Photo

Stefan Length

11 replies to this topic

#1 Whatitis

Whatitis

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 10:52 PM

I've been wondering about this a while and was going to experiment on stefans but decided to come here in the interest of saving time, money and foam other than the fact that I was too lazy. What is the best length of stefans and does it vary with the gun? Thanks for any answers, unless they aren't any good.
What?! No! I sell propane!

#2 mr box

mr box

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 10:54 PM

1.5 inches works best in powerclips. Longer for high powered long barreled guns, 2.5 or 3 inches maybe? Better get Cxwq or Spoon to confirm that, I know little about high-quality stefan making :D
"Oh and Box, you have quoted me incorrectly so fix your sig!"
~Spoon

#3 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 11:37 PM

The length of your penis.
"The occasional hell or damn is ok,
but we do sh*t and F---"

~Webbster, Foam Improvement.

"I got four points... I sackled you"

#4 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 11:55 PM

i'm pretty sure that spoon/cxwq darts are close to 2.25". i make mine that length too.
You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#5 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 12:31 AM

2.5" is a good compromise for mid to high power guns and is what I use. Shorter darts seem to work well in low power guns and longer darts seem to work well in high power guns.

Generally, don't bother with anything below 1.5" or above 4" since those are the two extremes that I've seen work well. The former in a PC and the latter in a very high power homemade.

This may seem obvious but the weight you use will have a big effect on what the best dart length is for each gun. Again, I compromise with 1/4" steel shot. Low power guns are fine with bbs and high power guns are better off with size 3/0 or 7 split shot. So pick a length and weight that is appropriate for the guns you typically use.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#6 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 04:29 AM

2.5" is a good compromise for mid to high power guns and is what I use...
...So pick a length and weight that is appropriate for the guns you typically use.

I agree; I'm afraid that the only way to find the "happy medium" is for you to experiment with both stefan length, and weight, until you find the combination that yields a true flying, straight shooting dart with your guns. The extremes give you either tumblers or whirlybirds, both ineffective unless you plug someone from five feet.

Plus, at 3 bucks for FBR, 2 bucks for some size BB or 3/0 weights, and couple cents for some hot glue, it won't dent your wallet to experiment. Go for it!
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#7 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 10:27 AM

I've found that it is best to make foot long stefans. You may have to modify most of your barrels to a longer length, but they tend to fly sideways and cover a much larger airspace and therefore hit much more often.
Name's Ash, Housewares

#8 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 11:32 AM

I've found that it is best to make foot long stefans. You may have to modify most of your barrels to a longer length, but they tend to fly sideways and cover a much larger airspace and therefore hit much more often.

Now this is truly useful information!

Do you find that you need a weight at both ends to achieve this sideways flight?

I wonder if the idea could be extended arbitrarily... 5 foot darts? 8?

I'm going to slap a 10 foot barrel on my Max Shot right away to test this out!
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#9 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 12:48 PM

Hahah! I ACTUALLY made an eleven and a half inch 5/8IN diameter FBR stefan. I used NO weights.. just filled the end with hot glue. In Sven (my EAB), when he was just PVC'd, I think I got about fifty-five feet. A regular mega stefan went a measured 63' feet, so I took an estimate of fifty five (good estimate =D). I also noticed that later in flight the dart kind of wobbled and tilted, but generally flew straight. Weird.. maybe we should experiment with Superlong penis darts.
"The occasional hell or damn is ok,
but we do sh*t and F---"

~Webbster, Foam Improvement.

"I got four points... I sackled you"

#10 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 02:38 PM

For my weight i use # 6 washers in a hole inside the dart in the front made by a match covered in duct tape... I want to glue tip the fronts, and have seen it on darts alot, but glueing it will just make the dart smaller by melting it...how do you use hot glue on a dart without shrinking it?
[EDIT]nevermind, right after i wrote that, i made one, and it works great...looks like usinga low temperature one did make a diffeence:)[EDIT]
ko

#11 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 02:44 PM

Glue tips are mandatory unless you want your weights flying out and hitting someone in the eye. Hot glue won't melt the FBR, you just prop the dart up straight (using sections of PVC works well for this), dab some glue on until it almost covers the top, then let it sit until it cools.
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#12 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 09:28 PM

Cx - I found that placing the weight in the center of the dart is best if you want maximum spinnage.
Name's Ash, Housewares

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users