Robot!

A Nerf Mech!

7 replies to this topic

#1 SG Pilot

SG Pilot

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 01:53 PM

Check out this walking peice of destruction. Although you wont see it in a battle, it demonstrates that this giant thing can walk AND shot it's nerf guns on it:

Nerf Mech!

Edited by SG Pilot, 30 August 2005 - 01:55 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Oct 9 2009, 04:45 AM) View Post

I know, I HATE toy guns that are made for little kids!

#2 pinhead52

pinhead52

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:12 PM

Dammit! They beat me to it! I've been preaching about the possibilities and tactical advantages of mechs for the last three years, and I'm happy to see that somebody has actually built one. Sure, it hardly steps giving it zero of the advantage the bipedal system should have, but this is a big step towards a totally awesome military development. Thanks for the link.

#3 murakumo32

murakumo32

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:27 PM

That is the mother of all nerf weapons...
Nerfing, now fortified with vitamin C!
-or-
100% Nerf, for 100% pwnage.

Nerf is a neutral weapons dealer. Anyone coughing up the dough can get armed.

and they're made of Foam... which makes them very Nerfy...

#4 Renegade

Renegade

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:27 PM

That's pretty awesome.

Just so you know, there was already a topic on this.

*linkage*

#5 Illadar

Illadar

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:25 PM

Based on the vidoe I dont think that it actualy walks, it looked more like it was rolling its feet along the ground and alternetaly breaking the wheels.

#6 NerfLad78

NerfLad78

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:18 PM

I read the old topic, and it made me think: Do you remember how the tank started? I could walk faster. Armored? riiiiiight... Weapons? well, you can't count a fricking COLT .45 as a heavy weapon, can you? Maybe I'm being facetious, but think about it: The point is that further R&D will lead to improvement. It may be slow at first, but after playing mech warrior and other similar games, I really think it's possible.

#7 pinhead52

pinhead52

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:14 AM

You're not far off base. If you think about it modern advances in robotics could be pointing, militarily, right in that direction. First of all they have nearly mastered bipedal robotics, meaning they could build a military vehicle that was not hindered by uneven terrain like every other vehicle they have (except the dune buggy). Secondly, the use of carbon micro-tubes. They can essentially make sheets of diamond-hard quasi-metal that is hardly heavier than some weaker metals. This allows them to make larger vehicles without having to deal with the fact that there aren't really hydraulic pistons that could push legs like that around. After that some of the graphics from the latest mech-warrior games have the physics and probabilities down right, but I doubt they could ever move like that (Didn't they dash sometimes? Maybe it's a different mech game I'm thinking of). Either way, imagine a walking tank. It wouldn't be hard for it to have mounted large calibur guns as well as missiles. Sounds a bit like a goliath, doesn't it? Yes, I've been thinking and ranting about this to my engineering friends for over a year now, and yes, I have drawn plans.

#8 PissBacon

PissBacon

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:21 AM

I'm wondering what the advantages are to having a 'walking tank' or bipedal type of weapon for the military, aside from being badass and intimidating? It seems like unless it was incredibly maneuverable other vehicles would be far better, along with aerial support in any situation. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like unless people come up with something crazy like anime cartoons have it wouldn't be very useful.

PS: I've seen videos of those bipedal robots (on a much smaller scale of course) doing things like playing soccer with great agility and reaction, entirely autonomous; who knows if these are practical on a larger scale though.

Edited by PissBacon, 03 September 2005 - 12:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users