Maverick Barrel Extension Idea

with conceptual sketch included

7 replies to this topic

#1 TheCheatIsNotDead

TheCheatIsNotDead

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:58 PM

Hello friends! I've been thinking about how to improve the Maverick (my favorite Nerf gun), and have come to several conclusions.

1. Barrel extensions on powerful guns are a good thing.
2. The Maverick's weak air chamber makes the maverick a NOT powerful gun.
3. The Nite Finder IS a moderately powerful gun.
4. The rotating barrel of the Maverick makes extending the barrels impossible.

Well, not one to quit, I've been thinking about how it would work, and have come up with a concept sketch for your viewing enjoyment.

Posted Image

I wasn't going for a perfect drawing, so bear with me. Also sorry about the date.

If the front of the Maverick could be actually SAWED OFF with a clean straight cut from some point inside the word 'Maverick', straight up, we could start something.

The top part of the gun that has just been sawed off is useless. Completely remove until halfway through where the orange cap is. Throw away.

Now, extend the barrel as you would any other gun. I'm not sure how long is reccomended.

Lastly, an extension peice would have to bridge the two bottom parts of the gun that have been sawed apart. I used a peice of wood in the drawing, but I'm sure you can think of something better. Ideally, the gun would still be able to be taken apart with only a screwdriver.

Now that you have the extended barrel and such together, the grey swinging arms must be secured. Now that the top part is not interfereing with the barrel, it can easily be reloaded like a FireFly. These peices would be glued down probably with gorilla glue or something similar.

The Metal rod within the barrel that goes all the way through would be trashed, and replaced with a custom new rod, identical as close as possible, but longer. This would be figured out after the barrel length was done of course. Some filler plastic may be desired to fill the new gaps between all the extended barrels for stability. Bondo would work nicely.

Lastly, a NiteFinder air chamber would be spliced into the Maverick. This would allow it to have the increased power that would make it more effective. However, if it could be modified to make it so it could still be 'cocked back' as opposed to having to use the 'pull ring', so that the higher rate of fire could still be used.

What do you think? I've put a lot of thought into this, and it should all work IN THEORY.
However, theory can't hold a candle to experience, which I have very little of.

Constructive criticism please! Tell me if you think this is even possible, much less worthwhile.
Soon, I'm going to go pick up the neccessicary supplies and try to build this ambitious gun.

Feedback please! Also, please don't be nasty if I said something stupid.

~TCIND
It is impossible to govern a country with 120 different types of cheese.

#2 malekith

malekith

• Banned
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:58 PM

That in my opinion looks very diffucult but very possible I say go for it but wood not such a good idea try some plasticard(A.K.A. Sheet Styrene found at hub hobby or Michaels) $5.00 for a paper sized sheet but a little thicker it is expensive so use it wisely and carefully!
Good Luck and have fun!! :D :)
by the way if it works put the mod online with some ranges That looks like a fun Idea

-malekith

p.s. The drawing isnt so bad better then what I could do

Edited by malekith, 24 January 2006 - 06:59 PM.

my favorite things to say:

Hehehe shooting people with foam darts is fun!!

Congratulations you have reached the ultimate level of stupidity!!

no really

Haa your funny

#3 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:07 PM

I think that either Lefty over at NHQ or Falcon has been trying to do a Nite Maverick for a bit now. I remember seeing a pic not too long ago. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

TS

*Just kidding. It was BMZ, I just read the other topic by TCIND.

Edited by Team_Slaya, 24 January 2006 - 07:09 PM.

#4 TheCheatIsNotDead

TheCheatIsNotDead

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:55 PM

That in my opinion looks very diffucult but very possible I say go for it but wood not such a good idea try some plasticard(A.K.A. Sheet Styrene found at hub hobby or Michaels) $5.00 for a paper sized sheet but a little thicker it is expensive so use it wisely and carefully!
Good Luck and have fun!! :)  :)
by the way if it works put the mod online with some ranges That looks like a fun Idea

-malekith

p.s. The drawing isnt so bad better then what I could do

Thanks for the feedback! But could you explain this 'plasticard' stuff? I don't understand what it is, and google is just giving me crap about credit cards...

Also, one more question... I've heard that with extended barrels, you need to I think BLOW them down into the chamber to make sure there's a proper fit. With a Maverick, it would really slow down it's reloading time and such...

Any helpful tips?

Also, how long should the extended barrels be?

Any more feedback/comments/suggestions are reccomended and extremely welcome from all!

~TCIND
It is impossible to govern a country with 120 different types of cheese.

#5 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:07 PM

For your reload time may I suggest a modified version of Zero's Speedloader. Just do the same thing buty make it a turret like the mav's.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#6 Peter

Peter

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:25 AM

after having tinkered with this gun for many hours, such a barrel mode would be unhelpful in my opinion..

UNLESS

Unless you fix the seal, or make it have more power some other way..

I myself was thinking of doing a 2k integration somehow...

Sometiems math class gets boring :)

Edited by Peter, 25 January 2006 - 12:26 AM.

igitur qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum

#7 malekith

malekith

• Banned
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:18 PM

Okay plasti card is basically what it says Plastic Sheet Card you can buy it in different colors shapes and sizes but the most changing thing is the thickness
you can get paper thickness to about a 1 inch thickness I think maybe..... a 1/8 inch or 1/16 inch thick sheet would be very good for this specific project to help you visualize plasticard as much as possible... imagine a pvc pipe unrolled into the size of a piece of paper but thicker that is essentially what it is I will put Up pics ASAP but it may take me a week or so...never mind

If you want I will purchase it for you.. just pm me I can easily access a hub hobby and get you a sheet or two

http://www.hobbylinc...ls/pls91105.htm
GOOD DEAL!!! 3 sheets the right size and all I think I will take up this offer! if anyone else is interested click here or copy and paste into address bar if that doesnt work

When you search google try "Sheet Styrene" try that thats what I did and whala! there it is

Good Luck

sorry about the length wanted to clearly explain!

-Malekith- :)

length sould be about 4 inches that would be a nice start

Edited by malekith, 25 January 2006 - 04:34 PM.

my favorite things to say:

Hehehe shooting people with foam darts is fun!!

Congratulations you have reached the ultimate level of stupidity!!

no really

Haa your funny

#8 SPU-Nerf

SPU-Nerf

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:01 PM

Flacon's Night-Mav
Posted Image

Just forget about having pull back top cocking and go with the NF's pull ring. There is no room.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users