Winter Vs Nerf Guns

Will winter win or nerf outlast

25 replies to this topic

#1 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 10:45 PM

Can the nerf guns handle the cold? Are the spring or pump guns better in the cold? Any certain guns jam up? I searched but I couldnt find anything and am planning another clan wars in the winter but with teams of 4. I don't want a player going out with cruel intentions and going home with a broken primary. This question is really directed at all the experienced/dedicated nerfers out there who froze their balls off testing guns or shooting at eachother. Also any guns broken due to winter horror stories welcome.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#2 tenesee23

tenesee23

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:11 PM

I remember the last time I nerfed in the cold. I was using an AT2K and after about a half hour the vlave blew up. I was so pissed. Never nerf in the winter.
Go Team FuckBuddy!

#3 Event Horizon

Event Horizon

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 08:26 AM

I've never done it, but i would think it depends on the temperature and how long you nerf for. If it's only slightly below zero (celcius) then i think you could nerf for a little while. If it gets much colder I think you would have problems with plastic parts cracking from the combination of cold and how much stress is put on them. So unless you can find some way of heating your guns you can't nerf outside in winter without causing serious damage to your guns. Although, snow forts and nerf guns would be a pretty sweet combination.

#4 NerfLad78

NerfLad78

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 09:20 AM

It doesn't get too cold down here (30 - 50 degrees), and last winter, when we Nerfed, our guns worked fine. Just use common sense, and your guns will survive.

#5 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 02:56 PM

The Clan wars winter games is going to be up here in Ontario Canada so it can get pretty cold. Like -25 degrees celsius. I just want the guns to last as long as it takes to camp someones house. The guns however will have to be cocked or fullly pumped first for 5 minutes sometimes even an hour. Thats my big worry. What about like a rapid fire thats only pumped half as much? Or a maverick because the plunger tube is small and doesnt hit as hard as a modded nitefinder.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#6 blink 182

blink 182

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 03:40 PM

Naa, not a problem. Sure the cold will have some affect on your air guns but nothing to the extent of blowing the valve as soon as you walk outside. Our first war, there was snow outside, and all our guns held up quite nicely.

Ps: Angle, give me a call when you guys war, I would love to have a clan vs. clan war? Sounds cool?
New Price On Freedom, Buy Into It While Supplies Last...

#7 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 06:42 PM

And, you'd lose almost no darts if there's snow on the ground because of the black stefans against the white snow. Not a bad idea.

TS

#8 Beaver Vortex

Beaver Vortex

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:43 PM

Unless the snow is deep and light enough that stefans would go right through it. Then it might be a good time to play checkers or something.
I am the Milkman. My milk is delicious.

#9 nerfisfun

nerfisfun

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:56 PM

:o No way! where in ontario? That's where I live (and how many people to a team?) I'm so pissed because I just spent 9.99 US and now theyoh the air tech 2000's (only availible in america) don't work! *is so pissed head explodes*

Edited by nerfisfun, 25 September 2005 - 08:14 PM.

QUOTE ( N-Strike agent 007)
  You posted a link to the forum rule in my thread and I nearly threw my computer out the window. Thats like giving some one a demerit in school and not telling them why just handing them a list of rules because you are TO LAZEY to tell them why.

#10 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 09:00 PM

We had a war in winter just once. Only once, and was decided it wasn't cool anymore. I think we had a moment of silence for at least 4 guns (AT2k, Ballzooka, BBB, and if I remember right, an Ultimator). The Ballzooka's springs were pretty weak, but the BBB really made me wonder. We had below freezing temps, and that didn't help. And people were throwing snow that hit the guns.... :o

Judging on bad experience, I wouldn't risk it. Then again, my friend's house is perfect for an indoor war...It's up to you.

~Rings
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#11 TimberwolfCY

TimberwolfCY

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 10:30 PM

Just thought I'd post this:

-25 Deg Celsius = -13 Deg Fahrenheit

I don't think almost anyone in the continental US has experienced this, including myself.

I hate to say it, but I don't think I'd even let my Nerf stuff out the closet if it were that cold out: I'd imagine that anything that uses an air bladder would have to worry about freezing, and any of the hard plastic would crack easily as well.

Edited by TimberwolfCY, 25 September 2005 - 10:31 PM.

"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it." - The Architect, The Matrix: Reloaded

TimberwolfCY
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC

#12 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 10:43 PM

So basically good quality springs and say no to anything with a bladder. What about even a nitefinder with the popping technique where you take out the spring completly, then pop the gun plunger with your hand? Is there anything we can do to the nerf guns before we take them out to prevet breaking them?
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#13 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:18 AM

I've nerfed in the cold/snow quite a few times. The things I have noticed are as follows.

1. Plastic tends to get brittle in the cold. You need to be more gentle to the casing and parts. Having the spring guns re-enforced is a must if you are going to be nerfing when it is that cold.

2. Air is much more compressed in the cold. That's a basic scientific fact, but it's worth mentioning.

3. This one is more safety related. Make sure everyone is properly dressed for the occasion, especially if you are waring during the winter in Canada.

Edit: I'll add more later, when I am thinking clearly.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#14 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:51 AM

Lets also talk about FBR and how it acts in the winter. Does it become so brittle and dried out or does it become stronger. Will they shrink to the point where the barrell to dart fit is now off? Do they hurt more when shot out of a high powered gun?
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#15 nerfisfun

nerfisfun

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:51 PM

Where in ontario is the war being held? Also, when you cross the border it doesn't suddenly get colder, there is only a brief time when it's below 0 C OH wait I got the PM ;) let's see... nope, That's too far for me for nerf... Any more wars in a more southern direction? Are all the clan wars in ontario? And whats the most southern one-while-still-in-ontario-clan-war?
How old is the Oldest and youngest person in the clan wars?
Why do I ask so many questions?

Edited by nerfisfun, 26 September 2005 - 07:28 PM.

You posted a link to the forum rule in my thread and I nearly threw my computer out the window. Thats like giving some one a demerit in school and not telling them why just handing them a list of rules because you are TO LAZEY to tell them why.

#16 Event Horizon

Event Horizon

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:44 PM

Lets also talk about FBR and how it acts in the winter. Does it become so brittle and dried out or does it become stronger. Will they shrink to the point where the barrell to dart fit is now off? Do they hurt more when shot out of a high powered gun?

I'm not sure if they get brittle or shrink of anything like that. But one thing I do know is that something like a steffan from a high powered gun will hurt. If you're used to -20 temperatures you know that anything hitting cold skin stings like hell. Well, I guess that answers one part of your question.

#17 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:03 PM

Cold has no effect on Stefans down to at least 20 degrees F, I've left them in the snow and it didn't do anything to them. It's fine.
SexD Warves

#18 ambushbug

ambushbug

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:35 PM

Funny, I was just thinking about this same type of thing..... I don't know much about winter nerfing (or any outdoor nerfing at all for that matter) but after being informed by Blink182 about CFM, it seems almost like its the duty of us Canadian nerfers to "master" winter "warfare". C'mon, since when have Canadians (or Americans from the Northern states) let cold temperatures/snow stop them from having a good time. Sure there are some technical concerns but surely (and judging from some of the encouraging replies) nerf and winter are not mutually exclusive. You'd probably have to incorporate some extra rules (i.e. no snowballs, at least for the sake of the guns)

I say go for it, though from the sound of it you're already planning a war. Shit, just think of the possibilities: in addition to snow fortresses, you might be able to incorporate vehicles (e.g. toboggans, GT snow racers, tire tubes) into the war - depending on the terrain. Like the ultimate snowball fight. Hmmmm......you got me thinking this could be something REALLY good.

#19 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:15 PM

I say go for it, though from the sound of it you're already planning a war.  Shit, just think of the possibilities: in addition to snow fortresses, you might be able to incorporate vehicles (e.g. toboggans, GT snow racers, tire tubes) into the war - depending on the terrain.  Like the ultimate snowball fight.  Hmmmm......you got me thinking this could be something REALLY good.

This game is a little different. Check out the meadowvale clan wars thread in general nerf for details. Also any player who is being shot at or shooting in the game should be wearing a jacket so bare skin shouldnt be an issue. I am not saying Canada gets weather thats -20 all the time I just wanna be ready for it. Just in case. Players marking their darts would be key for the winter. How do you expect to feel anything through Gortex?
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#20 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:14 AM

2. Air is much more compressed in the cold. That's a basic scientific fact, but it's worth mentioning.

The thing about cold air is that weather or not it's more dense doesn't have any effect on gun performance because whatever the temperature, the air on the inside of the gun will still be the same pressure relative to the air outside of the gun.

I don't think the cold puts that much stress on the plastic though. Unless you're going to pull a hitler/napolean and invade russia in the winter with your nerf gun, I think you'll be okay.
The thing to remember is that the air is much dryer in the winter, so rubber seals and o-rings may become brittle or crack, but more than likely they'll just harden up and leak a little untill they hit warm moist air again.

My conclusion would be don't worry about nerfing in the winter, just make sure you don't leave your guns out in the cold when you aren't using them.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#21 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 07:52 AM

Personally, I have noticed that air guns work better in a really hot, humid enviroment and spring guns work better in a mild to cold enviroment. This is my personal experience, but I think it also comes down to the gun. I've seen some of the nastiest 2k shots in the cold, one that even drew blood. Remember that Warlock?

"MEDIC!!"

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#22 leftnut

leftnut

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:32 PM

The only problem I would see wouldn't be with the guns but would be with calling hits. You won't be able to feel the hits as easy unless it hits bare skin. Just get people you trust to nerf with and it should be good.
"You are obviously a megalomaniacal insecure little boy stroking your faltering ego with your own hairy palm in order to prove your suedo-alpha male status..."
-BadAssReptileFarmer to Talio

#23 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 11:46 AM

Even if you dont trust them you can always chalk your dart tips. I remember one nerfer saying he used peanut butter on the tips.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#24 leftnut

leftnut

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 02:01 PM

Even if you dont trust them you can always chalk your dart tips. I remember one nerfer saying he used peanut butter on the tips.

I should try that, have every one wear black and use some baby powder on the tips, thats a good idea. I like to nerf at night but its hard to call hits because you can't be sure so we have to just guess how possible it was to hit and turn on the lights and find them, oh I meant nerfing at night in my house, its really fun. Anyway thanks for the tip.
"You are obviously a megalomaniacal insecure little boy stroking your faltering ego with your own hairy palm in order to prove your suedo-alpha male status..."
-BadAssReptileFarmer to Talio

#25 nerfisfun

nerfisfun

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 05:14 PM

What if they accidently get some on themself, how could you determine wheather there is a hit or not? Meh, I guess if you spill it on yourself that's your problem...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users