2 Methods For Barrel Extension

retractable and one c/o chap stick

3 replies to this topic

#1 ambushbug

ambushbug

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:50 PM

I've been playing around with different ideas for adding brass barrel extensions for my blasters. I've used the coupler (nesting 9/16 over a 17/32 stub) method but I find that its a little slow and the 9/16 barrels sometimes fly off. I also don't like carrying a bunch of extra barrels around.

I came up with a method for adding a little more barrel to my muzzle-loading blasters without slowing reload times. A 9/16 piece which retracts (via a spring) when loading and automatically slides forward when firing.

I added this to an SM750 I recently found at a local thrift shop:

Posted Image

I added some e-tape around the cpvc for a tight fit.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The spring was an air restrictor from an SM3K (I think)
Posted Image

I had to sand out some of the inner diameter of the orange ring in the blaster chassis.
Posted Image

to be continued (image limits)...

#2 ambushbug

ambushbug

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:57 PM

Posted Image

I cut out the trigger guard to make more room form my hand -tiny handle!
Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the barrel at full length.
Posted Image

This is the barrel retracted.
Posted Image

Again, because this is a muzzle-loaded blaster, I couldn't make the 9/16 piece very long so I only get anothr 2.5-3inches of extension. Not much, but it can't hurt. I can't do any official range testing (and my basement is in shambles) but it does seem to add a few extra feet. I'm thinking about using springs for my next nested brass/breech barrel.

to be continued (chap stick barrel) ...

[edit: I forgot to mention - I plugged the pump as usual - the general aspects of the mod was adapted from Cxwq's on the mod directory)]

Edited by ambushbug, 22 February 2006 - 09:15 PM.

#3 ambushbug

ambushbug

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:12 PM

I also realized that the plastic tube for my used lip-balm (actually Burt's Bees - not Chap Stick) is also a good tight fit for my micros. Furthermore, the cap fit nicely over a 9/16 brass tube. This means that when the tube is "capped", the barrel extension clicks into place and no more barrel extensions flying/sliding off.

Posted Image

Posted Image

the nice thing is that the yellow tube has a hole in the base that is of narrower diameter (so that the darts cannot be "sucked" backwards towards the plunger - though the tight fit would probably prevent it anyway). Another plus, is that the tube fits perfectly into a 1/2" CPVC coupler. It stays in place even without glue (I did anyway).
Posted Image

Posted Image

This barrel is currently being used on my MaxShot (below) and my ERTL FS1010 (not shown).
Posted Image

Again, no official range testing but I think it suffices to say that it works well. The only thing is that the brass can't be too long (e.g. the full 12") or its weight makes the cap/barrel somewhat crooked.

Nothing revolutionary but just some new fodder for the mod-idea mill.

*Sorry for the virtually non-existent write-up (I'm in a rush) but I think you guys can figure it out from the pics alone.

#4 MysticNinja

MysticNinja

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:03 AM

Nice mods with lots of pics.
(Though I really only clicked this thread 'cause I assumed thereā€™d already be penis jokes)
An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users