ended up probably far from it. So umm, what was this topic/thread about again?
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#43 RaZeR ShArP

RaZeR ShArP

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 12:14 PM

Its sharpie from nhq. Ill try not to act like a dumbass here. Anyways I'm the nerfer haha. Arent we all?
"If only you could upgrade to a bigger one. Double the length and watch as others cower in fear of your balls." -Shadow Hunter Alpha

"I had just used some silicone spray on the plunger, and saw a nice increase in range. So I told my wife that lubing up makes my balls shoot further." -Carbon

#44 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:00 PM

Anyways I'm the nerfer haha. Arent we all?

No.

Smarten up.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#45 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 01:11 PM

Old Coot.

I think we can all agree I enjoy Nerfing. And Modding. Someone else can makeup an archetype for me.

But Assassin does seem like it would be a fun game.

If you are in a hidden location and can pick someone off at 200 feet when most kills are made at less than 10 then I would consider that losing.

I've mailed you a tape measure, it should arive in a few days, snail mail and all.

And if you didn't realize, you said people use stock NiteFinders and Mavericks, but 200'?

For a story, I guess I've done something similar to assassin, a few friends and I were all going to someone's house, and we decide to get a few Nerfguns. When we get there, we decide to run in and shoot him. Well, it was fun.
Tyranny Response Team

#46 N063425

N063425

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:34 AM

I'm an assassin.

In the 2 past high school games and 1 soon to start, interest has boomed. The games were played with teams all fighting on a free-for-all and eventually turning into a duel between the 2 top assassins. Player count jumped from 34 to 175 and with 3 or so other schools starting their own school-specific, yet still non-school-affiliated nerf assassin leagues. Everyone in school is talking about what sort of nerf shoot-outs went on the night before and when they can start playing. I think we are the largest "chapter" of nerfers in the region. There's even an interview with the local news in progress! The next game will be a war between juniors and seniors and I know my friends and I are getting very intense about it. I love camping out in some one's house or waiting after they get off of work to shoot them. Going out on hits and drive-by's are great fun. Even better is setting people up and watching them when they figure out its a trap!

I believe that the structure of game that we use to play is key to the local success we have had; If anyone would like to check out how we play, there's a web site (www.cdhnerf.cjb.net) we have with the rules we use and the current set up of the game. The rules on the site only reflect most of the rules we play by and are more extensive "in person," so to speak.

#47 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:47 AM

There are 175+ nerfers in your town/county? Holy shit, thats more than I would guess are active on NH, or that actually attend(ed) wars.

#48 N063425

N063425

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:23 AM

There are 175 nerfers in this game, as of today, in my high school. There are also other high schools who have their own games of nerf assassins as well. Each of these particular sects are largely unaffiliated with each other. While existing (in my school's case) as a school-specific "club," nerf is not affiliated with the school. Rather, all nerfers in the game I play attend my school simply to make it easier for the (soon to be) hundreds of kids playing to figure out just who it is that they are allowed to kill.

#49 pat 1st Lt

pat 1st Lt

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:17 PM

I didn't vote. I didn't really find anything like me.

I am not particularly active on the forums. I mostly peruse the Homemades section on weekends, occaisonally popping into mod's to check up on the latest crazy new idea.

I'd put myself as The Innovator I was modding Nerf guns since before I had any access to sites like this, and Nerf HQ, and Nerf Online, etc. I believed myself to be a one-in-a-million genius, taking simple, cheap plastic guns and making them formidable weapons for my Clan to play with when we were out of money for paintball.

I truly believed myself to be unique, using brass, copper, PVC, and ingenuity to create amazingly powerful guns.

Then I got the internet.

And found Nerf Haven.

And realized that I wasn't very special at all. The only thing I had to my name that was truly 'unique' was my Nite-Mav with an internal box magazine, which turned out to have already been done by Starbuck.

Then again, I guess I was sort of a 'genius' in a way, seeing as I didn't just come here and look and copy what others did. It just turns out that my 'strokes of brilliance' and 'discoveries' were average and widely known facts among the west-coast Nerf community.

Pat
QUOTE(euphemism) View Post
QUOTE(Pat) View Post

It gave the site a sort of 'homy' feeling.

Did you know that "m" can sometimes look like "rn" when read quickly?

#50 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:04 AM

Nerfer. Straight up.

I remain pretty active on the forums and try to keep my post's constructive and a contribution to the NIC. Nerfing just about weekly, while modding guns whenever I have the time and tools.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users