Xbow Barrel Length?

How long...?

10 replies to this topic

#1 DrunkenSloth

DrunkenSloth

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:04 PM

Hey guys just a quick question. I have a modded x-bow (no spring upgrades, just breech loading with banding). I have a 12 inch barrel on it, but I think that is a bit too long and that I might be losing range. What would the barrel length be for maximum range? I have heard 8-10 inches is best on an x-bow. Thanks.

#2 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:48 PM

I forget who said this, but the best method is just to cut down the barrel and see the ranges until they drop or just reach the range you want, then keep it right at that length.
SexD Warves

#3 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:11 PM

We need to know what what barrel material and how the darts fit in it. It's usually 8-10" depending on material.

#4 The Inventor Guy

The Inventor Guy

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 06:11 AM

My Crossbow's Barrel is composed of 3" of 17/32" K&S Brass and 10" of 9/16" K&S brass nested in 12" of ported PVC.
With a 30" Octopus Strap as banding, I can get around 120' flat with good power.

The 17/32" brass is set on the plunger tube in 2x1/2" couplers.
The first is a half threaded coupler; the threaded end is used for grip on the glue to hold onto the plunger.
There is then a 1" piece of 1/2" PVC as a joiner for the couplers. The second coupler is a plain one.
The Brass goes from the Punger tube to about the end of the last, external coupler.
The primary 9/16" nested brass barrel slides over the 17/32" brass/into the coupler.
The blaster is loaded by squeezing a dart into the 17/32" brass section, then placing the barrel over onto/into the coupler and sealing with the inner brass.

I hope this helps you.
I would highly recommend reinforcing the plunger rod if you haven't already. Banding that thing without reinforcements is just asking for it to break.
For brass, I'd say 10-12" would be good.
If it's PVC, I'd say 8" to 10" would be ok, 10" for nicely fitting darts.

-Tidge.

Also active on NerfHQ as Tidge.

#5 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:38 AM

I have found that eyeballing it actually works, in terms of barrel length on my xbow. I see people modifying their xbows and putting barrels that look too long because it looks unbalanced. On mine, the sch 80 pvc barrel with 17/32" brass as an actual barrel material, is just long enough to look right. It's not too short, and it doesn't look to long for the gun.

Here, take a gander:

Posted Image

Really, whatever barrel length works out for you. And no, it doesn't suffer from a loss of accuracy because the barrel's shorter than most. It can still hit just fine.

Edited by Falcon, 17 November 2005 - 11:44 AM.

----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#6 Starsnuffer

Starsnuffer

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:00 AM

Is "banding" when you add rubber bands to the plunger shaft to pull it in faster? Also how does one reinforce a plunger shaft and to a lesser extent the rest of the gun. My nitefinder I think may try to quickly desintigrate with the power i have in it (I would imagine it shoots about 50-60 flat (*EDIT*my basement is not long enough for it to drop at all)). Just wondering how to reinforce.

Edited by Starsnuffer, 17 November 2005 - 07:01 AM.

I'm just a newb, don't hurt me.

#7 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:37 AM

It's not like the mods section of this site tells you or anything.

#8 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:43 AM

It's not like the mods section of this site tells you or anything.

In other words...
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#9 Starsnuffer

Starsnuffer

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:48 PM

Sorry good sirs but I have already read BOTH of those things and it only mentions the word, never quite WHAT it is. So a straight answer would be helpful. Sorry for being pushy/newbly/annoying but I dont see why you would go through the trouble of making a post to tell me to read things that I have read before except for the principle of the thing.
I'm just a newb, don't hurt me.

#10 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:10 PM

Sorry good sirs but I have already read BOTH of those things and it only mentions the word, never quite WHAT it is.

Excerpt from Rawray's Xbow mod:

To make the barrel, take 10" of 1/2" sch[/COLOR=orange]. 80 PVC, place inside of that 12" of 9/16" inch brass. The brass should stick 3 inches out of the back inside of the 12" brass section is a 6" piece of 17/32" brass.
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#11 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:26 PM

Yes, banding is using elastics to force the plunger to move faster.

Reinforce your plunger by gluing thin strips of metal into the groove present in the plunger itself. You may need to trim the actual slide that the plunger rests on in the case in order for it to fit after adding the metal.

~ompa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users