Photo

Guide To Barrel Material

229 replies to this topic

#176 stuper bunny

stuper bunny

• Banned
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:05 AM

What are the general rules for springers versus air powered guns? I've lurked for a while and I've always wondered how people come up with their barrel lengths. I have a NF and Pistol Splat with CPVC couplers, and the Big Lots knockoff Big Blast that has some CPVC glued in the barrel. If you had to guess for the length of a proper barrel for those what would it be?

I'm not trying to be a newb and have people do my modding for me, I just can't afford to screw it up. Measure twice cut once as they say.

Around me, CPVC is 3.44+tax for 10'... hardly expensive, even for a college student, less than $.40/foot.

I got a 10' section and cut a 4", 5", 6", 7", 8", 9", 10", 11", 12", and 13" barrel, then I test my blasters to find the best length. It cost less than $4 to get all the barrels, worth the investment.

However, if you really can't test, I would guess 4-5" for the NF, 5-6" for the pistol splat. Not sure on the big blast thing.

The reason I couldn't properly test barrel lengths is because I'm using leftover CPVC from something the UK Solar Car team had to build. To be honest, I never even thought of hitting up the local Home Depot :o Guess who feels stupid now?

#177 reconsareweird

reconsareweird

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:24 AM

My question isn't one of material, but rather length. I shoot BB weighted streamlines, and I've found that CPVC works really well with them. The catch is that I don't have an infinite supply of CPVC to experiment with (~5 feet). So I would like to know the right length for springers (NF, Pistol Splat) and for air powered guns (Big Blast) before I waste a lot of CPVC. Thanks in advance.

About 5 inches work for NF's, not very sure on exact measurement because it all goes down with how well you modded the thing. If you want to get really technical, you could use boltsniper's equation.

#178 moosa

moosa

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:16 PM

So I recently went out and picked up some 1/2" CPVC from Home Depot. This stuff is surprisingly flexible though. And due to its inherent flexibility, the 10 foot rods seem to have some degree of permanent curvature to them. I'm worried about using this stuff for barrel material. Barrels need to be straight.

Does the CPVC that everyone's using flex under its own weight like this, or did I just get some weird crap? It's sort of a darkish beige color, and it was the only 1/2" CPVC they had there.

Yes, that's likely CPVC, it's usually a darker beige like you described, not white like PVC. It does have some degree of bend to it. Whenever I go to the store to get CPVC, I take a piece and try to roll it on the ground. If it's too bent, it won't roll easily, so put it back and try again. I can usually find a pretty decent piece. When you take it home, just let it sit on the ground for a little to try to straighten it, and store it somewhere where it can't bend, supported on a few spots throughout its length.

When you cut it down, it doesn't bend so much. It's just a little floppy as a 10' piece.

I just got back from the nearest Lowes, and I picked up some more CPVC from there. They only had 5-foot lengths, and it was a tad pricey ($2.78 for 5 feet), but this stuff was much straighter than what I found at Home Depot last time. The length could be a contributing factor, but I guess you just can't assume all 1/2" CPVC to be identical.

Around me, CPVC is 3.44+tax for 10'... hardly expensive, even for a college student, less than $.40/foot.

I got a 10' section and cut a 4", 5", 6", 7", 8", 9", 10", 11", 12", and 13" barrel, then I test my blasters to find the best length. It cost less than $4 to get all the barrels, worth the investment.

This is an excellent idea. I am definitely doing this. This is advice that anyone new to modding should hear. Thanks for sharing! :)

Edited by moosa, 20 March 2010 - 10:16 PM.

Yes.

#179 Qwear

Qwear

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:06 AM

I have a question.
If i want to rebarrel a bbb, What size Pvc do i get? I want to shoot stefan micros (1/2 in diameter) I got a 10 dollar budget.
Thanks.
-Qwear
If someone asks me how many digits i memorized of pi, i just say:

Pi = Yum

#180 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:43 AM

1/2 Inch CPVC, it's tan and very near to the PVC Just go to the plumbing section, and 10 feet should cost you less than $5. Just bring your dart and fit test it, if you're using suctions, taggers, or whistlers the tip SHOULD NOT go in the barrel, only the foam. If it fits the foam very nicely, you're good.

Edited by death by cheez, 08 April 2010 - 10:44 AM.

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#181 Qwear

Qwear

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:07 PM

1/2 Inch CPVC, it's tan and very near to the PVC Just go to the plumbing section, and 10 feet should cost you less than $5. Just bring your dart and fit test it, if you're using suctions, taggers, or whistlers the tip SHOULD NOT go in the barrel, only the foam. If it fits the foam very nicely, you're good.

If someone asks me how many digits i memorized of pi, i just say:

Pi = Yum

#182 Borgadin

Borgadin

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:23 PM

Hello I need some Measurements of Brass Pipes and would be thankful if Someone could provide them.Why? You ask it´s simple:I live in Germany and we use the Metric System here so measurements in inches are of no use to me(Due to variations in conversion ratios).I need the ID´s, OD´s and Wall thicknesses(in Millimetres) of 1/2", 17/32" 9/16" and 19/32" Brass.
Thank You in advance
Borgadin

Edited by Borgadin, 16 May 2010 - 03:33 PM.

Statistically 1 out of every 3 persons in the world are crazy, If your 2 closest friends are both sane Guess What?
Fight My Brutes Furball666 and B.A.Hairy

#183 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:33 PM

Hello I need some Measurements of Brass Pipes and would be thankful if Someone could provide them.Why? You ask it´s simple:I live in Germany and we use the Metric System here so measurements in inches are of no use to me(Due to variations in conversion ratios).I need the ID´s, OD´s and Wall thicknesses(in Millimetres) of 1/2", 17/32" 9/16" and 19/32" Brass.
Thank You in advance
Borgadin

Why don't you just bring one of your darts to a store that sells brass and get the size that fits your darts good.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#184 Borgadin

Borgadin

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:12 PM

Why don't you just bring one of your darts to a store that sells brass and get the size that fits your darts good.

Because I´m trying to help some fellow German Nerfers to get supplies for an Angel-Breech but for it to work we need the right materials (it doesn´t only have to fit the darts but into each other as well)so I need dimensions to see if I can get it in this Country(I´m not sure whether They sell it here) or what alternative material I can find.
Thank You for Your time
Borgadin

Edited by Borgadin, 16 May 2010 - 06:13 PM.

Statistically 1 out of every 3 persons in the world are crazy, If your 2 closest friends are both sane Guess What?

#185 Borgadin

Borgadin

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:48 PM

@Just Some Bob:Thank You for Your help !That was just the type of Data I was looking for,with that page I might even find a Retailer in Germany that sells it. :D
Thanks again You have been very helpful!
Borgadin

#186 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:26 PM

Snap-fix (UPC 11651-23520 for 1/2" PVC) is a two part sleeve that's intended to be slapped over a leak in a run of pipe.

Posted Image

It's intended to be glued on, so it slides quite well.

Edited by taerKitty, 09 June 2010 - 08:27 PM.

Fugly is a feature.

#187 TimberwolfCY

TimberwolfCY

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:38 PM

I found some thick-walled PVC at Lowe's earlier today; it fit my micro-Stefans perfectly it seemed initially, though I forgot some brass tubing to test for nesting. It has the same OD as normal 5/8" PVC; guess that would make it 1/2" thick-wall...anywho, I was just curious if anyone might know of any disadvantages of this stuff if you'd ran into it before; otherwise I'm thinking of picking some up (assuming the brass works) and using it for most of my breachloaders and pistols, as it will save a ton of time and effort making barrels (I don't have any power tools besides a Dremel nor the money to get them) because right now I'm using a hacksaw. Any thoughts, comments, etc. would be great.
"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it." - The Architect, The Matrix: Reloaded

TimberwolfCY
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC

#188 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:30 PM

I found some thick-walled PVC at Lowe's earlier today; it fit my micro-Stefans perfectly it seemed initially, though I forgot some brass tubing to test for nesting. It has the same OD as normal 5/8" PVC; guess that would make it 1/2" thick-wall...anywho, I was just curious if anyone might know of any disadvantages of this stuff if you'd ran into it before; otherwise I'm thinking of picking some up (assuming the brass works) and using it for most of my breachloaders and pistols, as it will save a ton of time and effort making barrels (I don't have any power tools besides a Dremel nor the money to get them) because right now I'm using a hacksaw. Any thoughts, comments, etc. would be great.

Don't use that stuff. I got a batch that melted on me at a war in Chicago. It's a completely unstable barrel material.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#189 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:46 PM

Thickwall PVC? You mean like SCH 80? Or are you referring to PEX, which I had no idea came in sizes that worked with 1/2" PVC sizes?

#190 byebyepinky

byebyepinky

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:38 PM

If anyone would post what sizes of PVC and brass they recommend for micro stock and micro stefans, I'd be eternally grateful of them / willing to donate blood to them / appreciative.

I thought it'd be 1/2" for the CPVC and a bit more for the brass, but nothing fit my darts.

*insert extremely sad face*

it is 1/2 in cpvc

#191 TimberwolfCY

TimberwolfCY

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:42 AM

@Tantum: I'm honestly not sure, I haven't seen anything like this before today. For now I will say: in OD it was like normal PVC the NIC has been using for ages, but it's ID doesn't fit megas, it fits micros, so 1/2" I recall it saying thick-wall on it, it was grey and near the electrical stuff. I get payed Thursday so I'll very likely be picking up a segment, along with some other stuff to work on a valve concept I've been thinking about. I'll be letting you know shortly. It likely isn't something all that spectacular, I rather doubt the entire NIC ran past it, and I alone after an extended hiatus happened to stumble across it. We'll see soon enough though I suppose.

@Ice Nine: Pardon?

Edited by TimberwolfCY, 04 August 2010 - 02:43 AM.

"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it." - The Architect, The Matrix: Reloaded

TimberwolfCY
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC

#192 cheerios

cheerios

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:46 AM

I think your talking about sched 80 PVC, It's the only Grey PVC I can think of.
22:46- jakejagan :Ryan, did you hear that Zeke's BBBB made N9 bleed?
22:47- Zorn :BONUS

#193 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:12 AM

Or electrical conduit with particularly thick walls...
Teehee.

#194 Zack the Mack

Zack the Mack

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:14 AM

For now I will say: in OD it was like normal PVC the NIC has been using for ages, but it's ID doesn't fit megas, it fits micros, so 1/2" I recall it saying thick-wall on it, it was grey and near the electrical stuff.

It's Schedule 80 electrical conduit. Here's a link to the same stuff in 2" (The 1/2" isn't on Lowe's site).
EDIT: Split beat me to it.

Edited by Zack the Mack, 04 August 2010 - 09:14 AM.

Ask me questions about electronics, Arduino, and 3D printing

#195 squint 22

squint 22

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:32 AM

I have a question.
If i want to rebarrel a bbb, What size Pvc do i get? I want to shoot stefan micros (1/2 in diameter) I got a 10 dollar budget.
Thanks.
-Qwear

1/2in CPVC (not pvc)

#196 Inferno Falcon

Inferno Falcon

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:16 PM

Does anyone know if any petg usable by the nic is avaliable on McMaster?

I am looking for a suitable barrel material for springs and air guns that would fit This foam. I would like to stay away from brass if at all possible. What would you suggest?

#197 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:21 PM

I am looking for a suitable barrel material for springs and air guns that would fit This foam. I would like to stay away from brass if at all possible. What would you suggest?

Springer barrel material --> 9245K25
Airgun barrel materials --> 48855K21

Try searching next time.

#198 Inferno Falcon

Inferno Falcon

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:32 PM

Springer barrel material --> 9245K25
Airgun barrel materials --> 48855K21

Try searching next time.

I apologize. Thank you very much for your help. I've been looking all day for that.

#199 andrew3537

andrew3537

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:32 PM

I would like to know where i can buy cpvc cuz home depot doesnt have it and im trying to single my longshot all i kno is that it has pvc is that ok or do i need cpvc and if i do use pvc wat darts can i use for it can i use stefans?

#200 Y-Brik

Y-Brik

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:59 PM

Responding to question:
Home depot has CPVC. Ask someone or look harder. In my store it's stacked vertically next to the copper pipe. You need CPVC if you want to fire stefans; I don't think anyone has done a PVC singled LS. Oh, and judging by your post quality, the LS may not be the gun for you to mod. Have you even opened the thing? Is it your first mod? If the answers are what I think they are, forget it. Go get a 4B or a NF and learn before you try such a complex mod.

Edited by Y-Brik, 27 September 2010 - 11:00 PM.

As I said I have not not alot of testes yet but I will be once I finish the mod.

Why I am boycotting Hasbro

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users