Discs

will it work?

15 replies to this topic

#1 SKIZ

SKIZ

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:37 PM

Firstly i was woundering if nerf discs are allowed in wars and do people use them?
Secondlly dose anyone have any ideas on how to make one that works really well? I just want ideas so i can put them together with what i think and make one. I was thinking along the lines of turning it into a machine gun as such.

For those who cant understand what im going on about i am talking about guns that use two little plates that spin around and there is a gap between the two that when a foam disc is pushed between the plates the plates push the disc out.
If i could get a really powerful motor i think it would be great because it would make a good rapid fire gun.

Also does anyone know if i could use darts instead of discs?

#2 sistermol

sistermol

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:43 PM

I guess it would work and if you go to sports athaurotie :D you can get a pitching machine that has the engine your looking for

Edited by sistermol, 06 January 2006 - 10:44 PM.

Without darkness how would we recognize the light?

#3 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,190 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/MeakerVI on Reddit

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:47 AM

No.
Although they might be allowed in a war... if you have a death wish.

#4 SG Pilot

SG Pilot

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:52 PM

turning it into a machine gun as such.

^_^

Get a Cyclotron, attach an electric motor to it, and extend the tube that holds the balls in it so you can store more of them. Add a bipod to it and you get a heavy machine guns :w00t:

Just a thought :unsure:
QUOTE(VACC @ Oct 9 2009, 04:45 AM) View Post

I know, I HATE toy guns that are made for little kids!

#5 tucker

tucker

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:41 PM

Sorry,bad post.

Edited by tucker, 11 January 2006 - 08:43 PM.

"We don't necessarily discriminate, we just exclude certain types of people"

#6 Sanityjr

Sanityjr

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:58 PM

Well I know this would be impractical and quite expensive if you buy one, but ever think about the clay piggion throwing things that they use in shotgun shooting to throw the disks, and they are so accurate that they can hit a branch 75 feet away easily if you aim it right.

Edited by Sanityjr, 11 January 2006 - 08:58 PM.

#7 Peter

Peter

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 01:08 PM

"you just got SKEETED"
igitur qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum

#8 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 01:55 PM

The clay skeet shot discs are also alot heavier than foam. If you were to even put a large foam disc in it I imagine the power of the skeet would send it out of control.

The cycoltron seems like a cool idea but they would only be good on defending bases flags etc. In an assassin type game you could have a guy in the back seat of a car and give one mean drive by. Then again we dont have homemade nerfballs yet do we? At about 2 dollars a nerf ball it better damn be worth the hit.

This pitching machine seems like a cool idea but will the two parts clamp small enough to shoot a disc out? How expensive are those things anyway?

Since we are on disc concepts this thread gave me an idea. The first thing I thought of was this one kid at my old high school that would modify Bicycles. He would take a trimmer and modify that then mount it onto the bike. He got a decent speed out of it.

Here is the concept: Two modified trimmers spinning inwards. The height of the opening just big enough for a disk. a gravity fed loading system. The loading system would drop the disk in place and the trigger would push the disk in towards the inwards spinning trimmer heads. You could use a gas or electric trimmer. You should also be able to adjust the setting of speed at which they are spinning but this is not for certain. One trimmer head would need to be right side up and the other trimmer head would need to be upside down unless there is a way to reverse the spin on one trimmer head.This is just an idea. An expensive idea that requires alot of time and two identical trimmers. A custom made shell would be needed for such a beast. An interchangable ammo tube would work great. A foot of tube can hold what like 60 discs? When I get the cash to do this I might try it. What do you guys think?

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 12 January 2006 - 01:57 PM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But Iím just not the angel you knew.

#9 hoshiadam

hoshiadam

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 02:26 PM

Trying different size wheels might be good also - the amount of momentum they will create in the discs is dependent on the RPM of the motor and the size of the wheel (or basically the speed the outer edge of the wheel is moving at).

As far as discs - are these the little ~2" discs that fire from the small battery powered guns? I would think those might be too light for something like this. A possible solution would be to take the swimming pool toys (Fun Noodles I think), cut them down to a smaller thickness with a band saw, and cover them with tape. That allows you to have custom sizes. If they are thick enough, probably about 0.5" or thicker, you can weight them by poking holes in a circle around the edges (weight near the outside will keep it more stable in flight if it is spinning) and filling it with some hot glue and bb's or fishing weights.

Might be able to get them to have some spin by having the wheels not quite in the center - if they are both slightly off center to the same side, it should create a little spin.

Adam

#10 SKIZ

SKIZ

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 03:11 AM

Thanks guys all good ideas and lots of help.
I have a smallish hobby sized motor that isnt geared and gets considrable power. I could easily hook it up to a speed controllor to adjust power and ammo isnt really a problem as thier are unlimated choices. I was thinking of using gears so that i get this one motor to power both discs. I could try cutting out discs using thick foam (pool noodles was a good idea) and inserting a fishing sinker in them to add wieght.

Simple design of what i was thinking:
Posted Image

#11 m15399

m15399

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 01:47 PM

No. Bad. The "discs that spin to propell ammo" would be spinning in the same direction (you want one going clockwise, one counter to propell the disc) and the disc would either be ripped to shreds or would pop out in a totally insane direction. Maybe if the disc had sufficient lift, it would hover for a few moments, but theres no way that's going to shoot a disc without another motor, or another gear.

#12 SKIZ

SKIZ

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:08 PM

Yer sorry about that i was rushed for time and didnt really finish the picture.
I figured it out last night that i would need two more gears.
LIKE SO:

Posted Image

My other quiry is, is it possible to use darts in this?
I was also thinking i might make rubber discs.(soft rubber) As they will be heavier but pack a heavier punch.

Also this wouldnt be suitable for nerf but would a smaller piece of lead or something similiar work better. ie is the smaller the projectile the further it will go?

#13 m15399

m15399

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:47 PM

That's already been done. If you want my opinion, you're better off with a spring or air gun.

#14 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,190 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/MeakerVI on Reddit

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:21 AM

Also this wouldnt be suitable for nerf but would a smaller piece of lead or something similiar work better. ie is the smaller the projectile the further it will go?

Only if you use a denser projectile (i.e.: a lead disk with the same weight as the rubber disk will be much smaller and therefore get less drag). Although in the case of a disk, you might want the lift gained from the size or something. Most of the time projectiles are better smaller.

#15 anders

anders

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 01:47 PM

I have got a disc rifle that i have modified quite a lot .
it's fully automatic and has a 100 rounds magazine . I changde the motor for a bigger one from a rc-car.
it has a build in transformator so you can plug it in to the wall and use it as a stationary machine gun.
It can only shot about 7meters and has horrible accuracy but it shots pretty fast and it hurts a little to get hit by it.

here is the link to my crappy blog there is some pictures there
My Webpage

Edited by anders, 13 August 2006 - 01:57 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Aug 16 2007, 03:52 AM) View Post

Does posting in agreement somehow validate your standing in the community? Personally I think it just makes you look like a tool.

the el snapo again

#16 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 03:22 PM

http://www.crackerthrower.com/

I dunno, it might be worth considering, and it tends to show up on ebay every now and then if you don't want to spend $25 on it. Anyone who might actually want to try shooting cracker-skeet should see if disks work in it too.
Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users