Nerf Rifle?

I start to build...

11 replies to this topic

#1 NirvanaScorpion

NirvanaScorpion

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 12:49 PM

Hey, this is my first post, and I have been told Im crazy from many people for even trying but Im just trying to get my self a basic nerf rifle, so...

Here is my plan, I saw a nice cork gun for $15, I was wondering if I glue this all together if anyone had any tips or ideas.

Cork gun>washer for a more straight wind of air>2-2 1/2 brass pipe>Dart with the hole in the back glued off.

Anyone have any tips or ideas for me, MUCH APRECIATED for my first homemade...without buying the cork gun part
"If rock n rolls illegal throw my a** in jail" - Kurt Cobain

Guitar Heroes-Jimmy Paige, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain

Newly Found(thanks General)-Yngwie Malmstein, this guy is an accoustic expert.

#2 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 02:15 PM

Welcome, enjoy your stay...

Umm...I don't fully follow what you mean, so I'll try and say what I think you said...

The air output of the cork gun is shitty, so you are going to channel it through a washer, increasing the velocity of the air due to the Venturi effect, which will then hit the back of a dart in a 2" to 2.5" brass nipple in pipe diameter 1/2"?, shooting a stock Nerf dart with the hole filled with glue. Was I close? If I was, then I recommend against brass. Go with either black pipe. It costs less and is more durable. That and it comes prepainted ^_^ .

Also, I'm not sure if that pipe length will do any good. A Crayola barrel might work better, but it depends on a few things.
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#3 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 02:34 PM

are you talking about one of those pop guns with the cork tied to a string, and you pump it to fire? The air output is very, very low on those, so I'd recommend finding another toy to modify.
Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#4 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 11:48 PM

The best idea is to just give it a try. We could argue for weeks on how well it would work, but few of us actually know the physics equations to apply to the situation. At only ~$15 in cost, it's worth giving a shot and reporting to us. We tend to shun theoretical topics around here. The best learning experience you could have with this is to just dive right in and try to figure it out. Don't forget to take pictures.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#5 NirvanaScorpion

NirvanaScorpion

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:27 PM

General, lol yes you are very right. And yea the air output will probably be nothing, but I was also looking for a way to increase the air...any ideas? Also does anyone vote against or for the washer? Yea Im trying to get a straighter force of air to concentrate so basically hommeade darts and plugged stock will only do...Yes I think im going to try this thing, And as Ideas come for the air flow, I can modify. So what im asking now is does anyone vote for the washer or do they think air is going to be left back? and also anyone with an idea to add windflow? Pleas epost here but thank you for the help so far :rolleyes:

P.S. yea, and as I said Im a newcomer to nerf and the site so sorry but crayola barrel? And yea Ill look into black piping instead, thanks.

Edited by NirvanaScorpion, 13 March 2006 - 04:30 PM.

#6 NirvanaScorpion

NirvanaScorpion

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:53 PM

DELETED DUE TO ACCIDENTAL DOUBLE POST

Edited by NirvanaScorpion, 13 March 2006 - 07:54 PM.

#7 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:12 PM

Ummm...Crayola marker with rear popped off and front felt tip plus first .25" sawed off. That's not the best way of saying it, but...someone else tell 'em.

take your wrench and twist and pull the back of the marker off, then take a saw and cut off the frond drawing tip, pull out the ink and walla! a crayola barrel, you will need to sand down the inside.

I found that after about 12 seconds of Google. I deserve a cookie for the biblio-quote title. :rolleyes:

Edit: I can't get rid of that "@" symbol...damn thingamabobber...

Edited by GeneralPrimevil, 13 March 2006 - 08:15 PM.

#8 NirvanaScorpion

NirvanaScorpion

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:17 PM

Ok thanks, So black piping or crayola barrel? And anyone for the airflow, for or against the washer? Thanks again foir everyones help but PLEASE KEEP IT UP because Im sorta lost, so people reading, help me? pleasE?

#9 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 06:11 AM

Crayola more than likely, if it has the prospected gun has the output. This could take several tries to get it right, so don't make the first barrel too permanent. Might need to have a less-restricted Crayola, which would involve hacking of more of the small end. Don't do that yet. Try first to see how well it shoots.

The black pipe is heavier than the brass or copper (whatever you first posted), yet more durable and costs less over here. I dunno about that where you are however.

#10 NirvanaScorpion

NirvanaScorpion

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:37 AM

ok, so ill buy black piping anyway because I have a marker laying around somewhere, and it is cheap here. Now all I have to see is if anyone can help me with the washer idea? Im basically all set so thanks for the help so far again people.

#11 CaMbLaM

CaMbLaM

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:15 AM

I assume you know how nerf guns work. Assuming you do I would encourage you to just give it your best shot. Then if it doesn’t work, post pictures and explain how you made it. If you don't understand how nerf guns work, I have a nine page report that sums it up nicely I could send it to you. Then after reading that I would attempt to build your home made.

If this is your first encounter with nerf guns I would recommend that you start off and buy a cheap side arm and try moding that first so you get the feel of what its like to mod. Then go on to build your home made.

#12 NirvanaScorpion

NirvanaScorpion

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 04:46 PM

Yes, I do understand the basic meaning and structure of the nerf guns. But as a newcomer, yea I would love to read your report. Please PM it to me? Or do you need an E-mail? I can buy this gun anytime, so does anyone maybe have a gun laying around for a low price I could maybe mod? If so please PM or post the price and gun here. Can anyone else help me t=with the airflow?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users