Limewire

Legal?

33 replies to this topic

#26 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:31 AM

There is no mainframe. Kinda like skynet.

Wait a minute, Skynet actually exists! Forget about the p2p, we should be worried about The T-1000 and governators!
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#27 NerfLad78

NerfLad78

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:34 AM

Hey guys how do I take downloaded music from LimeWire and put it into iTunes?

#28 euphemism

euphemism

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:43 AM

Open iTunes then do file, add file to library.

#29 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:14 PM

Or you set itunes are your default player and turn the limewire player off. Then when you preview a file it automitcally opens in itunes and saves it to your library. That's what I do.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#30 Richomundo

Richomundo

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:30 PM

torrents > everything else.

hXXp://www.magnetbox.com/riaa to check if music is on an RIAA label. I tend to not support RIAA labels.

#31 NerfLad78

NerfLad78

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:17 AM

Thanks everybody! Now... what to search?...

#32 tenesee23

tenesee23

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 09:33 AM

I believe that LW is similar in how it works to Kazaa or iMesh or Ares. I have used Kazaa and iMesh and was happy, for the most part. If you have a firewall you are in minimal danger of getting a Virus or Trojan or Worm from Kazaa or iMesh

This all depends on what type of firewall you are talking about. Generally speaking however, a firewall will not help you at all. A firewall is just used to block of intruders accessing ports in your router/modem/hub and malicously altering the setup of your PC aka hacking. A virus scanner that is constantly running in the backround, will filter 90% if not all of the viruses, although, if all you are downloading is music, viruses are not ussually batched with them, as most viruses need to be installed via an executable, or .exe. If you download programs through Limewire, then you have to watch yourself.

Legality - iMesh and Kazaa are P2P networking and I am relatively sure that LW is too - and I believe that means that if you have a file on your PC and have the little box checked in your Prefs that says others my take my files, it means that your file is uploaded onto a network that Kazaa and iMesh have and when others try to D/L it, they take it from the mainframe of the program

This is actually exactly why Napster originally got shut down. See you uploaded your music to a mainframe and then pulled other music off that. So when the RIAA got angry, they just shut down the whole mainframe and that was that. Now with Limewire and others you directly connect to other users and downloas of them, P2P=Peer to Peer. Although teh RIAA would love to, they can't shut down thousands upon thousands of users lol.

If you are going to use Limewire or a similar program just make sure you disable sharing. My friend said something about how they can't track you or something if you disable sharing. I dunno that's just what I do.

This is true. I am not sure wat has been said about the 1500 songs, however I do know this. The RIAA has people that go around and download things. Now they check the content to see if it is liscenced, which it ussually is not. Then they track your IP and can get your contact information and charge you. If you are behind a firewall or router though, you shouldn't need to worry about it, you will be harder to track. Play it safe though, don't share back. It may defeat the purpose of P2P, but hey, as long as there are enough people out to download off of,I'm happy.

One last note, if you download Limewire, it is now giving you a message like"Don't download illegal stuff or we will consume you souls!" That is nothing to worry about, they are merely protecting themselves. So when the RIAA yells at them, they can say,"We say not to do it!"

Edit: Sorry if this is a little long lol

Edited by tenesee23, 25 September 2005 - 09:33 AM.

Go Team FuckBuddy!

#33 PissBacon

PissBacon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 12:07 PM

It doesn't matter if it was a little long; I was waiting for someone to correct rambo's misconceptions. On a further note about getting busted, usually the RIAA goes after 'supernodes', especially ones who share tons of files, since they are the biggest problem. So if you're using one of those programs, don't enable supernode features, and like it's been said already, don't share too many files.

#34 NerfLad78

NerfLad78

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 06:06 PM

You guys sound like you know what you're talkin about. I'll take to this advice.

Regarding supernodes I saw a guy with 1750 shared files earlier today.

Edited by NerfLad78, 25 September 2005 - 06:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users