Has anyone done it yet?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Hudson Hawk

Hudson Hawk

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 02:37 PM

I have two confessions.

I've been out of the loop for a while. I used to be fairly involved with NO and whatnot, and was pretty cutting edge in the homemade sector. Now I'm not really sure whats going on here.

Secondly, I'm lazy. I'm not going to read back posts. I done have the time or the energy.

I also know that when you guys come up with something good you [B]love[B] to tell people about it. So in the area of homemades, cause to be honest its the only part that appeals to me anymore, who has done it? Who has the gun I was on the way to creating when I stopped doing all this? Who has the semi auto homemade that fires 80+ feet accurately and doesn't take days between shots. I two years I hope you guys have done it, nothing would please me more. But in my perusal of the board I haven't seen mention of it and I would have figured its all over the boards like the "poopsmith to an overflowing toilet, but I digress." So who is gets the honorable mention, even if all you degenerates can't make dean's list?

Well that's that.

And anything offensive is sarcasitic or facetious.

#2 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 02:58 PM

This post details Boltsniper's work on a bolt action semi auto that was quite impressive. Since then he's worked on non-bolt semi auto and combustion models. Check out the pics at his site (linked in the above thread) to see what he's working on.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#3 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 02:04 AM

Hehe.. Funny you mention it... There have been at least four individuals that were going to complete a fully semi-automatic homemade, but they all got lazy. This was around late fall. Bolt loser definitely has the motivation and the skills (His pump-action gun was a lot more complex than need be, but it worked perfectly, so it doesn't matter, it just shows discipline), but he hasn't had time to complete the semi-auto design he had... Or so I believe. I may have missed something. It's kind of sad, Hudson; Around the time you left, most of the kids working on homemade technology also left, leaving a dead zone in the forums that eventally festered, leaving people excited when they found how to make a basic ball valve homemade.

You left off with a regulator-powered semi-automatic (air release only) gun, right? If you'd like, I can share design plans I have (Only built a prototype, I've been incredibly lazy... Beh, for the summer). Perhaps you won't be so lazy.
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#4 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 12:40 PM

Yeah I can`t say I`ve been too motivated to work on my gun much lately. During the semester I didn`t have too much work to do so I had some good free time to work. Now that I`ve graduated I`ve turned all focus torwards getting a job. That is proving not so easy. I also have to move out of my apartment soon and that will be a very very big pain in the ass.

As for my gun....right now it is a little over half completed. The receiver is rough cut to shape. The barrel is complete and the bolt is almost complete. The bolt for this gun is very unique. It took me a good while to work out the locations for the ramps and cutouts in it. The ejector is completed as well. I`ve proven this idea on another demonstrator I made a wile ago. It works suprisingly well. I`ve also completed the magazine for this gun which was on the top od my "not-sure-how-i`m-gonna-do-this" list. That list is mostly gone now. All that is left is to assemble the whole thing and work out the CO2 integration. Perhaps the biggest reason I`ve slacked off is the thought of having to gut and grind down another talon valve system. I don`t have another busted talon to use and it took hours upon hours of dremel work to get it done. I am very pleased with the performance of that valve and trigger setup on the bolt-action. To get similar results i`d like to use the same hardware.

I can assure you though....I will get it finished. There is not much left now. Jsut a few solid days of work and assembly. I will be sure to let you guys know when I do finish it......

Oh...and if anyones knows anybody who needs a qualified aerospace engineer who works very well with his hands and has a great grasp of the way things should and do work....please put my name in. I would very much appreciate it.

#5 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 09:46 PM

Oh...and if anyones knows anybody who needs a qualified aerospace engineer who works very well with his hands and has a great grasp of the way things should and do work....please put my name in. I would very much appreciate it.

You're a qualified aerospace engineer?

#6 Sacapuntas Cabesa

Sacapuntas Cabesa

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 12:40 AM

Hudson Hawk! I remember you.

You should take a look at that PETG or whatever it's called that Cxwq found. Interesting stuff, it looks like.

I can't think of anything else, really. Just look around, I guess.

Glad to have ya back.
If the world is so unfair, why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?

Dinobot smash!!!

#7 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 10:48 PM

Yep, as qualified as I can be without much work experience. I`m planning on attending that career fair in June. I appreciate you taking time to look it up Julie. Man, I hope none of you have to look for a job anytime soon....cause it sucks out there.

#8 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 11:46 PM

Never tried this myself but it's got to be worth a shot...

Dress in appropriately geeky clothes, borrow/steal a super cool laptop, find the closest Starbucks to Giant Aero Employer of choice and sit near the pickup counter playing with a 3-D rendering of your bolt design or something.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#9 Blue Dog

Blue Dog

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 06:11 PM

Hey, this is my first post here but I used to be on Nerf Online for awhile. I stopped doing nerf stuff but I few months ago I started working on some homemade guns. They are a ton of fun and seem like they cost cheap.

Boltsniper- I can't stop drooling over that gun, it's so beautiful! I saw the bolt and it looks really complicated. I thought about copying it but I think I'll try to designo my own. I have a question, when you pull the bolt back, after you fire the bolt just falls out right?

#10 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 08:21 PM

I`m kinda nclear about what you are asking. The only thing that falls out of the gun after the shot is the spent shell. The bolt is captive within the receiver and never leaves the gun unless you are performing a breakdown. Look around NerfHQ and look on my website for more info on the gun and how it works. Hopefully that will help. If you still have questions ask me.

CXWQ -- Thats not too bad of an idea. I`ve actually heard of people doing that and having it work for them. As for the CAD stuff, I've played that card already. I`m proficient in Unigraphics, Inventor, MDT, and AutoCAD. For my coursework I`ve modelled entire aircraft which I have awed many people with already. Hopefully it WILL be my ticket to a job..

#11 Blue Dog

Blue Dog

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 05:24 AM

Sorry... I must have been stupid when I asked that. What I meant was that after you fire does the shell just fall out? If this is what happens, did you have any trouble making sure the clip made an airtight seal while it being able to fall out after being spent?

#12 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 01:47 PM

The seal is made with the shell and the barrel as the bolt is pushed forward and locked. It is sandwiched between the back of the bolt and the end of the barrel. Each end is sealed with an O-ring. After firing the bolt is pulled back and the shellcomes with it by means of a simple ridge in the bolt that catches the ridge on the shell. The shells is pulled back to the ejection port where it falls out. At the same time a new shells falls in the breach just ahead of the ejection port ready for cycling. There is no need for a air tight seal on the clip or anywhere else. I hope that sorta answers your question better

#13 Blue Dog

Blue Dog

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 05:02 PM

Ok, well. I kind of get it. Either way, I'm trying to make my own design but I'm having a little difficulty. What sizes of pvc did you use to encase the barrel? (In other words the piece of PVC you cut with the dremmel to attach the nob to pull the bolt)? Did you use CPVC at all?

Also, what did you use to make the shells out of? Do you think it would be possible to use croyola barrels?

#14 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 09:25 AM

The receiver is 1/1/4" PVC, the bolt is 1" 200psi PVC and the barrel is 1/2" 600psi PVC. Bored out 1/2" couplers are used to sapce the barrel in the 1" piping. The ENTIRE gun is made of PVC, with the exception of the balsa magazine. There is no CPVC used. The bolt is cut from 1" pipe with the removed portion bonded to the inside of the bolt. This makes it double thick and creates a ridge for the shell ejection. The shells are cut from barrel stock pipe....1/2" 600psi. They are aboue 3" long..slightly longer than a dart. A 3/4" piece of 1/2" coupler is bonded on the rear adn the front is tapered to prevent jamming during cycling.

Crayola barrels might work. They would certainly be smaller. I can foresee problems with getting them to line up with the barrel. Also with getting them to cycle through the action. You could probably use a 3/4" bolt if you were to use crayolas.

Good luck with your gun and let us know how it turns out...

#15 taber man

taber man

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 08:53 PM

um... for some reason my two damn computers can't seem to get the images to upload on them. but, i have a question for you, BoltSniper, would it be possible for you or any one else to make a bolt or automatic chain gun ( like a chain fed gun, like an M-60) like your most recent guns? you know, using foam darts?
so this is a signature... wow, they're a lot smaller in person... o.O;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users