Photo

Strongest Adhesive

9 replies to this topic

#1 reversedracula

reversedracula

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 01:08 PM

I was wondering what everyone's favorite type of adhesive and sealant is for Nerf weapons. I've been trying plumber's goop, E6000, Household Welder, Gorilla Glue, plastic cement for models, hot glue, various epoxies. What does everyone recommend to get the strongest seal and adhesion? The reason I ask is because my friend did a smashing job of sticking a PVC barrel inseperably to the head of an old supersoaker XP65. I've been trying to put a similar barrel replacement on by big bad bow, but to no great effect. I get a good seal and adhesion, but the barrel always seems to snap off from the side at the slightest angular pressure. Anyone have any recommendations for glues to try or things to do differently? Thanks.

#2 Jakethesnake

Jakethesnake

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 01:22 PM

For plastic to plastic bonding, I think superglue works the best, sometimes there is an oily film on nerf gun shells, if you sand the 2 pieces that are being glued together a bit, and roughen the surface, it tends to glue very well. There is no #1 adhesive out there, each application is better in one area or another but I have the best luck with super glue.

#3 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 01:25 PM

Lepage 5 minute epoxy works very well for me. For a gun with a longer barrell you might consider epoxing this shit out of a coupler and put it on the bow. This way you can have a removable barrell. and the pressure isnt on the glue all the time. Also sand down whatever is going to be epoxied. Then just slop it on, the more epoxy the more grip.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#4 CustomSnake202

CustomSnake202

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 03:16 PM

Plumber's Goop works the best for me. It takes about a day to dry and make a good seal, but once it does, that seal is going to last a very long time.

#5 ItalionStallion

ItalionStallion

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 03:37 PM

www.coolchem.com

Works for everything.

#6 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:58 PM

Try PC-7 epoxy. This stuff kicks butt (if epoxy did have a butt to kick). I really like it.

I used it to reinforce my son's Max Shot, which is still going strong after 1000s of shots, dry-fires, shooting paintballs, sticks, and darts.

For something like sticking a barrel to the end of a gun, I'd suggest Plumber's goop and epoxy on a coupler, which you can stick your barrel into. That's just my preference, to allow fast reloading and barrel length adjustments. That, and also the fact that PETG tubing is an almost perfect fit in 1/2" SCH40 PVC.

Good luck in getting that barrel on! You've lots of choices!

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#7 BloodMoon

BloodMoon

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:24 PM

For that kind of stuff, I use a lot of E6000, but that's mostly because I get tons of it from where I work, not because it's the best. Any superglue based on cyanoacrylate works amazingly well on plastic/PVC materials.
We live in an age when pizza
gets to your house before the police.

#8 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:09 PM

Plumber's Goop is excellent in almost every case you run across. There's also Crafter's Goop (I don't know if anyone else has used this??) which can be found at Wal-Mart, in the craft section. Similar to Plumber's, this takes a day to dry and smells awful. Use in a ventilated area.

I've used Crafter's to seal barrels on AT2ks, SM1.5ks, AT3ks, and even to patch up holes in my PC tubing. Each gun still functions great with the exception of the 1500. That's a result of too many pumps...

~Rings
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#9 TimberwolfCY

TimberwolfCY

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:40 PM

I prefer the Plumber's Goop as well. Adding on to what someone else said, in addition to sanding the parts, washing them counts for a lot, because you have to remove the oil and from the part you want to glue. I learned this lesson originally from putting together miniatures; oil, grime, dirt, etc., does nothing but interfere with the bonding ability of any adhesive.
"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it." - The Architect, The Matrix: Reloaded

TimberwolfCY
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC

#10 PissBacon

PissBacon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 02:41 AM

www.coolchem.com

Works for everything.

That site isn't very informative, and I couldn't even get registration to work. Could you tell me anything about the product? I've been looking for something to substitute JB Weld epoxy and this could be the answer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users