Itunes

Its problems?

9 replies to this topic

#1 LDM

LDM

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:41 PM

First off let me say that I'm not a fan of Apple in general, or iPods. I have a Rio Carbon mp3 player, and I like it a lot.

However, unlike many others, I like iTunes. It organizes my music in a simple yet effective way. I [obviously] don't buy from the music store, so mp4s aren't a problem for me. The only other thing I do on it other than listen to music is burn/rip CDs, which it does fine.

So, my question is, why do people tend to dislike it? I'm not trying to start an argument; I'm honestly curious. I don't like .wma's, so I don't use Windows Media Player. I've tried using Winamp, but I found it rather... weird. I suppose that's because I'm not the most computer-friendly of all people, but I'm not completely clueless. iTunes seems to work with me just fine.

Thoughts?

#2 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:09 PM

iTunes problems stem from being "different".

iTunes uses it's library system, so that once you play an .mp3 or etc in iTunes, it is automatically added to the library unless you "clear" it from the list. This means every 5 second .wav from a game you were scanning through, that will be added to the list, and unless unchecked, will be added to your iPod every time you update.

Another problem is the mp3 player compatabilty.
Windows Media Player is capable of supporting several hundred brands and players, while in iTunes you have to manually open the mp3 folder, and drag the playlist/items in the library, to the folder, to copy them.
iTunes is for the iPod. It can be used otherwise, but it's arduous.

Don't get me wrong.
I wub iTunes.
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#3 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:28 PM

That is exactly why I am against iPod. Too many problems. While they are all sleek, smoothe operating and may sound good (I have no clue how good they sound like), they are just hard to get something to go the way you want it. you may get a song or CD on the plaer, but next time it would be something else. It is just like its' makers computer versoin; it's not user friendly. And a perfect example of this, is that a friend of mine has an iPod that noww will not hold charge.

I have a creative labs zen micro 5 GB. It works great. It comes with its own driver to and own CD ripper. I couldn't say it was hard to use at all. I have also played around with some of the Rio brand players, and are also very user friendly. Apple just never was on my good list since...forever. I do give them credit for the video iPod. But who says that other brands won't come out with it?
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#4 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:40 PM

Why do you think they don't sell ipod mini's anymore? Beacuse of the charge problem. That doesn't mean apple is bad though.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#5 Grinch

Grinch

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:57 AM

I really dislike iPods. I few months ago, I had bought a 30GB iPod, one of the new video models. Cosmetically speaking, it was very attractive. It was sleek, had the famous "chrome and white" color scheme, and the color LCD was mind-blowing. I had about 3000 songs on it, with about 5GB filled up. As a result, I personally think 30GB is a ridiculous amount of space for music.

However, my main issue was the whole battery issue. I would charge it, and the icon would immediately tick down into the red. The thing never had a full charge. Too bad, it was a great MP3 player, but I just couldn't take the short battery life.
Webmaster of Nerf World

Previously mrgrinch_nm!

#6 duce

duce

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:50 PM

As long as I don't turn on the back light, during the day, or the clicker, my battery lasts from about 7:00 am to 11:00 pm. Granted, I'm not listening all day but it does get around 15 hours.
"Thats so good it makes me want to kick my mom in the face." -Halfling

#7 Richomundo

Richomundo

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 03:46 AM

(getting back on topic)

Boing Boing wrote:
Merlin reports that iTunes appears to be phoning 2o7.net when the Ministore is loaded. That domain is registered to Omniture, Inc. of Orem, Utah. From Omniture's site:

2o7.net is an Internet domain used by Omniture, Inc. on behalf of our customers to improve Web site design and to generally improve the user experience on the Web. This domain is used by Omniture’s data collection systems, and is the domain under which Omniture places cookies. These cookies are NOT spyware – they are simple text files that help Omniture customers measure usage of their Web sites and performance of their marketing campaigns.

Hmmm... collecting information about my listening habits without permission... They can call it what they want but that sure sounds like spyware to me.

I respect iPod for a few reasons, although I loathe their resource hungry apps with shiny GUIs. (I'm a loyal winamp and ml_iPod plugin user)
iPod has had an amazing marketing campaign. Even though the Dell DJ is cheaper, has better battery life, has more functionality and is not DRM (digital rights managed) iPod has managed to still beat a better and cheaper product.

Usually its the less techno advanced, cheaper products that win the market over ie Gameboy vs that sega handheld thing. Or the Nintendo 8 bit system vs the Turbografx16 which was 16 bit at the time, albeit extremely expensive.

iPod and iTunes have won because they are userfriendly, and apple has some killer marketing directors. iPod probably makes apple more money than their consumer level computer sales (apple has a lot more business in the business solutions and workstation side than Home Computer sales)

Simplicity Is Key.

#8 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 10:36 PM

I really dislike iPods. I few months ago, I had bought a 30GB iPod, one of the new video models. Cosmetically speaking, it was very attractive. It was sleek, had the famous "chrome and white" color scheme, and the color LCD was mind-blowing. I had about 3000 songs on it, with about 5GB filled up. As a result, I personally think 30GB is a ridiculous amount of space for music.

However, my main issue was the whole battery issue. I would charge it, and the icon would immediately tick down into the red. The thing never had a full charge. Too bad, it was a great MP3 player, but I just couldn't take the short battery life.

You can tell them it's not getting the advertised charge, and they'll give you a new one. It's that simple. I did it.
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#9 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:43 PM

Ya my mini won't hold a charge. So I have to send it into apple. And I agree with the simplicity statement. My friends have creative products and either it's just beacuse I'm so use to the ipod, but those things are hard to figure out. I find the creative products cumbersome to use.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#10 nerfnikkogunner

nerfnikkogunner

• Banned
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 12:14 AM

You put Itunes against napster in song collections, then Napster will win 10 against 2!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users