Photo

Barrel Mods

16 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfy

Wolfy

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 11:45 AM

This is probably a really dumb question with an obvious answer, but I want to know so I'm going to ask. Why do barrel mods increase range so much? Are the plastic barrels really bad? I don't understand how it increases range THAT much. I'm confused.

#2 SniperWolf

SniperWolf

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 01:07 PM

i know! that bugs me too. i've found that PVC actually works better than brass in my max shot. I think that brass makes less friction on the dart, so it goes further. but, i don't think it makes all that much of a difference. i prefer PVC to brass becuse it is easier to work with, it is much cheaper, and it is much lighter than brass.
My children...They beat me...

...with sticks and buckets.

My wife...she is hairy...

...like sasquatch.

#3 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 01:49 PM

i know! that bugs me too. i've found that PVC actually works better than brass in my max shot. I think that brass makes less friction on the dart, so it goes further. but, i don't think it makes all that much of a difference. i prefer PVC to brass becuse it is easier to work with, it is much cheaper, and it is much lighter than brass.

Your PVC probably works better because you didn't do a telescoping barrel. When you increase the power by plugging the release valve, you also need a longer barrel to successfully improve accuracy and range. Check out C's article. (on this site)
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#4 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 03:19 PM

Your PVC probably works better because you didn't do a telescoping barrel.

Yeah, doing brass without telescoping properly will kill a spring gun's performance.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#5 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 04:29 PM

In GENERAL, replacing the stock barrel of a nerf gun will improve range and accuracy because:

1. Longer barrel allows more time for air blast to push dart, increasing velocity.

2. Longer barrel improves accuracy by reducing lateral movements of the projectile (dart), just like in a regular gun.

3. Brass has a lower coefficient of friction, so the dart incurs less drag moving down the barrel. PVC seems to work well in spring guns because the higher friction (and thus greater drag) helps build up pressure behind the dart. To get this same effect with brass barrels we put a smaller constricting section at the base for the dart to "stick" in while pressure builds up.

4. Unlike stock nerf gun barrels, which are tight at the base and loose the rest of the way, brass or PVC barrels have a much better seal with the dart which allows more air pressure to build up behind the dart, increasing the dart's velocity.
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#6 SniperWolf

SniperWolf

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 07:10 PM

what's a telescoping barrel? the mod i did one my max shot was easy and effective. i just sawed down the white barrel to about an inch long. then i put electrical tape around the white barrel the fitted a 1/2 inch coupling on. now i can put any kind of 1/2 inch PVC or i can wrap tape around some 1/2" brass and jam it in there. i found that PVC works better for some reason.
My children...They beat me...

...with sticks and buckets.

My wife...she is hairy...

...like sasquatch.

#7 fastabs25

fastabs25

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 08:15 PM

just take whatever lenght of the barrel of 9/16" brass, and stick a 2-3 inch piece of 17/32" brass in the back. The tighter brass at the back of the barrel keeps the dart in, while pressure builds up behind it. when enough pressure builds up...Bam!

#8 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 08:20 PM

Read C's article: http://nerfhaven.com..._01.html#000006
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#9 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 04:59 PM

moooooooooooooooo
ko

#10 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 07:00 PM

Hey, are you retarded?

Stop that.

#11 Nerf929

Nerf929

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 10:34 PM

how do you telescope a brass barrel?
The Boy Who Ate Fire
by: Adam (Me)

Once there was a boy who ate fire. He died.
The End

#12 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 03:20 PM

Telescoping brass refers to taking a long piece of a certain diameter, and then placing shorter pieces of the next narrower size inside of it. So at the base of the barrel it is tightest on the dart so the pressure builds up. Then the tight section ends and the barrel fits perfectly for a while, then at the very end a looser section gives the dart some more stability before it exits the barrel.
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#13 Nerf929

Nerf929

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 09:25 PM

[quote name='cxwq' date='Jun 23 2003, 04:19 PM'][/QUOTE]
Yeah, doing brass without telescoping properly will kill a spring gun's performance.[/quote]
if telescoping a brass barrel works better for a max shot (or any other gun), why didn't cxwq do it on the max shot mod?
The Boy Who Ate Fire
by: Adam (Me)

Once there was a boy who ate fire. He died.
The End

#14 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 09:29 PM

if telescoping a brass barrel works better for a max shot (or any other gun), why didn't cxwq do it on the max shot mod?

I did.

#15 TheHaze

TheHaze

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 09:54 PM

Yay, for you. Way to look like an idiot.
When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy

#16 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 10:17 PM

Oh hush.

#17 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 01:41 PM

wtf haze
Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users