New Barrel Found!

from a fax machine!

5 replies to this topic

#1 Richomundo

Richomundo

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 03:09 PM

I had just bought another pack of at2ks, and I was wandering around my house deciding to experiment with random barrel materials.

I didn't want to destroy my crayola markers, copper was too heavy and didn't fit the FBR Right.

Thats when I stumbled upon this bad boy lurking in the trashcan.
Posted Image
My mother had changed the ink cartridge in our fax machine, and thrown the old one away. There is a hardboard tube in the center of the ink paper, which is kind of glossy on the inside of the tube.

I took my length of FBR, and it fit perfectly in the cardboard tube holding the ink paper. So I unrolled all of the Ink Paper and threw it back into the trashcan, salvaging my hardboard rolls of soon to be foamy death.

In each printer fax ink cartridge there are two of these hardboard tubes which are about 12 inches long each. The only downside is there is a little notch cut into each end of the tube, but that can easily be fixed with tape.

So if you are on a budget, and your parents have a fax machine, are homeless and living behind an office depot, or if you are an office nerfer wanting to re-use your old fax machine cartridges, salvage the tubes from the fax machine cartridge for a different type of barrel that works surprisingly well. (for me anyways.)
*EDIT*
I get about 80-90 feet, but I'm not in an area where I can do accurate range testing, since my house is on a hill. I haven't plugged the over pressure valve either. Will post more definite ranges later on.

Edited by Richomundo, 11 September 2005 - 03:34 PM.

#2 Ronster

Ronster

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 03:23 PM

What are the ranges compaired to CPVC, Brass and PETG?
-I Nerf, there for I am.

QUOTE(baghead @ Oct 25 2006, 09:55 AM) View Post
Ronster reminded me that I should have warned you all Prepare your Bladder for Imminent Release!!!!

#3 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:28 PM

Sounds nice and light too.

Cool find, I have a fax machine with those cartridges.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#4 barnes

barnes

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 07:35 PM

Intresting. I have an old fax machine I should go check. Someone should try to compare ranges between them, CPVC, Brass, and PETG.

#5 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 07:52 PM

Intresting. I have an old fax machine I should go check. Someone should try to compare ranges between them, CPVC, Brass, and PETG.

Completely meaningless unless you're all using the same exact darts.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#6 euphemism

euphemism

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:19 PM

I'm not trying to hijack the thread or anything, just thought I'd add another barrel type. This tent repair sleeve available from REI works as a micro barrel but it is tight, and at $0.75 for 5" it's more expensive than PVC (but still cheap). It seems to be some sort of gold, aluminium alloy, also it fits perfectly in an ex-3 barrel.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users