'dragonfly' Maverick, Anodized Green.

The latest Maverick I've modded/painted

10 replies to this topic

#1 Anima

Anima

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 01:44 AM

Well, this isn't a bad piece to be the first I post about on NerfHaven. The other day at Autozone I was buying some vinyl dye when I saw this Duplicolor Metalcast stuff. It simulates an anodized look when used on bare metal. (If you want to paint something other than bare metal, you must buy Duplicolor's 'ground coat' and lay that down before using the Metalcast.) It comes in a few pretty colors, and it looked so nifty, like an iridescent beetle-shell green, I knew I had to try it out on a Nerf gun. I've been working on this one for about a week. I messed up a few times getting used to this new paint, but it still came out looking okay. I need to touch up the grip and shoot it awhile to break it in, but I'm ready to share pics at least! Sadly photos don't do it justice. This Metalcast stuff is just *cool*.

I removed the lower air restrictors/springs but retained the dart posts. I modified it to let the cylinder roll out freely. Ranges are about typical for a Maverick.
Posted Image

I post this dark-ish one below only to show you how the green paint reflects light. It looks like metal flake, but that's an entirely different product.
Posted Image

I'm not really sure whether I ought to sell this one or not. It's not perfect, so I may just try again.
Posted Image

I'm working on a blue Metalcast Maverick as well. I'll use this new Duplicolor chrome paint I picked up, see if it works better than the metallic silver Rustoleum I used on the green one above.

Edited by Anima, 13 January 2006 - 01:50 AM.

On the web, your language skills are your appearance and odor. Don't be a smelly elephant man.

#2 pinhead52

pinhead52

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 01:52 AM

Let me be the first to say "Dang".

If you're going for something that nice, though, I would say get some gap filler or hot-glue and fill in the gaps and screw-holes and do a touch-up job. That's the only criticism I can give. That is beautiful paint.

#3 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 02:10 AM

I love that color! Really cool paint job man. The color is similar to this schaefer beatle pendant I wear. I would be proud to have that in my arsenal.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 13 January 2006 - 02:11 AM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#4 headwound

headwound

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 02:45 AM

you can also buy a color change paint kit that comes with three layers, a primer, a base coat, and the chromatic layer, for about $20. I've been thinking about trying it out, it could look really cool.

#5 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 08:34 AM

Now if we could only get the fuckers to shoot well.

Shame, it's a kickass looking gun.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#6 Natch

Natch

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:25 AM

...I'm going to have some fun wheh I get my hands on some of that paint.

#7 Switchblade

Switchblade

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:49 AM

Nicely done, sir. I may just grab one very soon....I need to buy another NiteFinder though, and I think we know which one is the better value. But wow, that's awesome stuff. Thanks for the tips on paint.

#8 Peter

Peter

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 12:22 PM

If I didn't know better, I would thjink that there is a new version of the mav out :o
igitur qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum

#9 Anima

Anima

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 05:13 PM

I've considered using some putty to fill in the dividing line, but I decided against it, because it would 'break' the product. If you ever wanted to mod it, or just open it up to adjust something that slipped out of alignment, you'd ruin it. Filling in the screwholes would make it even worse...

Yeah, the color-change paint system is called Mirage. I looked at it, but I came to the conclusion that it probably looks best in sunlight. It would be difficult to sell too, since you'd only realize the full scope of the paint in person. (Also I happen to think that the colors it changes into suck. :KD If it was more blue-green-purple than red-magenta-purple, I'd jump on it.)

Anyone planning on using this paint, here are some tips.

Use the ground coat. It will look totally different, (like ass!) if you just buy the Metalcast color and spray it on plastic. If you put down a chrome paintjob first, that might work instead of the ground coat.

Be patient! Use thin coats. Don't even attempt to cover the entire Maverick with each coat. The more you spray, the darker the color will get. I made mine darker than I would've liked, because I sprayed too much.

The Maverick is annoying to paint because it has so many nooks and crannies, (like where the cylinder rests. Painting the inner surfaces of the 'box' of the frame is a total pain). Be careful when you're painting to spray evenly across the gun, or you'll get color variations which may not look so nice.

Use a clear coat when the Metalcast has dried. You might even give it two coats of clear. I've already gashed a nice chip out of the paint somehow, despite having used a clear coat.

I tried the Duplicolor chrome last night, and it is *nice*. It's reflective! Not like the silver I've been using for guns thus far.
On the web, your language skills are your appearance and odor. Don't be a smelly elephant man.

#10 Enigma1313

Enigma1313

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:12 PM

I must say,that dragonfly maverick looks pretty freaking spiffy. Love how it's so smooth, and clean. Great Job.
"Excellence over Compassion. Hatred over Foregiveness. Dedication before Forfeit. So is the way of the Enigma."
-Excerpt from the Preamble of the Enigma Code.

#11 pinhead52

pinhead52

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 12:05 AM

I agree with what you were saying, and I thought about that a lot. In the end, I'm all about cosmetics, at least when it comes to Mavs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users