Works In Progress, Paintjobs And Misc.

A few of the guns I'm working on.

3 replies to this topic

#1 Anima

Anima

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:48 AM

School has kept me from doing much serious work on my Nerf guns, but I got some painting done tonight. I'll be modifying each of these as best I can as well, (especially the Sharpshooter II...its ranges are pathetic) though there isn't a whole lot to be done to a DoubleShot if you want to retain the shell ejection.

Chromed Doubleshot barrels. I laid down a coat of plastic primer, then a coat of chrome Duplicolor spraypaint. Once it had dried, I lightly sanded the barrels to remove dust and debris, then gave it a second coat of chrome.
Posted Image

This shows a stock DoubleShot next to the one I'm working on. The stock has been colored with Duplicolor gloss black vinyl dye, and the hinged compartment with metallic silver Rustoleum spraypaint (The plastic of the compartment cover was incompatible with vinyl dye). The 'pump', not pictured, has been coated in plastidip for a nice flat black tactical-grip look.
Posted Image

This is the Firefly I've been working on. It's a lot of work to mask off that much area, so this has been moving rather slowly. On one side I've done the olive-drab plating and the chrome machinery-details, while on the other half of the gun I haven't gotten to the chrome yet. The blue will be black when I'm finished, and I'll do some more detail-work in the machinery section. (Blue and red cables, etc.) I've removed the air restrictors in this one.
Posted Image
Posted Image

My second Plastidip experiment. I masked off the handle of the Sharpshooter II I painted awhile back, and hit it with a coat of the spray-can version of Plastidip. (I used the dip-version for the DoubleShot's pump.) It's actually indistinguishable in color when you aren't shining a bright camera flash on it, and it feels nice, affording you a much better grip.
Posted Image

And yes, another Maverick in the works. This one needed a coat of adhesion promoter, then a Metalcast ground coat before I could apply the red anodized-simulating Metalcast paint. It's very easy to spray too long and end up with a color darker than what you wanted, which is what happened here. It looks like a glitter-covered Raver bled all over it. :P Oh well. I'll be doing the butt, slide, and top-rail in flat black...and I'll probably try plastidipping this one's grip as well. This one will have the air restrictors removed, and it's already been modified to allow the cylinder to roll out fully. I'll try the additional spring under the front orange cap on the cylinder this time too, see how it works out.
Posted Image
On the web, your language skills are your appearance and odor. Don't be a smelly elephant man.

#2 Enigma1313

Enigma1313

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:50 PM

Looks like you've been making productive use of your time, Anima. I must say that I completely love what you've done with the Double Shot. The Chromed barrels look fantastic. The firefly look pretty good, too...can't wait until its finished.
"Excellence over Compassion. Hatred over Foregiveness. Dedication before Forfeit. So is the way of the Enigma."
-Excerpt from the Preamble of the Enigma Code.

#3 Nerforbust

Nerforbust

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:24 PM

How do you mask off your guns? I tried to use painters tape but it didnt work too well. Also, how much did the vinyl dye cost, and where did you get it?

#4 Anima

Anima

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:43 PM

Go to http://www.tinhnerf....pBB2/portal.php
Look in the article section of the site, and click the modifications folder. I wrote a long article in there on Painting your Nerf guns, which will probably answer your questions.

I use blue 3M painter's tape to mask parts when I need to, or liquid mask (you brush it on, and wash it and the paint that was sprayed on it off when you're done) if it's a finicky spot to mask.

You must make sure the edges of the tape are pressed snug to the plastic, or paint will leak underneath it. You can also use saran wrap, or a plastic bag, with the edges sealed down with tape if you have a *large* area you want to mask off.
On the web, your language skills are your appearance and odor. Don't be a smelly elephant man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users