Photo

What Paint Should I Use

15 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick Master

Maverick Master

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:31 PM

i'm just wondering what paint you guys use to paint your nerf guns. Model paint or what?
Cpt. Brian Scott of UGNS

Under
Ground
Nerf
Squad

Alias Scoped loser (+)
(.)(.) :)

LordofTheRings434
"In a sense, what I'm saying is that you shouldn't waste your time handling your balls. Go for the foamy rods instead."

#2 Deaths Avatar

Deaths Avatar

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:53 PM

Krylon Fusion. Found in the spray paint section of your local Ace Hardware.

-DA

#3 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:01 PM

Other Good paints to use are Testors Spray enamel model paints, and Racing Finish brand spray paint for RC Cars, Both can be found @ hobby shops.

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#4 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:07 PM

I painted a model car with auto paint. The stuff is invulnerable and awesome looking. It might dissolve the plastic though, I haven't tried it on nerf guns. It should be fine, but test it first.

#5 Anima

Anima

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:28 AM

I suggest Duplicolor's Vinyl dye line. You can get it in black, silver, red, yellow, blue and gray. With most plastics, (so long as they haven't been painted previously,) the dye will soak right into the plastic and give you a color that won't chip, scratch, or peel. This may be the same thing Krylon Fusion does, I'm not sure. I've never used it.

If you want to use conventional spraypaint, put down a coat of 'plastic primer' first. It'll greatly improve the adhesion of whatever paint you follow it with. (Do *not* use any kind of primer if you want to vinyl dye the gun.)

For touchup, I recommend Testors paint pens. Great for getting into little nooks and crannies, covering up mistakes, repairing minor damage, etc.

As for auto paints, be careful. Check the toluene percentage. If it's more than 10 percent by weight it could be trouble. But as long as you use a plastic primer first, you shouldn't have a problem. I recently tried a Duplicolor 'Metalcast' paint on a Maverick. I sprayed it with a coat of plastic primer, than a coat of Metalcast 'ground coat', then finished with two coats of the green Metalcast. The result is pretty nifty, though it isn't perfect.

Posted Image

Edited by Anima, 08 January 2006 - 05:32 AM.

On the web, your language skills are your appearance and odor. Don't be a smelly elephant man.

#6 DJ Hurley

DJ Hurley

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:00 PM

Krylon drips and is a bit thick.
Rustoleum is really good.
Painter's Touch is even better.
Master Designs is also good.
You can also buy Krylon shortcuts, which are these tiny spray paint cans that are enamels and are good for paiting models and whatnot. Those would work good too.
NERF CITY
You're a dipshit, stop posting.
I'll let you know when you can start again.
Yes, I'm serious. ~Cxwq

#7 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:12 PM

I just picked up a can of extremely shiny silvery Rustoleum at Lowe's for $4 today, I'd definitely recommend it.

Kryon's not that bad in terms of being too thick, you just have to make sure you paint real lightly with it, which is fine because even the thinnest coat will never rub off with the sweatiest of hands. ;)
SexD Warves

#8 DTReaper

DTReaper

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:52 PM

How much does the vinyl dye cost?

-DTR
QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 5 2008, 12:09 AM) View Post

That's it. I'm done. I'm sorry there are breasts on the Internet.

#9 SupG

SupG

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:24 PM

Modle paint I use.
I heard this kid say nerfing is gay well i say fuck him.

#10 Anima

Anima

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:39 PM

Duplicolor's vinyl dye runs about 5.99 per can. In my experience you can paint about four Mavericks with one can. Probably more if you're economical about your spraying.
On the web, your language skills are your appearance and odor. Don't be a smelly elephant man.

#11 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:45 PM

how about tramclad black spray paint?

#12 coreythegoddamnednoob

coreythegoddamnednoob

• Banned
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 02:21 PM

What the fucking hell do you people do all day? It sounds like you buy little kids toys and modify them to hurt eachother. Etheir your hicks or you have way, way too much free time on your hands.

Also what the hell good would a silencer on a NERF GUN do?
Thats right Absafuckinglutely nothing!

you guys really need to get a life fast... while their still on sale If your fast enough you may just outrun the trekkies.

#13 Paloose

Paloose

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 02:50 PM

Corey, silencers can do some good on some NERF guns, not all of us are hicks, I have no free time on my hands due to school and gymnastics (no I'm not queer), and some people actually have fun tinkering and playing with NERF guns. The question is what do you do all day?

#14 LiterSize

LiterSize

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 03:33 PM

Don't feed the troll. Please. Let it go.

#15 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 03:49 PM

What the fucking hell do you people do all day? It sounds like you buy little kids toys and modify them to hurt eachother. Etheir your hicks or you have way, way too much free time on your hands.

Also what the hell good would a silencer on a NERF GUN do?
Thats right Absafuckinglutely nothing!

you guys really need to get a life fast... while their still on sale If your fast enough you may just outrun the trekkies.

coreythegoddamnednoob,

Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended. This is largely due to the fact that you are a troll. Find something better to do with your time.

Your account will not be functional until May 29 2033, 03:48 PM (depending on your timezone). This is an automated process and you do not need to do anything to expediate the unsuspension process.

Board Address: http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#16 pinhead52

pinhead52

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 01:58 AM

...back on topic...

I started with my Citadel miniatures paints. But since I pretty much exclusively use metalics, and one nerf gun uses more paint than a squad of miniatures, I ran out quick. I found cheap acrylics at Wal-Mart and the local book store (I live in a college town) work just as well for about 1/8 the cost. But that's just if you hand-brush.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users