Photo

Need For Sticky In This Section?

5 replies to this topic

#1 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 09:16 AM

I think it is pretty obvious that we have a lot or repeat subjects in the mod forum, so I propose that we make a couple of sticky topics on the following subjects:

1) Basic/common modifications, air release plugging, spring streaching/banding
2) Barrel materials, types and uses, how to add a new barrel.
3) A pinned topic for pictures of modded guns.

Hopefully this will cut down on repeat questions, and make it easier for new membersto find the answers they are looking for.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#2 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 09:36 AM

I think it is pretty obvious that we have a lot or repeat subjects in the mod forum, so I propose that we make a couple of sticky topics on the following subjects:

I would oppose this for the following reasons:

1) Basic/common modifications, air release plugging, spring streaching/banding

Ragornocks already wrote on this subject and his article can be found in the articles section of the forum.

2) Barrel materials, types and uses, how to add a new barrel.

Cxwq has also written on that subject, and ironically enough his article can be found in the articles section.

New members are expected to read the forums and search before they post. We have an articles section for a reason, and I don't see why we need to duplicate a lot of the same information. If you can think of a way to perhaps provide different information, please let us know.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#3 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 10:13 AM

My reasons are the following.

1) The Articles forum is highly inactive. Few people post there and it is at the bottom. If one is navigating the forums they are likely as not to click on the Community forums tab rather than the NerfHaven tab. If they navigate in this fashion then they are likely not to see the articles forum. Topics in the Articles forum haven't been posted in for months and in some cases over a year.

2) Placing stickies in the Mod forum make the information more visable and accessable. The opening post could and probably should contain links to the articles. If the articles were linked in the topic it might help reduce annoying newbie questions. I'm all for less repetitive clutter. Granted pinning these topics may be repetitive but in the long run having them there to reduce seeing the same topics over and and over makes sense.

3) The General nerf section has a pinned note on how to make stefans yet we also have this article by Langley. Why shouldn't we do the same in the Mod section?

4) The search function does not always get you to what want, I use it, but I've been fustrated by it as well. I have on more than one occassion resorted to looking through the pages one by one until I found the thread I was looking for.

5) I think having a topic for pictures easily accessable would give people a better idea of how to mod guns and what can be done.

Basically I see having these sticky topics as solving more problems than they will create.

#4 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 10:58 AM

*snip*

Touche. Since it was your idea, edit the first post to the proper material. Anyone else can feel free to post additional information. I'll then clean up the topic and edit its status to sticky. Sound good?

I guess we all browse this forum a little differently. I've rarely had a problem finding any information, but then again, that could because I've been reading this site since the beginning. ;)
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#5 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:52 AM

Yeah, seriously, I'm not about to advocate making the site idiot proof, seeing as I'd like to erradicate all the idiots.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#6 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:23 PM

*snip*

Touche. Since it was your idea, edit the first post to the proper material. Anyone else can feel free to post additional information. I'll then clean up the topic and edit its status to sticky. Sound good?

I guess we all browse this forum a little differently. I've rarely had a problem finding any information, but then again, that could because I've been reading this site since the beginning. ;)

Sounds good, it's a deal, but for the sake of clarity if you don't mind, I'll start fresh topics to become sticky's one for each of my proposed subjects.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users