How it all comes together

6 replies to this topic

#1 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:38 AM

Posted Image
Begin with a holder, I like a piece of wood with 1/2" holes drilled in it, other people like 1/2-3/4" pieces of PETG, it depends on what you prefer. This particular one holds 200 blanks.

Posted Image
Filling 200 holes with blanks takes a while, I suggest watching TV or something while you do it. It's a mindless activity.

Posted Image
This is the trick that I discovered a little while back. A cheap little Weller soldering iron will make a hole that's just about perfectly sized for a Copperhead BB. You just have to be careful not to keep it in the foam too long or it will melt everything around it and make a larger hole.

Posted Image
For Single BB darts, a quick dip about 1/4" in will work perfectly. For Type D you need to go about 1/2" as quickly as possible to avoid overmelt, and for type S you need to go in about 3/8" and hold for a second so a larger diameter is created.

Posted Image
Once the holes are made, insert your chosen weight. Notice the difference in the hole size from the top row to the bottom row.

Posted Image
Then you fill in with hot glue and you're all done. Top row is Single BB, Second is Type D, Third is Type S.

You just have to be careful not to let the hot glue gun sit for too long or it'll get so hot that it'll melt right through the dart. You want the glue to be only semi-liquid, not running like water.

So there you have it, that's how I do my stefans that I both use and sell. Hope you enjoyed.

#2 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:03 AM

I want to know how you apply the hot glue. Domes have always been the hardest part for me, which is alright, because they affect the accuracy of the darts less than any other factor (with straight cuts being at the highest impact). Nice domes just make the darts look much better.
Do you do a swirl around the weight, or a flow right on top of it or what? Swirl from the weight out maybe?
Blacksunshine, your input on this would be fantastic. Your domes always look really nice.
Also, what power glue guns do you use to make the domes?
Teehee.

#3 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:21 AM

I want to know how you apply the hot glue. Domes have always been the hardest part for me, which is alright, because they affect the accuracy of the darts less than any other factor (with straight cuts being at the highest impact). Nice domes just make the darts look much better.
Do you do a swirl around the weight, or a flow right on top of it or what? Swirl from the weight out maybe?
Blacksunshine, your input on this would be fantastic. Your domes always look really nice.
Also, what power glue guns do you use to make the domes?

Straight down from the center of the weight, pool it upwards and then swirl until the glue string attaching the dome to the gun breaks.

The glue will settle into a very nice dome that way. Don't move the gun while the glue is flowing, after you stop pulling the trigger lift up slightly and swirl. Let gravity form the dome for you.

I use a 10w mini-glue gun. I tried it with a 40w and it melted the shit out of everything and even a 20w gets too hot if you leave it sit for more than a minute or two. The 10w is a good power for darts.

#4 OnyxZenith

OnyxZenith

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:11 PM

If you want a perfect dome. Just add the hot glue and before it melts dip it in ice cold water for 10 seconds or less, depening on how cold the water is. And you willbhave a nice round hard tip (no pun please) :(
SoothSayer-

"Just adding some lube and twisting it back and forth for a while should make it easier"

Subscribe to my Music page and mods >> http://www.youtube.com/user/OnyxMP312

#5 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:15 AM

Hmmm...The board with the holes iis a good idea, I just use a old grate from a ironing board right now.
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#6 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:51 AM

If you want a perfect dome. Just add the hot glue and before it melts dip it in ice cold water for 10 seconds or less, depening on how cold the water is. And you willbhave a nice round hard tip (no pun please) :)

Your weight can move around if you do that.
I burn a big hole, nearing the outside edges of the foam. Then I drop my weight in and fill up the hole a little past the top. the glue actually fulls some of the foam in, curving the top of the dart.
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

#7 hereticorp

hereticorp

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:06 AM

If you want a perfect dome. Just add the hot glue and before it melts dip it in ice cold water for 10 seconds or less, depening on how cold the water is. And you willbhave a nice round hard tip (no pun please) :)

Your weight can move around if you do that.
I burn a big hole, nearing the outside edges of the foam. Then I drop my weight in and fill up the hole a little past the top. the glue actually fulls some of the foam in, curving the top of the dart.

Moving the dart at all before the glue is set can cause bad things to happen with both the dome and the weight, I don't favor the ice water method at all.

It's extremely hard to get a consistent dome if you're pumping a ton of glue into each dart, especially if you don't have enough foam at the edge to keep the sides from bowing out due to the sheer weight of the glue.

Besides, if you put a ton of glue in, it changes the weight profile of the dart and you want consistency more than anything with darts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users