One Nerfer's Review

4 replies to this topic

#1 Death

Death

Ass-Kicking Overlord

• Contributors
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 02:46 PM

After much internal conflict, I decided to finally go and see Gangs of New York last night. The aforementioned conflict arises in my deep hatred of Leonardo DiCaprio, an actor whose work I've boycotted since he played the worst Romeo this side of Hell. I pride myself on being one of the few people who has never seen the movie Titanic. However, the combination of Daniel Day-Lewis returning to the screen for the first time since 1997, and Martin Scorcese finally finishing this nigh-thirty-year-old labor of love, proved in the end to overpower my seething disgust with the casting director's decision for the protagonist.

STORY
The majority of the film is set in early 1860's New York City at the time of the Civil War. The influence of the historical element on the tale adds a decidedly exhilirating atmosphere to an otherwise rehashed plot (boy watches daddy die, boy gets older and tries to have his revenge while falling in love with a beautiful woman). The only plot twists worth noting arise from the infusion of history into the story, turning a tired, old, worn-out story into a thoroughly enjoyable plotline (though they could have shaved some time off the film by foregoing the forced conflict between DiCaprio and Diaz; everyone knows they're gonna fall in love, Mr. Scorcese, just let it happen!).

ACTING
Leonardo DiCaprio did surprisingly well, in my opinion. Though he couldn't fake an Irish accent if you threatened his life, one could attribute that to the fact that (in character) he was born and raised in America. Same goes with Diaz's little pickpocket. Both actors were able to portray the necessary emotion and carry the feel of the movie quite well, but there were a few times when poor accents got in the way of the film. Daniel Day-Lewis, on the other hand, made this film. He MADE it. I seriously doubt I would have liked this movie were any other actor in his place. He plays his character to the proverbial 'T,' and maintains a visage that one loves and despises all at once. His accent can make for both comic relief and vital tension when necessity calls. Wonderful, outstanding, amazing. My choice for Best Actor in the upcoming Academy Awards. Finally, a surprise cameo by Liam Neeson (as my favorite character in the film, "Priest" Vallon) puts forth another wonderful, and well-established acting job, even if he does buy it in the first scene.

DIRECTION
Scorcese utilizes a very stylized approach in presenting this film; it almost feels cartoonish at times. However, it never falls into the realm of corny or distasteful filmography. It has the feel of a tall tale or a folk legend, and all the more bite due to its historical context. Definately a new Scorcese masterwork, in my opinion. The way in which he exemplifies the melting-pot atmosphere of New York during a major immigration boom is phenomenal. The art, language, and music hail a wonderful meld of cultures: Irish and African and German and Slavic. Wonderfully put together.

MUSIC
The film's soundtrack is amazing. Aside from the everpresent melting-pot atmosphere, the music works to perfectly set the mood in each and every situation in the film. Particularly of interest to me is the battle song; a wonderful combination of Celtic piccolo and African tribal rhythms, it paints the scenes with the color and emotion and passion of ancient folk music, passed down generation to generation. It simply adds to the folk legend feel carried throughout the film.

CONCLUSION
See this movie. If only for the bad-ass battle scenes, awesome music, or outstanding acting of Daniel Day-Lewis, see this movie. Well worth the $8.50, and well worth the 160 minutes.

DEATH

Let a man never stir on his road a step
without his weapons of war;
for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise
of a spear on the way without.  --Hávamál 38

#2 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 05:40 PM

I can't say how much I agree with you. From the people I've talked to, this seems like a love it or hate it movie. I thought it was damn good. Daniel Day-Lewis did an amazing job portraying his character, he was absolutely perfect for the role. And I really thought that Liam Neeson was perfect for the role that he portrayed, and it was too bad that there wasn't a little more of him (although he was really background for the story). I really liked this movie.

The historical part was really interesting too, especially because this is the exact time period that we are studying in US History right now. The corrupt politicians, tensions with immigrants, and civil war aspects are amazingly accurate, a perfect representation of the time period.

#3 Guest_SentinalofNight_*

Guest_SentinalofNight_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2003 - 07:59 PM

never saw it

#4 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 08:11 PM

Is today international dig-up-threads-about-movies-on-a-nerf-forum-that-have-been-dead-since-january-day? You didn't even see the movie!! You dug up a topic from a couple months short of a year ago to say you didn't see it??

Kill yourself.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#5 JSkater

JSkater

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 08:19 PM

never saw it

....The fuck's wrong witchu boy?
QUOTE(Arcanis)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Why dont you have anything to drink!?
Choose one, making you better feeling!

2 user(s) are reading this topic