Photo

Crossfire Mod

40 replies to this topic

#26 Starlancer

Starlancer

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:15 AM

you'll have to forgive me, i'm rather new at this, but isn't that gun the one they now include in a 'mini tag' box that has one gun and a velcro shield?

Edited by Starlancer, 09 February 2006 - 12:04 AM.

#27 Ronster

Ronster

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:59 PM

Yup.
-I Nerf, there for I am.

QUOTE(baghead @ Oct 25 2006, 09:55 AM) View Post
Ronster reminded me that I should have warned you all Prepare your Bladder for Imminent Release!!!!

#28 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:55 PM

First actual pics I've seen of the Crossfire. Holding space for 5 darts? Shit man. That's nice.

No real reason for this post, I just had to comment on the thing; if you guys are getting 50-60 I may have to pick up one. and finish draining any local stores of NF's. I already have 4, but you can never have too many Nitefinders.

~ompa

#29 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:19 PM

Ya it really is quite a nice fun.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#30 Starlancer

Starlancer

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:04 AM

good thing i work at Toys R Us, get that measly employee discount!

#31 SpectreX

SpectreX

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:43 AM

I didn't really think this info was worthy of it's own thread, especially when the original post has such nice internal pictures of the gun, but I've found that the spring from the TEK 6 gave the Crossfire a nice performance improvement and fit easily.

Edited by SpectreX, 10 February 2006 - 12:44 AM.

#32 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:17 PM

I didn't really think this info was worthy of it's own thread, especially when the original post has such nice internal pictures of the gun, but I've found that the spring from the TEK 6 gave the Crossfire a nice performance improvement and fit easily.

Perhaps a picture of the installation...or at least a shot of the two springs, side by side?

I've learned to snap pics of anything I'm doing when modifying nowadays...in case there may be some need to post them.

I have to admit, when I first bought a Crossfire, I was apprehensive. It sure looked like a Scout. It sure operated like a Scout (slide cocking). But when we shot it, boy what a pleasant surprise!

My kids and I played a bit in the yard just yesterday, and the STOCK Crossfire was almost on par, if not exceeding, my Crayola barreled "rental" NFs (old). We're talking 40-50 feet, pretty much flat shooting. My PETGd NF still shot further, but that was with Stefans. The Dart Tag orange micros were loose in the PETG, and didn't quite have the 'oomph' as they did in the Crossfire.

Looks like I may be on the hunt for more...last trip to Wal*Mart, they (probably two dozen) were all gone. The search continues!

Thanks for the modification tips, I'm probably going to leave this one alone for awhile...like maybe a month. :)

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#33 SpectreX

SpectreX

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:29 AM

Unfortunately I left the gun in my dorm and I'm home for the weekend, so I can't do a pic for a couple days, but the Tek 6 spring is a bit longer than the crossfire spring, and it feels stronger as well. The other think making it hard is I put the crossfire spring into my TTS. That however didn't make a large enough improvement to be worth posting.

Switching springs is very simple, you can see the picture of the open crossfire in the original message, and where the spring is located. All you have to do is take the stock spring out, it's not attached to anything, and put the Tek 6 spring in. The only real note I have to go with this is that you'll want an extra pair of hands around to help you get the gun closed again. The spring wants to pop out constantly. You'll want someone to keep a hand on the spring and the plunger/barrel piece, so it doesn't come loose while you're trying to put the gun back together.

If you fire a stock crossfire you might notice that the dart has a tendancy to shoot "up" a little, even if you're holding the gun level. After installing the Tek 6 spring, the gun shoots level and packs a good deal more of a kick. I wish I had somewhere I could do ranges, but just eyeballing how it leaves the gun as compared to my roommate's stock crossfire, the new spring is a nice improvement in power.

#34 matty

matty

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:11 PM

i just got a crossfire too, but im kindof new here and am a newb to nerf, any modification ideas?

#35 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:57 PM

Try looking on page 1 of this very thread. If you don't understand how he did it, you just open it up, take a dremel, sand out the air restrictor, then sand the inside of the barrel down a bit and jam a piece of 17/32 brass all the way down. I just did that on mine, and I'm getting around 50'. Which I am very happy with, seeing how small the plunger tube is.

~ompa

#36 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:55 PM

"could you do something similar to carrtoons mod on the scout? http://www.nerfhq.co...opic.php?t=2772 or are the internals different? also shivon did a cpvc barrel mod the crossfire. if you ask nicely he might post it, or tell you about.

#37 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:58 PM

The concept is extremely similar; the problem with the crossfire is that the plunger seems to be wider than the one on the scout, so putting an o-ring onto cpvc and having it work correctly is a tad bit more difficult.

~ompa

#38 StpWrestler06

StpWrestler06

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 03:54 PM

just wondering if any other springs would work other then a tech6...like maybe a maverick or nitefiner? i am lovin it stock tho

#39 sourskttles772

sourskttles772

• Banned
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:49 PM

Do you need to drill out the restrictor? Or what do I do If I just want to take out the restrictor.
http://nerfon.smffor...3.com/index.php
One man Clan:
I saw the Crossbow re-release on the shelf at my local Target, but I didn't want to tell anyone because I wanted them all to myself. I hid them all behind Dora the Explorer toys....
[/quote]

#40 zxnam

zxnam

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:11 PM

I just drilled and dremeled till the sucker could come out. You Mainly just need the air flow restricting piece out, but I took out the all the pieces.

#41 theNOTnerfmaster

theNOTnerfmaster

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:34 PM

Im just wondering if i should cut off the back of the barrel and replace it with a piece of tubing that fits better to the plunger or do what spectreX said and pound on the back with a screwdriver and get rid of the barrel post that way.

Also i have this 1/2" metal type gray conduit pipe that fits the plunger smoothly but so far i havent heard of anyone using it.
It's all fun and games until someone gets shot 20 times in the head with a magstrike.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users