K.i.s.s.

8 replies to this topic

#1 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:42 PM

Keep It Simple, Stupid!

After posting my slingshot, I started thinking about it again. The only thing that keeps it from being really cool is the lack of a trigger.

Then, I thought about the SNAP knockoff I've got. It's got a clothespin trigger. Simple.

Before, I had thought I would need a two-prong trigger like on a crossbow. It's not terribly difficult or complicated, but there's a billion different ways for it to suck.

Finally I put all this crap together and came up with an extremely simple design:

Posted Image

It runs off surgical tubing, which I didn't draw in. It goes in the slot on the upper barrel. The slot runs up to about an inch from the muzzle. Pulling back the pump handle pulls back the tubing, which I would cock back with a clothespin trigger. That's it, really.

The barrel and that pipe under the barrel are both 1" PVC. This is because:

*It fits really nice in 1 1/4" (pump handle)
*I don't need it to seal, but I would like to be able to shoot different things
*I have lots of it

I haven't built it, so I don't know about the performance, but judging from the slingshot, it should be alright. It will at least be cheap and easy to make.
Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#2 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:53 PM

Pretty cool. Would this allow for the end-barrel shell ejection system you were talking about? This sounds like the "linear catapult" it would need.....
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#3 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:59 PM

Nah, I doubt this would be powerful enough for that. I'm saving that for an air cannon.

I've been thinking about ammo feed for this. If I could figure out how to turn that extra tube into a lateral mag, that would be perfect, but I'm not exactly counting on it. The problem is, I would need something (like a pipe) to follow the tubing through the barrel and prevent things from feeding behind the tubing. This would add lots of mass, which would slow it down. This is unless I can figure something else out involving the pump handle. I guess I could just attach a hopper on top of it, which would line up with a hole in the back. The problem there is that the pipe would get really weak with all those holes in it. If anyone comes up with something, I would love to hear it. I plan to get started on this tomorrow.

#4 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:26 PM

If you just use SCH80 1/2" pvc as your barrel, within the 1" pvc you're proposing, I don't think a hole for a bolt or just being a hole would be too big of an issue. If you can run rods back from the pump, you could use the rods to open a bolt to allow darts in.

~ompa

#5 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:40 PM

I'm pretty set on the 1", because I intend to spend very little on this project. Plus, I only use jumbos.

Perhaps I could use a thick rope as a bolt? That might be a bit heavy, though. Maybe a big piece of FBR?

#6 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:50 PM

A big piece of FBR would be one f'ed up bolt, but I suppose it would work. Maybe a large hunk of that pink insulating foam might be a little more firm, and you could core out the center without any real loss in outer ring shape, assuming you're firing the air through the bolt.

~ompa

#7 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:56 PM

nope, no air involved. It's just a slingshot with a trigger.

Edited by davidbowie, 25 February 2006 - 01:37 AM.

#8 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:40 AM

Bump!

ALRIGHTY!

It's kinda done. It's all functional, but it's not quite pretty and it will take some tweaking.

It outperforms my SNAP knockoff by a bit, and I'm hoping it will get even better with work.

It's pretty much what I posted in the drawing, except I haven't thickened the grip yet, that second tube under the barrel isn't on there, there isn't a stock yet, and I added a big post on top of the barrel to hold the surgical tubing.

I need to put some kinda sleeve around the tubing so that it slides better in the slits and fires without as much trigger pull.

I can post pictures if you want, but otherwise I think I'll wait until it isn't so ugly.

#9 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 04:33 PM

Posted Image

That's what I got so far. I put a stock on it today, and fixed a few bugs I've been having.

I used an actual cotter pin for the firing pin, but it still needs some adjusting.

The buttplate is just hot glued on, so it will need some work. It's a section cut out of the back of a plastic chair.

It shoots alright, but it's not terribly reliable. Some shots are quite powerful, and some seem kinda lame.

I plan to widen the slots on it soon, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users