By: Renegade

32 replies to this topic

#26 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:49 PM

I understand the whole "showing someone the ropes" issue. But generally, the people that necro threads are the people I've found to be the morons who we don't want on this site anyways. Generally if it seems like the person has the potential to be a valuable member, I do try to just give them a warning and answer their question at the same time, if I am able to.

But Badger does have somewhat of a point; with the validation line as long as it is (partially my fault, but I'm sure all the admins will have that under control in a few weeks once finals are done), there is more than ample time to read all the rules.

~ompa

#27 Crese

Crese

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:23 PM

Thanks for the polite reply Ompa.
Please understand I didn't mean to call anyone a brat specifically...
I simply wanted to address the... I'm sorry... there's no other way to say it... "bitchy" kind of way old members on forums get at newcomers.

It's been my experience that if a topic isn't locked then it's open for postings, on all the forums I've used.

While it's fun to tote the "you shoulda read the code of conduct" hammer, You've got to be realistic... do you seriously expect people to read that thing before a problem has arisen?
Nobody is going to come into a forum that's ever used one before and think "hmm, I better read about how to do this".
I'm just trying to keep it real with you, man.

I'm not trying to stir the S*** here and I'll be following your suggestions and guidelines now, but this teetering Ban swarm seems unhealthily easy to create here...
I've been reading a lot of threads and been seeing this pattern.
I don't see why everyone can't just chill out and be cool here without reaching for the doom hammer whenever there's a small issue like this.

I'm otherwise really enjoying this site and the forum. I'll be sure to check the dates on threads so nobody gets bent out of shape again but would like to respectfully suggest that maybe it's better off to just lock threads eventually... especially ones that are years old.

Thanks again and I'll be seeing you around.

Edited by Crese, 11 May 2008 - 10:24 PM.

"Nothing Good Can Ever Come From Staying With Normal People."

#28 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:52 AM

...do you seriously expect people to read that thing before a problem has arisen?...

I did. The fear of a certain Viking's wrath kept me quiet even after I was validated. If people find something on a site like this that makes them want to be a part of it, they'll look around a bit before clicking the "register" button. In that looking around, they will almost certainly find evidence that the CoC is a vital part to life here at the Haven. People are expected to know the rules and to follow them. The aim of this site is not to make everybody feel good, it's to provide a place to exchange ideas. So if one does a poor job at expressing ones ideas due to laziness, consequences are dealt. There are expectations when one is a member of Nerfhaven.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#29 KyleDarklighter

KyleDarklighter

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:18 PM

If I might offer a suggestion or 2. First Ompa if you have the time maybe splitting this part of the discussion to a new thread and let this one return to to the archive might be a wothwhile solution. Second for the Non-Mods knock off all the back seat moderating people. If YOUR opinions on who should be banned were important and valid enough you'd likely be asked to be a Mod on a site. It's not the Mods who give newcomers a harsh welcome it's the members who likely feel they should have those powers. Personally I'd love to see that sort of thing be a suspendable offense here but that's just me. Lets keep the "OOHH your in TROUBLE" talk in the playgrounds. Ompa I personally think your doing a good job of balancing warnings vs. bannings lately, thank you for the effort you put in We now return you to your regularly schedualed thread funeral.

Garrett

#30 MrNerf

MrNerf

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:28 PM

solid job on the mod- it'll be my first one if it doesn't take me eternity to take out the screws <_< ...have you discovered anything new to improve this mod recently?

#31 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:42 PM

solid job on the mod- it'll be my first one if it doesn't take me eternity to take out the screws <_< ...have you discovered anything new to improve this mod recently?

This mod is 3 years old :blink: . Why not PM the creator?
QUOTE(A side of nerf @ May 18 2008, 12:33 PM) View Post

Also, could you post some more revealing pictures?

#32 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:55 PM

I find it kind've odd that more than a page if this thread was just complaints and commentary on a necro. Just let it be guys, seriously.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 15 2009, 01:55 PM) View Post

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. A good nerf gun is like a good woman. It shouldn't require extra lubrication.

#33 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:30 PM

Be happy that I'm far too tired from exams to be pissed.

*closed*

~ompa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users