A New Custom Dart

30 replies to this topic

#1 Matchstick Man

Matchstick Man

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:36 AM

edit

Edited by Matchstick_Man, 21 June 2006 - 11:31 AM.

#2 Lukeinator

Lukeinator

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:46 AM

A very innovative design. I guess the only problem would be that they dont fit new barrels like brass because of the wider top. But office nerfing uses stock or lightly modifies guns, right? So it is a great replacement for stock darts. They're cheaper and probably improve performance. I think the "matchstick" 1105s look pretty sweet.
Ride it like it's stolen.

#3 Matchstick Man

Matchstick Man

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:50 AM

edit

#4 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:13 PM

I may have to dick around with your idea. I like it. I think I can do something cool with it. We'll see how quick I get bored. Maybe I'll post it. Who knows?

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#5 Suave

Suave

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:21 PM

Yeah when I first saw this topic I couldn't help but think: "God, we've got stefans, why do we need more "custom dart" shit?"

But dude, that's a pretty cool idea. Not entirely applicable to fully modified weapons, but if you're still using stock barrels like in a NF and a Mav, like you say, what you've made should work perfectly.

Good job, dude, keep it rollin'.

#6 ambushbug

ambushbug

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:39 PM

cool idea, I think I'll try that. I suppose another advantage to list in your "why"s is that, like stock darts, they probably won't leave the same welts that a hotglue/steel shot stefan would. Which equals less dents in the drywall and safe for the little kids.

Does the Plasti-Dip pour well? I'm wondering whether the material could be applied to fbr with a half-inch (or so) drilled out of the centre. Dripping it in a hole (with disposaable pipettes?) in fbr might mean that the tip wouldn't be of larger diameter than the rest of the dart and, thus, the dart could be used in barrel-modded blasters. And presumably, it could still be used in combination with weights to get heavier stefans but with a slightly friendlier punch (compared to hotglue).

#7 Matchstick Man

Matchstick Man

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:49 PM

edit

#8 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 01:13 PM

Is anyone taking notes? Because this is the way to make an entrance into the community. This guy clearly has done his research and followed every guideline. His site clearly explains what he's done, which is documented with pictures and detail.

I like the idea. I'll have to give it a try over one of my upcoming breaks from school. I now do enough indoor nerfing that my arsenal is quickly taking two paths, one for outside and one for inside. I'll definitely be looking into how your darts work with my indoor set.

If you want to exchange ideas for office warfare and other stories, I would suggest looking up CSMaclaren. His office has done quite a few office wars, and he's posted up reviews about current Nerf guns and their relevancy to office warfare. Pineapple has also been known to do some office warfare, so he would be another great source to exchange ideas with.

And just to put this out there, if your company does anything related to Electrical Engineering, I want to intern with your company! :)
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#9 WratH

WratH

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 01:34 PM

I don't think dipping the whole dart just once would work. I've never made stefans before, so disregard this if I am wrong, but don't you need it to be front-weighted? But altogether, this is a great idea, and welcome to NH.
Death be not proud. Though some have called the mighty and dreadful... Thou art not so.

#10 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 02:05 PM

That's a pretty damn neat idea, I like it. After reading that I think I'm going to have to tinker with this stuff...

Awesome job with the write-up, too. Hope to see more stuff from you in the future.

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#11 Matchstick Man

Matchstick Man

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 02:23 PM

edit

Edited by Matchstick_Man, 21 June 2006 - 11:59 AM.

#12 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 02:36 PM

Very good job man. I am wondering as well if it would have a less welting hit on long range stefans. I am also wondering if it would grab FBR better than hotglue. My only other conern is, how well will it harbor a fishing weight? Will the weight punch through Plasti dip? So many questions so little patience. (Runs to local hardware store forgetting about car in drive-way)
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#13 Matchstick Man

Matchstick Man

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 02:42 PM

Forsaken_angel24,

PLASTI DIP adheres to the FBR really, really well. In fact, I would go so far as to say that it bonds with it. I really don't think you could peel it off if you tried. You would destroy the foam before you could get the PLASTI DIP off.

This is only a guess, but I think if you put a split shot or bb on the foam and then applied PLASTI DIP, it would seal in the weight for good. I could be wrong on that, but this stuff is pretty tough, once cured.

#14 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 02:42 PM

HA HA HA!! Cool idea!

I have two cans of PLASTI-DIP in my shop, actually blue and black, as both insulation replacement and renewal on my tools, and identification of tools (I have tools for four different departments on the place I run, so making sure they're not mixed up is a priority here).

Ya know, the thought entered my mind to try what you did, but I never got around to doing it. The rubberiness of the cured dip seems to be slick enough to work in 1/2" PVC barrels, and with some adjustment, maybe even SCH 80 barrels, which are a little loose for micro stefans. I just cut 20' of 1/2" FBR into stefans...time to get out the dip!

Excellent idea, Matchstick_Man. Thank you for bringing not only a new idea, but a new arena for Nerf innovation and creativity that was needed.

Since I've moved from a metro office setting to a more rural setting, I've not done any office warfare, but it sure brings back good memories. I wish we had Nite Finders when we were warring, that would have been a hoot.

Oh, and of course, welcome to the group.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#15 Matchstick Man

Matchstick Man

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 02:50 PM

edit

Edited by Matchstick_Man, 21 June 2006 - 11:59 AM.

#16 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 04:11 PM

This is an awesome idea. I never thought of using anything other than hot glue; not only would 1105s not hurt you as badly, but they would be much easier to find, especially in the grass outside or in the dark. If they made glow-in-the-dark Plasti Dip that would be even better for night. Excellent job. And maybe if you took a normal Stefan and put the Dip all over the body and the tip and back (the whole thing) it would still work out of barrel modded guns but still be easy to find and look cool. Nice job.
SexD Warves

#17 Sqiggs89

Sqiggs89

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 04:23 PM

That's pretty sweet. I like them. I might try some to scare the hell out of these people who live down my street. Saying

These are huge matchsticks that I'm going to fire, and when they hit the ground they'll catch fire.

and of course they'll believe me because they are dumb.

Anyway, it's a good idea and i like it.
Been a while.
#bro

#18 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 05:31 PM

These are huge matchsticks that I'm going to fire, and when they hit the ground they'll catch fire.

As a former pyromaniac that may not be far off from my next idea. Stefans with match sticks for tips, the kind that light anywhere. Of course they would only be effectice against a wall and the only question is will it light if its hit directly against a wall or does it need to be scraped. Ill post a thread with details when I get results.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#19 Nerferc

Nerferc

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:13 PM

As a former pyromaniac that may not be far off from my next idea. Stefans with match sticks for tips, the kind that light anywhere. Of course they would only be effectice against a wall and the only question is will it light if its hit directly against a wall or does it need to be scraped. Ill post a thread with details when I get results.

You could just make the match dart a tightish fit in your barrel and have at the very end of your barrel(in the inside) a very rough surface. The idea being it would light just as it was leaving the barrel(but the speed of the dart might blow out the flame now that I think about it).
Eagles may fly, but weasels don't get caught in jet engines.

Save gas, fart in a jar.

Formerly known as Nerfnoobc.

#20 Sqiggs89

Sqiggs89

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:14 PM

Dude I was kidding. I was just saying he'd probably believe it. I don't actually want to ignite stuff on fire.
Been a while.
#bro

#21 LDM

LDM

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 08:05 PM

Great idea, Matchstick Man. Like Suave said, they wouldn't be practical for all guns, but I can see myself using them for some. I have to try this idea out. Welcome to the community!

#22 INsecurity

INsecurity

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 10:23 PM

You probably could just melt a hole in the top of a length of FBR then drop a few weights in the hole and fill with the PLASTI-DIP instead of hotglue.
These should work in modded guns fine if the PLASTI-DIP doesn't go past the edge of the FBR.

#23 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 10:49 PM

You probably could just melt a hole in the top of a length of FBR then drop a few weights in the hole and fill with the PLASTI-DIP instead of hotglue.
These should work in modded guns fine if the PLASTI-DIP doesn't go past the edge of the FBR.

The instructions call for you to dip the FBR in the Plasti-Dip. Last time I checked the Law of Gravity wouldn't allow for the set up you described. The weights would fall into the can of Plasti-Dip. Unless you are saying to drop the weight in, and dollop in an initial coat of Plast-Dip to hold the weights in? Please explain.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#24 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:46 PM

Please explain

Basically burn a hole with a glue gun, drop a little bit of the plasti dip in the hole using a spoon or hopefullly a small turkey baster. Then drop the weight in and then pour some more on top. Instant replacement for hotglue. The theory is sound. I will try it on friday.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 15 November 2005 - 11:46 PM.

I know its bad,
After what we had,

#25 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:17 AM

You do realize that is going to leave you with a plastic dipped spoon right? It's not like those things have special shields against that stuff.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users