Photo

Chrome Versus Silver

I need opinions, from laymen to experts.

8 replies to this topic

Poll: Which looks better on a Maverick cylinder: chrome, or silver?

Which looks better on a Maverick cylinder: chrome, or silver?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Anima

Anima

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:39 AM

Alright, the Mavericks I've painted in the past have used a Rustoleum metallic silver paint that looked okay, or silver vinyl dye by Duplicolor. Recently though I've been trying out this Krylon Chrome paint, and I personally like the results.

Take a look at the photos. (One with the flash, one without. The flashed pic gives you an idea of how reflective each is, while the natural-light one shows the difference in tones better.)

Posted Image

Which do you think looks better?

It isn't a straight comparison I know, the silver one has a black top and bottom (something I decided to try this time around) but it's close enough. The silver one is vinyl dye. Superior adhesion/durability. The chrome will need a few clear-coats before I feel safe installing it in a Maverick.
On the web, your language skills are your appearance and odor. Don't be a smelly elephant man.

#2 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:46 AM

I'm digging the one on the left. If that had a black top and bottom I would love it.

Anima you have been doing great work on painting these guns. Please stray away from the maverick. Seeing all these paintjobs on the maverick is like finding a new favorite song but then it becomes overplayed. Within the month you swear if you hear it one more time you are going to rip off your own arm and beat yourself to death with it. I want to see painting talents used in other ways.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But Iím just not the angel you knew.

#3 Dys70pia

Dys70pia

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:58 AM

Chrome is cool and all, but it actually looks artificial next to the slightly more matte silver. If you tried to use both, it would be too much, I think.

Stick with the silver, and use more colors. With colors like silver, chrome, and gold, less is more!

#4 Anima

Anima

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm not going to stop painting Mavericks. Yes, I realize it isn't a powerful gun. Yes, I realize everyone and their dog is painting Mavericks now.

I am painting other guns. I'm half-done painting a Firefly up to look like a Marine-issue BFG, and my black and chrome Sharpshooter II just needs a few finishing touches before I'm ready to leave it alone.

I'm half-done with a painted Double Shot. Just need to dip the 'grip' part in plastidip a few times and reassemble it.

After that I have plans to paint the Expand-a-blast, Lock 'n Load, and SuperMaxx 3000 I acquire through Ebay.

At the moment though, I have commissioned Mavericks to make, and I'm not always right in what *I* think looks good, thus the poll. I'll keep painting Mavericks, simply because they are the best looking and most comfortable gun I have ever used by Nerf. It's a shame they don't perform as well as a NF or a LNL, and I'll do what I can to improve their performance, but I'm not about to give up on them.

Everyone may be doing it now, but that doesn't matter to me. I will continue doing new things with them, trying better paints, and adding ridiculous things like pressure-sensor laser sights. I will strive to be the best at what I do, and let the customer decide who to buy their painted Mavericks from. (And later, their Double Shots, Rapid Fire Rifles, Nitefinders, etc. too. <_< )
On the web, your language skills are your appearance and odor. Don't be a smelly elephant man.

#5 nevome

nevome

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:16 AM

For some reson ive notcied when I paint something chrome, it looks like it was painted where as particularly on my mav, the silver on the rotator came out very pleasing and looked like cast aluminum as oposed to painted plastic. I prefer the silver (though you aren't painting my gun so it doesn't hurt me one bit if you use chrome on any of your stuff).

And amen to not giving up on the mav! Remember that most nerf blaster don't get nearly the range unmodded as thier modded cousins. I'm sure there are mods to make the mav a formidable blaster, we just need to keep innovating until we find them.

Keep up the great work Anima, your paint jobs inspired a few custom sprayed nerf guns here on our campus!

#6 cybermystic

cybermystic

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:38 PM

I like the chrome better. And as far as mavericks are concerned, I don't care that they don't fire as well either. If it's a question of style over substance, my money's on style any day.

As is the same for anybody who paints a nerf gun because they don't like the look of the thing, really.

Edited by cybermystic, 09 February 2006 - 06:38 PM.

#7 Mattf

Mattf

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:56 PM

I think the silver is nice.. The chrome looks sorta peachy / bold / fake. I don't know how to describe it.

I intend to paint my gun barrel and grip like this, and then make the rest black.

Perhaps with highlights of another color, but I don't know how bad that would look.

#8 Powersniper

Powersniper

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 01:16 AM

I'm... they both kind of look like silver to me but I like the one on the left... I like shiny things... and squeaky things for that matter. Which ever someone were to use, depending on the other color(s) paint it has on the rest of the gun, it could look awsome, or like total shit...
David- HOLY CRAP!!!!
Me- WHAT?!?!
David- Uhh... I forgot.

#9 Gman

Gman

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:45 AM

i dont like gloss on my guns i go for a nice dull but rich finish
*Piney is a sig nazi*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users