Alternative Barrel Material

floral water tubes

4 replies to this topic

#1 ambushbug

ambushbug

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 10:59 PM

I just discovered that those floral tubes that come with freshly cut flowers (the plastic vials that are used to "feed" the flowers water during transport; in case you have no idea what I'm talking about, see http://www.floralsup...ain_aquapic.htm make decent barrels.

I was looking for a temporary barrel to range test my new 3B and I have a handful of these things around (I store BBs in them). The ones I have are tapered slightly towards the closed end. I simply hacked/sanded off the rounded closed end and a bit off the open end. I jammed the tube into the existing 3B barrel (cut down and air restrictors removed) until the tube got stuck - and voila.

The fit is tighter near the base (and depending on how much you cut off the closed end) but does a reasonable job for both stock darts and my stefans. I imagine a slightly tigher fit all the way through could add a bit more range (i.e. allow the compressed air to build up a split second longer) but he slightly wider front end means its a little easier to load darts.

If you happen to have these lying around, they might be an alternative to the PETG that you usually have to buy from the pet store (at least, that's where I got mine).

Edited by ambushbug, 30 October 2005 - 11:00 PM.

#2 Jakethesnake

Jakethesnake

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:49 PM

Those are generally too short for any kind of "effective" blaster.

#3 Richomundo

Richomundo

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:35 AM

Maybe there is some other kind of floral tubing available for longer flowers?

That could be an interesting and inexpensive find. Imagine being able to thoughtfully buy your mom/girlfriend/boyfriend/grandma flowers and get a barrell at the same time!

#4 Rip32

Rip32

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 01:21 PM

Seems too good to be true.
http://www.break.com...iencechild.html
Funniest video ever. This kid needs some serious help

#5 ambushbug

ambushbug

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 03:48 PM

Those are generally too short for any kind of "effective" blaster.

I think JTS has a point in that it seems to be limited in its application (I think the longest tubes I've seen are 4"). And the tapered shape may make it difficult to use as a barrel stub (for nesting a longer, wider diameter barrel over it) without good support from surrounding couplers. But 3 - 4" is enough for for some of my muzzle loading blasters (e.g my NF) and for shooting stock darts (where longer barrels are not really an option).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users