Home Made Bolt Action

need assistance

6 replies to this topic

#1 joeyaglr444

joeyaglr444

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 05:00 PM

I thought up an idea, I have some Pvc and if i run out Canadian Tire is not too far i was wondering what to do with it and i thought id make a bolt action loser rifle but..I got the parts for the rest but does anybody know how to make a bolt. I need an easy one i dont know where to get brass. Anybody have ideas (Pictures would be appreciated.
Boys Become Men....Men Become Wolves

Blaffair to Rememblack.

#2 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 05:24 PM

Here's mine.

Using brass would allow for the bolt-action part to be much smaller, as building out of pvc would mean you end up using 1-inch pvc and 1/2 (or something that slides in the 1-inch pvc), which makes for a very bulky bolt-action system.

You can buy brass online at various stores, google it.

~ompa

#3 Dr Nerf

Dr Nerf

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 06:48 PM

My bolt action homemade is available here.

As ompa said, brass would be much smaller. I used 1" and 1/2" PVC to make it, and it turned out quite well. A bolt with brass would be much smaller and much easier to build, but I wanted to make sure my bolt sealed well, so I build it out of PVC so I can use some O-rings to create good seals. It took a lot of work (mostly sanding and dremeling) to build it, but I would say it was worth it. If you want an easy to build bolt, just go with brass. It would be much easier to build.

#4 joeyaglr444

joeyaglr444

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:52 PM

Thanks a million guys, Anybody else i wanan gather ideas and see which one fits my style.

Blaffair to Rememblack.

#5 Alexlebrit

Alexlebrit

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 10:23 AM

The other advantage of brass sliding inside brass is that it's self lubricating, which means you can get much greater tolerances and avoid jams. This in turn makes sealing things easier.

Don't be scared of brass it's a lovely material to work with, and because it's quite soft you can use hand tools a lot of the time.

#6 joeyaglr444

joeyaglr444

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 05:03 PM

Problem of Brass: cant find any place in Toronto that sells.

Blaffair to Rememblack.

#7 BloodMoon

BloodMoon

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 09:52 PM

Well, I don't live in Canada, never mind Toronto, so I can't help you there. I get my brass at Ace Hardware for about $3.25 a foot (9/16 OD), but I hear that you can order online, and it may be cheaper. In case you haven't heard enough about brass, the final thing I can say is that Brass comes in all sizes down to 1/32 of an inch. It's VERY helpful to walk into Ace with a dart or some material and just check all the sizes of brass until you get to the one that fits.

Also, as a new person to Homemades (who is trying to get all the information he can), I'd like to see a list of the other materials you'll be using to make your bolt-action rifle.
We live in an age when pizza
gets to your house before the police.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users