Problems With Nitefinder

My darts are splitting

12 replies to this topic

#1 NerfN00b

NerfN00b

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:37 AM

Ok, I just today took the limmiter out of my nitefinder as well as cut out that pointless orange rod thing that normally goes inside the barrel. I streched the spring enough so that it was somewhat difficult to put the gun back together.

this obviously was in an effort to improve my guns range.

after a couple of test fires, the dart (a good dart that was brand new, one that you can get with the extra ammo refill packs or whatever) split along the side. after a while another one did the same thing.

my question is, is the nitefinder now to powerfull to fire normal darts because it causes ripps or is this normall for this to happen because before I modded the gun the darts worked just fine and diddnt break/rip/split at all.

or are nerf darts just crap and would have broke by themselvs.

sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot, i dont know much about forums or whatever.

Edited by NerfN00b, 08 January 2006 - 12:58 AM.

#2 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:16 AM

You are merely pushing the dart to hard into the barrel making sure it is snug. Am I right? I had the same problem with the sspb. Nerf darts are cheap peices of garbage and tend to do this when the dart looks like it needs to be pushed in farther. I doubt any spring gun can create a tear in dart.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#3 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:36 AM

I doubt any spring gun can create a tear in dart.

What are you talking about? Any gun that shoots more than about forty feet will rip a hole in a stock dart.

As for the problem, add a new barrel and switch to Stefans, as simple as that.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 08 January 2006 - 01:36 AM.

SexD Warves

#4 Jakethesnake

Jakethesnake

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:43 AM

If you don't like stefans, wrap a layer of clear packing tape around the dart, it adds a little bit of weight making it fly straighter and also makes it much more durable.

#5 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:46 AM

I suspect it's the ridges down the side of the barrel, a nightfinder doesn't build enough pressure to tear a dart and squishing darts down has never caused rips in my darts. I've noticed some newer NFs don't have the ridges but I've only seen that in an old edition. A barrel replacement or sanding down the ridges is in order. Switching to stefans would also help as they are made of a tougher foam.
And as everyone knows, money makes the world go round. It's also the root of all evil, therefore the world going round is evil, and we should stop the rotation of the planet.

#6 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:13 PM

Nerfmonkey's right. I've had dart tears with NFs, LnLs, SS1s, and a BBB. It is very possible.

I would definitely recommend a barrel replacement, of any material. Although the stock barrel creates a pretty tight seal on the dart, this will make a better seal and somewhat lessen your chances of tearing your stock darts. Go with stefans too. A good stefan will be a reliable shot every time, and they don't tear easily. I've only had a few tears on me with an SS1, but that was on rare occasion.
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#7 DTReaper

DTReaper

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:55 PM

The darts tearing happens in my AT2K because of the pressuse relase. The way to fix this is to put a straw on the inside and hotglue it in. This will stop the ripping.

-DTR
QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 5 2008, 12:09 AM) View Post

That's it. I'm done. I'm sorry there are breasts on the Internet.

#8 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:25 PM

What are you talking about? Any gun that shoots more than about forty feet will rip a hole in a stock dart.

Sorry guys I was really drunk when I posted that. Yes I have had my nightfinder tear at least 6 darts.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#9 SG Pilot

SG Pilot

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:43 PM

Kind of off-topic, but in every gun that I drilled the air restrictors out of, I have little to no improvement in the gun's range. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? F.Y.I. I use stock darts because hot glue tips dent walls (bad for me) and I don't want to get hurt by them.
QUOTE(VACC @ Oct 9 2009, 04:45 AM) View Post

I know, I HATE toy guns that are made for little kids!

#10 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 03:23 PM

If a stefan is made properly it shouldn't dent walls. If you smooth out the hotglue so it is flat it should be fine. Or maybe my walls just don't dent.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#11 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 03:57 PM

Either your guns aren't very powerful or your Stefans suck. Dry wall will dent with a Stefan hitting it from something as small as an NF.
SexD Warves

#12 SG Pilot

SG Pilot

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:54 PM

Kind of off-topic, but in every gun that I drilled the air restrictors out of, I have little to no improvement in the gun's range. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? F.Y.I. I use stock darts because hot glue tips dent walls (bad for me) and I don't want to get hurt by them.

Example, I had a Scout that got ranges around 20'. When I opened it up and drilled the air restrictor out and closed it back up, I still got 20' in range. Is there a problem or does it only do well with stefans? I used stock darts. Does range with stock darts improve at all when you drill out air restrictors?
QUOTE(VACC @ Oct 9 2009, 04:45 AM) View Post

I know, I HATE toy guns that are made for little kids!

#13 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:22 PM

Air restrictor removal alone won't really enhance the gun greatly. Barrel replacement is pretty much a necessity. I remember how bad my pistols sucked when I just cut out the restrictors, but when I put new barrels on them, I was quite pleased in their performance.

As for stefans denting walls, it happens. My buddy's house is chalk full of dents from all our indoor wars. That's why we were banned to the basement.
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users