Bbb In A Nf

aka The Big Bad Nite Finder

17 replies to this topic

#1 Lopius

Lopius

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 02:02 PM

So I got the bonus NFs with my dart tag set, so I figured I should do something original with one of them. My BBB was broken beyond repair so I desided to put it in my NF.

Posted Image

I documented the building process and I'll add it in later. I'm changing the catch a bit so that pic will be up later as well.

The insides
Posted Image

Posted Image
The goal
Posted Image
Cutting up
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Lopius, 26 February 2006 - 08:17 PM.

Lopius

#2 No-iD

No-iD

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 02:09 PM

Looks pretty sweet...Add a write-up and ranges because now I'm kind of curious. Also, does that plunger assembly stay in there pretty tight?

- No-iD -
One by one the penguins take my sanity

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) Helping bunny on his way to World Domination!

#3 Lopius

Lopius

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 02:22 PM

I can get you the ranges becuase it just broke. But I would guess its the same as the BBB but I could add bands and the such. Yes, the several times I shot it the plunger assembly seemed fairly tight. I'm looking for a better way to mount it, maybe use some plastic for the BBB.
Lopius

#4 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 02:23 PM

Tape isn't going to hold the force of that plunger. You're going to need some strong-ass glue, maybe some type of epoxy.

~ompa

#5 Lopius

Lopius

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 02:28 PM

I did glue it but I added tape just for a little extra. I didn't want to use epoxy to glue it together because the trigger mechanism I created breaks, I attempting to wokr out the bugs. So if I would have epoxyed it I would never have been able to fix it.

Edited by Lopius, 26 February 2006 - 02:30 PM.

Lopius

#6 PissBacon

PissBacon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:36 PM

I'm wondering how you got the trigger to catch at all, since when I look at it there's no way the plunger shaft could be catching anything.

Shouldn't this be in the mods section?

#7 Lopius

Lopius

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:05 PM

Yes it should be, but I messed up. Thats actually the part that keeps breaking. I had to make my own catch. But even plastic epoxy made to hold 3,500 psi broke. So I am going to have to design a new catch.

Edited by Lopius, 26 February 2006 - 08:17 PM.

Lopius

#8 Rip32

Rip32

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:31 PM

Nice mod, and idea. Hope everything works out for you.

Just wondering though shoulden't this post be in the modifications section.
http://www.break.com...iencechild.html
Funniest video ever. This kid needs some serious help

#9 PissBacon

PissBacon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:43 AM

But even plastic epoxy made to hold 3,500 psi broke.

Maybe this is obvious to you, but just because the epoxy is strong doesn't make the whole design strong. A chain's only as strong as its weakest link.

#10 Nerforbust

Nerforbust

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:15 AM

And YOU are the weakest link. That is kind of cool, but I like the BBB shell better. Just a quick question; How do you get the rubber...Thing... that is on the BBB off?

Edited by Nerforbust, 27 February 2006 - 08:16 AM.

#11 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:37 AM

You sir are insane! You tamper with forces of nerf that are best left untouched! Insane I tell you! Insane to the point of genius. This is very interesting project, I wish you the best of luck in getting your catch to function. This looks to become on of the most powerful spring pistols ever built. Don't forget to mod the barrel to maximise this thing's potential.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#12 Lopius

Lopius

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:46 PM

I'm using my highschool trained engineering "skillz" to re-craft my catch. I have tried a whole bunch of things. Hopefully my latest idea works. I should have planned that part in advance. Actually, I should have planned it out in the first place. Nerforbust, if you are refering to the plunger it just comes off but, if that's not what you're talking about I can't tell you how the rubber "thing" comes off. And for all that weakest link mumbo jumbo, the epoxy not sticking is the weakest link and there are no chains in my gun..........
Lopius

#13 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 06:27 PM

i would look into getting some sort of plastic sheeting. so you could heat it up and bend it around plunger assemblyand them glue it to the NF case from the inside so it looks clean. the you could make mounts and attach them to the newly created case. of course i havent held the this thing or shot it... yet, so this is all theoretical.

#14 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 06:38 PM

I don't know about plastic sheeting, but bondo is definitely in order for this thing once it's done.

Shouldn't you be using a longer barrel with this?
Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#15 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:59 PM

Here's an idea - Try finding a piece of PVC that will go around the entire BBB plunger, and fill it with foam and glue. That should keep it in one spot. Just an idea.

Nice idea, it could have some nice ranges if it holds together.

TS

#16 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:39 PM

I said plastic sheeting so that you could still open the gun if you needed to. Personally I like to be able to open all my guns so they can be fixed if something happens or I want to change something, but to some people it is not a big deal.

#17 Lopius

Lopius

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:07 PM

I got about 5 good shots off,before anything went wrong, with a homemade dart( a bit different that a stefan). All I can say is.... IT IS AWESOME. I shot about 65 feet and hit the wall at chest level from an even shot. I'm still perfecting the catch but my current idea seems to be working well but I am going to try and make it better. I'm so pumped for this gun to work 100%.... eventually.
Lopius

#18 Lopius

Lopius

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:18 PM

AHAHAHAHA I GOT IT TO WORK CONSISTANTLY

So basically I used a dremel to size down the BBB rod down. Ignore the little white thing, that was from my first catch that didn't work. For my new catch I ground the rod down so it looks like the NF rod.
Posted Image

Then I used a Bar B Q rod to add support. You can use anything as long as it fits inbetween the two remaining ridges.

Posted Image

Edited by Lopius, 02 March 2006 - 06:20 PM.

Lopius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users