Photo

New Topic To Get Away From The Sniper Topic!

Straight Barrels

4 replies to this topic

#1 murakumo32

murakumo32

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 11:45 PM

Whenever I add a barrel to one of my guns, I can never get the barrel straight. What do you guys do to ensure strsight barrels?
Nerfing, now fortified with vitamin C!
-or-
100% Nerf, for 100% pwnage.

Nerf is a neutral weapons dealer. Anyone coughing up the dough can get armed.

and they're made of Foam... which makes them very Nerfy...

#2 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 01:04 AM

You really have to use your eyes on this one. I use contact cement let that dry straight. Then I cover that in hot glue for added support then let it dry. Then wrap all that with electrical tape for even more support. It is truly a bad feeling when you drop a gun and the barrell is now off center.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But Iím just not the angel you knew.

#3 PissBacon

PissBacon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 02:31 AM

Surrounding the barrel with flexible materials like hot glue and e-tape will not keep it from bending out of line when it's dropped; they will just flex with it. Not only that, but this doesn't answer the original question

To make sure a barrel is straight, the method will really depend on what gun you are modding. For something like a blast bazooka with a long barrel, you can use a pendulum. Get a right angle to mark a line along the barrel stub; this will be a reference point, so it is important the line be straight so the barrel will be too. While the barrel/stub of the gun is facing the ground, attach the pendulum (probably tape) so that it runs along the marked line, physically touching it. I'm lucky enough to have a vice in my room, but use whatever is convenient to hold the gun in place while doing this alignment. To make sure it's lined up both left-right and foreward-backward, you need to see both if the string lines up with the line and if the string is parallel to the barrel stub.

The black lines are the gun, orange is the barrel/stub and pink is the pendulum.
Perspective is you looking at the gun while its stub points towards the ground.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Good ------------------- Bad --------------- Bad
Using paint images: just goes to show how inarticulate I am.

It really depends on the gun; on some guns you can use decorations that go across the gun lengthwise that are clearly parallel to the barrel instead of using a right angle. After you have the pendulum where you want it, just put the barrel in the stub, making sure it lines up with the pendulum, and glue.

#4 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 05:04 AM

Very interesting idea, with the pendulum and all. I like.

I usually eyeball it, and then sight along the gun as though I'm aiming, because moving the barrel to even with eye level wi reveal any angles, as you can line it up with the central crack of the gun's shell.
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilývatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#5 JC

JC

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 07:19 AM

Use structural support near the base of the barrel. Also, glue the barrel(s) on with just a little bit of hot glue before you use something more powerful and with a longer dry time. That way it will be somewhat stable while the power glue does it's job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users