Photo

To The Admins Of The Site. Is It Difficult?

This is a very big site.

5 replies to this topic

#1 koolsteve

koolsteve

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 03:10 PM

My question to you, the moderators is.....
Since the nerf haven is such a big site, and it recieves so many hits a day, doesnt it cost a lot of money? Do u post ads so people give u money to run the site? How does this work?
Isnt it a difficult job to moderate a site with of thousands of memebers?

Edited by koolsteve, 20 December 2005 - 03:11 PM.

#2 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 04:27 PM

CX will probably lay it down more specifically, but seriously. Look around the site. Do you see any ads? No. CX pays out of his own pocket for this site, just for the sake of helping a growing nerf community. If at any time he wishes to close down the site, he can do so. I doubt he would, however. And by the by, there are less than 2000 members registered at the site, and only 20 or so are online on a normal day. Yes, we did have like 300 online once, that was crazy. Shindig is usually around the forums, I'd call him the "main" or "most online" mod. It doesn't seem, anymore, that we need so many. Things have calmed down around here since I joined early last year.

TS

#3 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 05:08 PM

CX pays out of his own pocket for this site, just for the sake of helping a growing nerf community.

Exactly, TS.

This site and the intellectual property contained is his and his alone, hence the seeming lack of democracy here. If any of us don't like it, there are no fences holding us in. Any of us are free to leave (or be suspended for a couple 27 years if we can't control ourselves).

/\
I have a hard time calling some of the posts I've been seeing lately as "intellectual property".

If at any time he wishes to close down the site, he can do so. I doubt he would, however.

I don't doubt it. He has better things to do with the money he spends to keep this site running. He could keep the site, shut down the forum boards, and call it a day.

But, I'll say again and again, what's so hard about a couple of rules to be followed? If someone came on to your personal property and put all kinds of crap on it, wouldn't you want some action to be taken?

Think about the revocable privilege of being a member of NerfHaven.

If you break any of the above rules, the NerfHaven staff can, and very likely will, delete your account with little or no warning. If you repeatedly troll or spam on this forum I will personally ensure that your Internet access is terminated within two (2) working days.

I hope that answers your question, koolsteve.

I'm not a moderator, but I've been on the forum long enough to know and see who is serious enough about this hobby and who's just here for the Christmas break.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#4 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:49 PM

What pinapple said and this as well. Many of our veteran members actively try to make people who don't follow the rules feel unwelcome, sort of a self regulating mechnaism. There is an attitude of elitism here, and it is on purpose. In the past I have been one of the nice guys, willing to give an annoying newbie a chance, and asked that others did as well, disagreeing with other veterans who were being pretty harsh. Yesterday I reached my limit, which is why I busted off on you, not that I am sorry, but it is an explination.

I highly recommend you, koolsteve, to check out nerf HQ. There is a lot of cross over traffic, and they don't ban newbies for doing noobish things. If you had really read the forums for some time now, you would have picked up on how things are done here, the importance of the code of conduct, which you are seem to be complying to now, and you wouldn't have been caught off guard that people here can be really harsh on new guys. Apparently you are catching on now, so that makes me happy(er). Nothing like a good trial by fire to produce quality forum members.

Edited by J_cobbers, 20 December 2005 - 06:50 PM.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#5 Maverick Master

Maverick Master

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:36 PM

also if you suspend a member can you stop them from just creating a new account
Cpt. Brian Scott of UGNS

Under
Ground
Nerf
Squad

Alias Scoped loser (+)
(.)(.) :)

LordofTheRings434
"In a sense, what I'm saying is that you shouldn't waste your time handling your balls. Go for the foamy rods instead."

#6 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:46 PM

also if you suspend a member can you stop them from just creating a new account

Most of the time. Every once in a while one gets through but I usually catch on just from the way they write. At that point it becomes a public humiliation issue for them and they usually just go away.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users