Photo

Good Platform For Cluster Pc's?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Viper

Viper

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:09 PM

What is a computer deal right now or server deal for like 5-10 pc's for folding@home? Of course I'd love to get a quad core G5 or an intel itanium computer, but I want the best bang fro the buck.

#2 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:29 PM

You must have money to burn man....

#3 Enigma1313

Enigma1313

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:16 PM

Uhh...just outta curiousity...whats "Folding@home"?
"Excellence over Compassion. Hatred over Foregiveness. Dedication before Forfeit. So is the way of the Enigma."
-Excerpt from the Preamble of the Enigma Code.

#4 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 12:06 AM

Uhh...just outta curiousity...whats "Folding@home"?

Nerfers Nerfing Disease

Read the forum's sticky!
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#5 baelnorn

baelnorn

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:04 PM

I did some research about diskless nodes about 2 months ago. I was not going to use them for F@H, but for textual data processing, but they will work well for F@H. The idea behind them is that you have essentially just mobo's and CPU's sitting behind a main server that gives them all assignments, in this case work units. The server is just any box with a fast ethernet port. You have the nodes boot off of the lan, with the server set up to network boot each one to a barebones linux system running F@H. When they complete they send the unit to the server which sends it to the F@H servers.

Here is what I was I had as a diskless node's hardware(Prices as of 2 months ago, newegg.com)
Athlon XP 2600+ 79.99
Asus A7V600-X 58.00
Zonet Zen3300E 10/100/1000 12.50
Wintec Ampo DDR400 512mb 39.99
Spire 5F271B1L3 9.99

Total: 200.47

I think that diskless nodes might be your cheapest option, and there may be a new deal on newegg for a better proccessor, I haven't checked lately.

Hope this helps,

Baelnorn

#6 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:06 AM

Thanks for posting what I fully intended to post a couple days ago. That's the way I would go as well.

Basically the project falls within the ideal specs for a 'compute node' farm where each PC has limited-to-zero storage, memory, graphics, etc but as fast a CPU as is cost-effective. This is exactly what Google did when they were serving millions of searches per day on a near zero budget as a Stanford grad project way back in the day. Of course they threw the Google File System into the mix, but therein lies the genius.

I like baelnorn's specs overall. In general, weigh the cost of the entire system against the performance of the CPU. Get yesterday's RAM, the lowest-cost mobo you can find from a reputable manufacturer, onboard everything, and the fast proc that mobo will support.

It will also work well as a render farm if you're into video processing.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users