Photo

Question About The Far

17 replies to this topic

#1 rosebud

rosebud

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:20 PM

I wasnt sure whether I should bring up an old topic or not so I just created my own. So my question is that I want to create the FAR. However instead of using it for Nerf I want to modify it to shoot Airsoft. I want to know if the spring has enough power to shoot something the size of the bb or would I need to change the spring.

#2 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:58 PM

It has enough power, yes, but I'm not sure how much exactly. Keep in mind, you would have to get a hop-up unit and airsoft barrel for it to work.

#3 WratH

WratH

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:48 PM

You could easily replace the AR spring with an M100 or something like that.
Death be not proud. Though some have called the mighty and dreadful... Thou art not so.

#4 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 01:26 AM

Not really, the plunger is too heavy for an m100 I think, and the plunger tube far too large for any safe fps for an airsoft bb, even with heavy ones. Resize it and it should work, how did you intend to load bb's for firing?
And as everyone knows, money makes the world go round. It's also the root of all evil, therefore the world going round is evil, and we should stop the rotation of the planet.

#5 PissBacon

PissBacon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 03:17 AM

Shouldn't you just buy airsoft guns? I'm sure they sell ones that look similar to the FAR anyway, and there's no way it's easier to make one than buy one.

#6 Pico10

Pico10

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 10:52 AM

Shouldn't you just buy airsoft guns? I'm sure they sell ones that look similar to the FAR anyway, and there's no way it's easier to make one than buy one.

I agree and they look better.
"Don't ask questions and expect intelligent responses"

#7 Jakethesnake

Jakethesnake

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 11:43 AM

But making a working airsoft rifle is way better than having mommy buy you one.

#8 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 02:59 PM

Guys the whole point is to build somthing. Yes just going out and buying a cheap springer would be better but you didnt have the satisfaction and building somthing yourself.

#9 BloodMoon

BloodMoon

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 07:33 PM

I fully agree with NinjZ.
I'm thinking that it would be actually cheaper to buy a springer than to try and get all the parts for building a homemade one.

Also, I'm not sure the FAR is the best place to look for ideas on this. The FAR was designed with bulky foam ammunition in mind, so I don't know how much of Bolt's design is going to be relevant to what you're trying to do. The FAR is a good primer for a project like this, but I think that you're going to have to redesign the magazine system to work with the BB's, which will be no small feat.

Edited by BloodMoon, 11 December 2005 - 07:33 PM.

We live in an age when pizza
gets to your house before the police.

#10 rosebud

rosebud

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:39 PM

Thanks for the replys guys, and yes I want to build something because I find it fun and I feel better about using something I built.

Not really, the plunger is too heavy for an m100 I think, and the plunger tube far too large for any safe fps for an airsoft bb, even with heavy ones. Resize it and it should work, how did you intend to load bb's for firing?

I just intend to either create a spring system for the clip or create a gravity fed one and place it right in the middle of where the barrel and plunger tube meet.

yes buying one would be easier and I already have a few Airsoft rifles but want to try something different.

I also just for information have created an airsoft gun with my AT2000 that wasnt working really well. All I did was do the normal mod, but for the barrel I took the shell part of a pen and connected 2-3 of them and attached right to the airtank. Then I put some FBR around it and then some brass to support it. If I can I'll try to get a pic of it, but I dont have a digi camera. The thing gets so much distance and shoots so dang hard... I'd say more than 450 FPS but its a single shot then I have to reload it manually each time...So really it was a test to see if it could really be done so next Im going to make a clip system for it.

Along with this does anyone know how I could make it semiauto, I looked around the forum for a while but didnt really see anything that worked too well. I saw thirsts gun but could someone explain it better for me...

Thanks

Edited by rosebud, 11 December 2005 - 09:40 PM.

#11 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:15 AM

First of all, remember that you are shooting 6mm, .12 gram plastic bbs, not 1/2 x 3 inch foam projectiles that probably weigh many times the heaviest airsoft bb. Second remember that you are trying to line up the bb with the barrel, which is no easy task considering that it is only 6mm in diameter. I wish I could get you pictures, but for now words should do.

A clip would actually be easy compaired to nerf. The main reasons are that the bbs are bbs, and therefore will travel down a hole drilled in a wood block if that is what you want. Also, the bbs have effectively no weight, so springs are not as much of a problem as they were when Bolt was designing the gun. And lastly, if worst comes to worst you can buy a working clip for $5 that you can integrate into your gun. You could buy several clips that way, it might even be a good idea to buy clips and make them work because then you could always buy more.

In your mod, you can do away with the bolt mechanisim completely. Airsoft doesn't need shells, therefore no ejector and no claw and no worries about bolt faces. Well, almost completely. I would make it thinner (the present mech. is like 3 inches thick in order to accomitate the ejector, I believe) and put a nossle on the front of the new bolt that would ram through the clip (or clip-block, it depends on what clip you use; some have horizontal holes drilled into them for this system to work). This nossle would ram the bb through the clip, out, and into the chamber (probably rubber bit with hop up inside). It would stay there until re-cycled.

That is all there is to it. If I had done it I would show you pictures, maybe when I get home to my airsoft guns and cameras I can show you.

And as a side note, I would make the plunger the way it is in bolt's other gun, so that the plunger IS the spring guide and can be lighter. Come to think of it, if you understood any of that, the gun would be downright deadly in an airsoft war... it fires nerf darts about a hundred feet, what would it do with an airsoft bb?

Edit- I compliment you on actually working on an airsoft gun, I have tried to do that (never finished... felt bad about using the school's laser cutter for gun smithing) and it is actually what I came here looking to do- make airsoft guns. Making nerf guns is the next best thing. (which I have done, made a hand cannon... the thing is dangerous...)

Edited by Meaker VI, 12 December 2005 - 02:18 AM.

#12 hoshiadam

hoshiadam

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:07 AM

I would think the FAR might make a decent shotgun for airsoft. In each cartridge, put a thin foam cap on the bottom, fill with airsoft bb's, and then another foam cap. Having never done airsoft, I'm not sure how well it would work.

Adam

#13 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:45 AM

A good way to test FPS cheaply is to get a soda can ( preferabley one made by the cocacola company to keep things the same ). Stand 5' back and shoot into the bottom (thickest) part of the can. If it can go through that, it is in the 450+fps range.

#14 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 02:14 PM

I've never tried shooting airsoft bbs through a can... I didn't think it was possible, but then again I'm using cheap springers that get 250 fps or so. The shotgun idea might work, especially if you already had a FAR built and you wanted to see what it would do. There are airsoft shotguns, but they usually just fire one to three bbs. Actually they are usually pretty good assult weapons, since the pump gives them an incredible ROF (well, if you're playing a springer war, if you are using AEG's then you might stand a changce with a shotgun...). They also make these "shower grenades" that shoot something like 144 bbs all at once...

I'd say it depends on what rosebud's got done and what he's got lying around. I've got all the peices to a Hardball II shotgun lying around my room, which means barrel and hopup especially. I still think that the plunger will be more than sufficiant for any airsoft gun, without being too overly dangerous. And if it is dangerous, then modifying it to fire shotgun-style is always a good way to lower power. Or putting more barrels in without changing the plunger, fire 3 round bursts...

The thing gets so much distance and shoots so dang hard... I'd say more than 450 FPS but its a single shot then I have to reload it manually each time...

Wait a minute, how do you figure it "shoots dang hard" ? Did you shoot yourself with it? I know my friends have broken skin with a cheap P92 that shot something like 260 FPS. Of course, they put it point blank on the inside of their arm and shot there, but still 450 is almost double that.

Edited by Meaker VI, 13 December 2005 - 02:18 PM.

#15 rosebud

rosebud

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 02:25 PM

Wait a minute, how do you figure it "shoots dang hard" ? Did you shoot yourself with it? I know my friends have broken skin with a cheap P92 that shot something like 260 FPS. Of course, they put it point blank on the inside of their arm and shot there, but still 450 is almost double that.

Well I had a friend stand about 15 ft away and shot him... he volunteered for that, but I have tested it against my other guns that get around 390-450 FPS and it fires much harder than them. Also I had a cardboard box lying around, each side about 1/2 in thick and the bb shot right threw it and kept on flying so I think it shoots pretty hard. Plus I've played with it during a few rounds that me and my friends were just playing, it works good but just isnt realistic with having to repump and reload each shot.

The reason I want to do this is because I've got a broken M4 lying around, the catch mechanism for the clip inside the gun broke and I cant fix it, tried but couldn't get it to work. So I was just trying to build something using those parts.

Another question that I posted but no one answerd was can you explain how THIRST's semiauto works because I would love it if I could get the gun to incorperate semiauto into it. Instead of having to shoot then repump then shoot etc... I could get 5 shots off before having to repump... Thanks...

Edited by rosebud, 13 December 2005 - 02:26 PM.

#16 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 02:02 PM

http://nerfhaven.com...l=semiauto&st=0

That should be the topic, but I don't know how well they explain how it works. The only problem I can see with airsoft and semiauto (and it's a problem they were dealing with) is that it won't rechamber after every shot. I suppose you could rig the trigger up to rechamber another bb somehow.... after firing....

And what kind of broken M4 is it that you have? A springer or an AEG?

#17 rosebud

rosebud

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 03:03 PM

Yeah I see what you mean... that will be a problem but I'll figure something out.

The M4 is a springer

I'll keep you guys updated if I figure anything out... Thanks for the help

#18 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 05:07 PM

I'd especially like to be kept updated on this project, it sounds like something I'd like to try to do now that someone has come up with a working homemade airsoft gun. It sounds like you've pretty much got everything you need for it to work; barrel, clip (that'll just make things easier, I still hold that making an airsoft clip wouldn't be that hard), and the other tricky internals from the gun. I would reccomend making the FAR pump-action, that way you could up the ROF which is always excellent in airsoft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users