Photo

Cad

This better not be a dead topic

5 replies to this topic

#1 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Location:West Michigan, in a basement, chained to a wall, with nothing but a puter and a NiteFinder to keep me busy.

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:24 PM

A few friends and I are good with computers, just different aspects of them, so we decided to start doing computer work for people at our school. It's I that builds and modifies cases to keep even an 80% overclocked processor cold to the touch while they can create the guts. I currently am only using a leadholder and other drafting tools to create the custom cases on paper. Quite frankly, however, I'd like something a bit more, computerized? My uncle is currently working on getting me some software he is experienced with but until then can anyone recomend a good, umm, free, program? Enlightening me on computer aided design would also be nice, as I only know some stuff, but I can do that on my own.

<EDIT> Bleck, I reread my post and almost threw up at my grammer.</EDIT>

Edited by GeneralPrimevil, 11 February 2006 - 05:49 PM.

"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#2 baelnorn

baelnorn

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:13 PM

Try rhino. Here.
There also is the Alibre Design Suite that they were giving away for free a while ago, I'm not too sure if you can still get it for free though.

Baelnorn

#3 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Location:West Michigan, in a basement, chained to a wall, with nothing but a puter and a NiteFinder to keep me busy.

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:04 PM

Thanks.

I just downloaded it and wrote it to my puter. I'm about to start transfering my current project to it to get a feel for the program. It seems to be based on whats-it-called something-or-other. My knowledge has escaped me.

<EDIT> Okay, I get the gist of it. The program is much simpler to use when entering commands a distances/points using typing, not freehand. I knew that before I started, just need to learn the commands now. </EDIT>

Edited by GeneralPrimevil, 11 February 2006 - 07:16 PM.

#4 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:58 PM

Okay, this is a double post, and reviving an older topic, but this is my thread. I didn't want to start a new thread about the same thing, so here;s my question about that program: How does one color a plygram or surface? I seem not be able to figure it out. Any help would be nice related to this.

#5 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,190 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/MeakerVI on Reddit

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:08 AM

I believe you need to edit the shaders to get different colors, but in my opinion rhino is not the way to go. Although it may be the cheapest thing you can get for making designs at all, but I would really recommend Auto-CAD. It is the single best drafting program out there. If you want 3-D modeling, then rhino should work just fine.

And Rhino doesn't provide many options for coloring, and it isn't very good at rendering. Unless you get the addons, Flamingo and Penguin (I think).

And to actually attempt to solve your problem directly (it's been awhile since I've used it though), I think you click the rainbow-colored sphere on the top somewhere and it will bring up the shaders window. You should be able to select your parts and assign shaders to them. But the key words to look for in order to color things are "shader," "texture," and "render."

Good luck on that.

#6 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 06:50 PM

sub-optimale sehr. I'll mess with the shade tools again.

Yeah, this is only temporary until I get what my uncle used at General Motors, or Steel Case, I can't remember what place he received it from. Once the 36th of this month comes around, I should have the software. THe 27th is when I'll probably download it (from CD, 3.5" floppy, 5.25" floppy*, what-have-he) to my computer.

*Yes, I do actually still have access to a 5.25" floppy drive. My brother and I use the puter it's in to transfer the 5.25" stuff to CD, flash drives, 3.5" floppy, whatever format we need it on. That's how we have the original Wolfenstein. :D

<EDIT> Screw it, I'll wait til I get the full version of a CAD program. Can't wait til Saturday.</EDIT>

Edited by GeneralPrimevil, 19 February 2006 - 06:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users