Photo

Defective Nite Finder

6 replies to this topic

#1 135th

135th

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:15 PM

I bought a Maverick a couple days ago, went on a nostalgia trip and eventualy found this site. After reading some of your posts I went out tonight and bought a Nite Finder and Secret Target Shot. I was exited to break them out, but once I did I was very disappointed.

The nite finder bearly works. When it shoots, it shoots alright (around the same distance as the maverick), but it misfires at least 50% of the time. The pull goes in very slowly and the dart doesn't even leave the barrel. Is this normal, or should I try to exchange it?

The STS works ok, but leaks air bad. I'm going to open it and try to fix it; does any one have any tips? Thanks.

#2 Joseph889

Joseph889

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:19 PM

Let me guess. Your Night Finder is stock. If it is, this is most likely an air restrictor problem. Just take out the air restrictors and your NF(Night Finder) should be fine. Welcome to NerfHaven.

Late'

Joe

#3 Zach

Zach

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:41 PM

If it is, this is most likely an air restrictor problem.

Yes, the restrictors on most guns nowadays are similar t othe new BBB, they are spring loaded so that the arrow/dart depresses the spring, opening the air valve, and allowing the air to escape. Make sure the dart is all the way in the barrel.

It could also be the type of NF. Is it the EX-3 with the rail on top? If so, this would also be the reason why the handle retracts slowly (this one I can't expalin) and why it sucks.

You seriously need to remove the restrictors either way.

~Zach
NerfX , for all of your Nerfing needs.

Have a fix for some foam? Come on in, the doors are open!

#4 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:46 PM

Nowadays? They've been like that since at least the supermaxx series, and I remember those guns when I was like 8-10 years old.
And as everyone knows, money makes the world go round. It's also the root of all evil, therefore the world going round is evil, and we should stop the rotation of the planet.

#5 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:01 AM

If it is misfiring then I am assuming the dart doesnt even leave the barrel. This might be a possibility of your darts ripping down the middle. Check for large tears in the sides of your darts. Blow into the backend of your dart and if you hear air come out the dart is toast. If the dart was sentimental then grab some E-tape and patch it up lightly. Otherwise go out and buy more or preferably make more darts.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#6 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:23 PM

Are you using stefans? I've experienced misfires with stefans, but that is do to incorrect sizing between the barrel and the dart. If you are having these problems with a stock gun, I would do my best to return the thing. A Nerf gun shouldn't do that with stock darts.

If you can't return it, try to increase the force behind the plunger by adding rubber bands or bungees. In addition, reinforce the plunger so any chances that it would wobble/break are minimized.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#7 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:53 PM

My NF had gun farts like this when I first got it too. It's typical; my friends have had the same problem too. Your best bet is to do what everyone has said thus far. I thought the NF was gonna be crap before I modded it, but with a simple restrictor removal and a few bands, it completely transformed.

The step after that is an easy barrel replacement, as you probably know. After it's beefed up, the NiteFinder shouldn't disappoint you. If it does, let us know.

Welcome to NH.

~Rings
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users