Homemade spring/plunger powered handgun

167 replies to this topic

#26 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 10:58 AM

That is perhaps the most fan-fucking-tastic thing I hath lay mine eyes upon.

All of a sudden, fanboys all over the world are touching themselves. Because of your creation. All you need is the Grammaton Cleric symbol engraved under the barrel and you'll be set.

/signed on the beer and pizza idea...don't we live near each other, Bolt?

-Groove out.

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#27 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 11:12 AM

With another weapon added to the homemade arsenal I think the next step for bolt is to look into automatics. After that I dont know what else he can do.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#28 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 12:27 PM

All of a sudden, fanboys all over the world are touching themselves. Because of your creation. All you need is the Grammaton Cleric symbol engraved under the barrel and you'll be set.

/signed on the beer and pizza idea...don't we live near each other, Bolt?

I was and still am tempted to put the emblem somewhere on the gun. The guns in the movie were ported to give the muzzle flash in the shape of the symbol. Impossible in real life but really fucking cool.

Don`t you go to VCU Groove, or was that someone else?

After that I dont know what else he can do.

I still have yet to make a air powered gun of any sorts. I`ve always sort of veered away from it after my first go at it on the Bolt-action. Perhaps a compressed air powered rifle is on order. Maybe use a turret or something on it. That could be cool.

Edited by boltsniper, 06 October 2005 - 12:31 PM.

#29 ShortShit

ShortShit

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 02:02 PM

Amazing Job. Cleanest, most efficient pistol homemade to date. That is definetly something to be proud of. Something tells me your going to be making yourself at least one more of those babys eh? :)

Fantastic.

EDIT: and next thing we know ~ you'll be making a micro-pistol-clip to latch on instead of the flashlight, heh.

Edited by ShortShit, 06 October 2005 - 02:09 PM.

~SS

#30 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 04:09 PM

Again, props on the homemade. That even looks posible for homemade newbies like me to attempt.

Hey! Groove has a heavenly amount of posts! :)

TS

#31 leftnut

leftnut

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 04:53 PM

Holy crap that thing is orgasmic. I can't wait to see the right up on it and everything. Just wondering how much does it cost to make and how long do you think it would take some one on their first few tries?
"You are obviously a megalomaniacal insecure little boy stroking your faltering ego with your own hairy palm in order to prove your suedo-alpha male status..."
-BadAssReptileFarmer to Talio

#32 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:42 PM

It didn`t cost me a damn thing. I already had all the materials. I don`t really understand why everyone always asks the cost of any of my guns. You should know the basic prices of the materials. There is nothing really foreign except for maybe the spring.

I used the following materials:
1" thin walled 230psi PVC ($2)
1" SCH40 PVC ($2)
1/2" SCH40 PVC ($1)
1/2" CPVC ($2)
1/16" Music Wire ($2)
3/32" Brass Tubing ($1)
1/16" Aluminum Plate ($3)
1/2" Sheet Metal Screws ($1)
1/8" Balsa ($1)
1" low stiffness tension spring ($2)
pen spring ($1)
AR15 Carbine Spring ($10) (or something equivalent. I just happen to have these leaying around)

So its looking like around $30 to do the basic pistol if you had absolutely no materials to start with. Everyone has PVC laying around though. And click pens. And screws. etc. The problem with most of this stuff is you have to buy way more than you need to do this pistol.

I designed and built it in 2 days. It's really not that bad. You could probably do one in 3 or 4 days following plans and taking your time.

Stay tuned I`m going to post some videops of the trigger mechanism tonight and some more pictures.

#33 leftnut

leftnut

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:04 PM

It didn`t cost me a damn thing. I already had all the materials. I don`t really understand why everyone always asks the cost of any of my guns. You should know the basic prices of the materials. There is nothing really foreign except for maybe the spring.

I was just wondering because I wasn't sure exactly what you used and how efficient it would be to build with the NF still on the market.
"You are obviously a megalomaniacal insecure little boy stroking your faltering ego with your own hairy palm in order to prove your suedo-alpha male status..."
-BadAssReptileFarmer to Talio

#34 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:36 PM

You can get the same performance out of a Nitefinder, thats for sure. But it doesn`t look nearly as bad ass and no one cares when you show up to a war with a plain old nitefinder.....

I was jsut stating in general about people asking about cost. Not you specifically. In the multiple FAR threads there must have been like 10 different people ask the material cost.

#35 murakumo32

murakumo32

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:38 PM

If you use 1/3 of the spring, then wouldn't that make 3 guns? So that would mean that if you had the will to make 3 guns, then that comes out to $10 a pop.
Nerfing, now fortified with vitamin C!
-or-
100% Nerf, for 100% pwnage.

Nerf is a neutral weapons dealer. Anyone coughing up the dough can get armed.

and they're made of Foam... which makes them very Nerfy...

#36 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:46 PM

What is the length of the cut spring, I'm wondering if my old xbow spring will work.
And as everyone knows, money makes the world go round. It's also the root of all evil, therefore the world going round is evil, and we should stop the rotation of the planet.

#37 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 08:40 PM

The spring is 2/3 of its original length. I cut 1/3 off. So no go on the s guns from one spring. Flamebo the spring is 6" long when uncomompressed.

Here are some more low res crappy videos of the trigger mechanism and me screwing around.

Walkaround
Trigger Mechanism
Trigger Detail
First Person Baby!!!!! (This cracks me up everytime I watch it)

And here are some more pictures

Posted Image

In the below picture you can see how the trigger plate engages the catch. You can see the main spring through the hole top the right of the catch in the picture. The hole is there to let air in behind the plunger as it moves forward.
Posted Image

Here is a closeup of the trigger plate. I took a wire brust wheel to it and polished it up a little. It looked gross with all the paint on it.
Posted Image

The plunger/spring assembly as you would pull it out of the gun. The wire loop come s off allowing for further disassembly
Posted Image

Edited by boltsniper, 06 October 2005 - 11:29 PM.

#38 Crappy Nerfer

Crappy Nerfer

• Banned
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:34 PM

Oh my god. I love it! You have a homeade Primary and Secondary and they look about the same! I also love the video where you are walking around with the gun, it looks like a shooter game. You are probably the most important homeade Nerf gun creator.
"If one notices a patch of gangrene in a wound on the back of one's hand, one does not simply hope that it gets better over time.

One cuts that shit off at the wrist and learns to masturbate lefty."

- Death

"By BC do you mean Boston College?"

- nerfer34

#39 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:09 AM

Awesome, the xbow spring will fit but I'm wondering about strength comparision. Oh well, I'll find out when I make it. I have every thing I need too. To the dremel!!
And as everyone knows, money makes the world go round. It's also the root of all evil, therefore the world going round is evil, and we should stop the rotation of the planet.

#40 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:10 AM

hop to it!

#41 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:20 AM

Er, I'm lost, I think I'll just gather everthing and wait till tomorrow when my brains working properly. A list of dimentions is all I really need, the pictures describe assembly clear enough.

#42 WratH

WratH

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:00 PM

Dude, that is absolutely amazing. You are my new favorite home made gun maker. You are also one hell of a genious(is that how you spell that?) Thank you for making me so happy :lol:
Death be not proud. Though some have called the mighty and dreadful... Thou art not so.

#43 SG Pilot

SG Pilot

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:46 PM

The FAR was amazing enough. THIS IS JUST INSANE! Superior of all work, bolt. :D A lot of people are gonna be all over you :lol: Maybe for those who are dying to have one maybe you could start selling kits so you don't have to build the guns and you make a good lot of money. I mentioned this before in another topic a while ago.

Edited by SG Pilot, 07 October 2005 - 05:49 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Oct 9 2009, 04:45 AM) View Post

I know, I HATE toy guns that are made for little kids!

#44 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 06:42 PM

This pistol is a relatively quick build and all the pieces would be easy to mass produce. I`m seriously thinking about building a few and auctioning them off.

#45 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 07:12 PM

Whats the parts price you paid?

#46 WratH

WratH

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:09 PM

Bolt, you think you could ever get around to chrono'ing these babies? One of my friends isn't convinced that these things would hurt....
Death be not proud. Though some have called the mighty and dreadful... Thou art not so.

#47 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:23 PM

If I ever get access to a chrono again, or just buy one, I`ll be sure to test it.

Ninjz, I paid nothing as I had all the parts already. If you had none of the materials you could probably get everything for under $30.

#48 tenesee23

tenesee23

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 08:42 PM

That is really, really cool. From what I can see, it is much less diffucult to build then the FAR, so I might builld one. I don't think I will though, because it's your idea. It would make it less badass if more than just you had them, you know what I mean?

BTW: Equilibrium was an awesome movie, I might re-rent that.
Go Team FuckBuddy!

#49 Ronster

Ronster

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 09:50 PM

Dood that is the pancake of my brakefast. The eraser on my pencil. The shoelaces on my shoes. The bulb in my flashlight. The... Well, you get what I mean.
If all the other people before me havent said it enough, that think freakin' kicks ass.

BTW, I love the first-person video! I crakes me up evey time I watch it!
-I Nerf, there for I am.

QUOTE(baghead @ Oct 25 2006, 09:55 AM) View Post
Ronster reminded me that I should have warned you all Prepare your Bladder for Imminent Release!!!!

#50 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 10:21 PM

Working on the writeup. Here is the basic schematic of the pistol.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users