Bbb Clip Mod, Cobber's Style.

6 replies to this topic

#1 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:23 PM

First off I aplogise that I don't have pictures of this. I do not own a digital camera, and my girlfriend who does isn't exactly enthusiastic about the time I spend on nerf.
I'll probably pick up a disposable camera and get a picture CD made when I develop the film so I can get pictures up.

I picked up a BBB at TRU last week, and soon decided I wanted to clip mod it much like PissBacon's
I bought some 17/32" and 9/16" K&S brass, and some balsta wood from a local hobby shop. The idea is to have a non-removable, reloadable magazine that is spring fed (like Ompa's) that capitalizes on the the cocking mechanism of the BBB. It will fire 1 1/2" micro stephan's when finished.

This is an ongoing mod, as in I'm not finished with it yet. What have done so far is to make a working breach out of coat hanger wire and the brass.

1) The 17/32" section of brass acts as my barrel and breech. I cut a slot into the 17/32'nd brass that the darts are placed, manually right now and, when the magazine is finished it will feed them in here.
This section of brass has about 1" of PETG that has been forced into the stock barrel of the BBB to keep it in place, as it fits snuggly over the bass and in the stock barrel.

2) I cut a 9mm long section of 9/16" to act as the cover for my breach. It fits over the 17/32" barrel and creates an excellent seal over the breach. I used a straightened coat hanger, some hot glue and e-tape to attach the cover to the back of the BBB. I keeped the coat hanger on the outside of the gun unlike PissBacon because I want this mod to be reversable if nessecary. To keep the wire from bowing out when I push the gun together after firing I took some clear duct tape and doubled the sticky side over itself so that the tape had two non-sticky sides. Cut this in half the long way and used the two strips to hold the wire up against the outside of the gun.

3) The breech action is working fine now. You set a dart in the breach, cock the gun, which closes the breach, and fire. It's getting an easy 50 feet and good power right now. I don't have a long enough hall space to test ranges, and it freaking cold out right now in MI.
After firing you push the handles back together and the breech opens for reloading.

The clip itself is not finished because well I have law school and a life. It has three sides but I still need to get wire to make a spring for it, and put a back side. The main obstical I had was how to mount the magazine. Unlike PissBacon I have an external breach cover. Where he has a fixed breech on the outside and moves the barrel to close the action, I have a fix barrel and move the cover to close the action.

This means I can't attach the magazine to any length of the breach or barrel which the cover will move over (because it is on the outside). My solution is to make the base of the magazine longer than than the rest of the clip so I can glue/tape it onto the section of barrel behind the breach. The main draw back to this design is that it means that the breach is not as close to the plunger as I would like, and I'm likely not going to capture the full power of my BBB. Oh well.

I'm sure this is confusing to a lot of people but if I can get some pictures up it'll make a lot more sense.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#2 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 03:54 PM

Get the disposble camera and hack it to work with USB. I've heard it isn't too hard.

#3 WratH

WratH

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:51 PM

Hmm, how the EF is he supposed to get film onto pc? Seriously buddy, think before you post.
Death be not proud. Though some have called the mighty and dreadful... Thou art not so.

#4 ShadowSniper

ShadowSniper

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:25 PM

Hmm, how the EF is he supposed to get film onto pc? Seriously buddy, think before you post.

By getting one of these Posted Image

$20-$35 digital disposable camera by CVS, many ways to hack it, just do a google search. Seriously buddy, think before you post. (dont blame you though, it's a fairly new item.) :rolleyes:

Edited by ShadowSniper, 27 February 2006 - 09:26 PM.

#5 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:59 PM

I actually ment the regular camera, but same thing basically. I'm going to get it soon, and take out the IR filter and add some IR led's.

#6 Lukeinator

Lukeinator

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:03 PM

I did somthing quite similar to this with the reverse breech. Right here.
Ride it like it's stolen.

#7 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts
  • State:Texas

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:54 PM

Progress update:

I have the magazine almost entirely finished. I don't have a spring for it yet and I'm thinking of using external rubber bands instead. I'm using a length of 1/2'' brass as a guide for a piece of balsa wood that fits inside the magazine that pushes on the darts. There is a hole at the top that the brass sticks out of, and another hole at the top of the magazine on the back side that I can feed my darts into. I may change this so that the loading area is a slod on the side, which I think will prevent the darts from ending up backwards or with the front end facing down instead of forwards.

I need to reattach my coat hanger wire to the cover, as the hot glue and e-tape make it a bit too wide to slide easily past the sides of the magazine. I'm looking to use epoxy instead, which will take a bit more drying time.

The other problem with seting things up this way is that to mount the magazine, I either have to build it on the gun, if the cover is attached to the coat hanger, or build it off the gun and attach the magazine before I finish my conncetion between the bolt cover and coat hanger. This is due in part to the design of my magazine which has a small square of balsa wood on the bottom to stabilize it when I fit it over the barrel. I could cut that off but I like the extra mounting point.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users