Photo

Censorship On Forums

19 replies to this topic

#1 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 11:02 AM

I've noticed that some other Nerf forum sites have become increasingly hard-line with regards to editing, censoring, and etiquette enforcement. It certainly makes the forums a more 'pleasant' and grammatically correct place but we've always held that the best approach for NH is more hands-off.

How do you all feel about censorship for the common good? Or does such an animal even exist?
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#2 freakymist

freakymist

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 12:20 PM

What kind of censorship?
like when I post "fuck" you edit it to @^#&
or like when I post like this:
sup? I relly like neerf becuase its fun!!!!!!
you edit the spelling errors....

#3 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 12:47 PM

They're both censorship, right? Interpret the question as broadly or specifically as you wish.

#4 Atticus

Atticus

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 01:38 PM

Censoring words = baaaaaaad!
Editing posts to make them readable = good!

One of the main problems I find at NHQ is that just about every word that could be viewed as "offensive" is edited. Even stuff like "goddamn" or "ass/asshole" and stuff are censored. Censoring certain words take away from the connotation behind words. Like, if I was really pissed off, and wanted to say "fuck you!", and it would show up as "**** you", the feeling isn't really there. But editing posts on the other hand... please do, atleast with the ones that are like "yo guys im new hre whts nerf can u sel me soem godo guns? lol nca u reply 2 me or IM em". Yeah, edit those... please. At NHQ also some people however find it a game to edit every misspelling, which is fine, as long as you don't make a deal about it such as at the bottem of a post, put "[mod edit] please try to remember that 'a lot' has a space in it" or other anal retentive stuff like that. Hell, edit all you want, just don't bash the people who pressed the space bar one letter too soon.

#5 MysticFalcon182

MysticFalcon182

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 02:33 PM

Hullo.
...Yeah

I really just get all pissed off whenever I'm on any forum and I attempt to read a post like so:
"ok i will get them soon be on diablo tonight us east realm"

...Seriously, just make them post better.

Anyways, for censoring bad language, well...

~Mystic~

#6 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 03:02 PM

i think the very environment of this website is completely opposite of what the standard censored boards are.

at nerfhaven:
1) you can say fuck whenever you want. ie: "nerf on or fuck off". 2) there is better spelling here then anyother nerf website i have ever been on. 3) there are more quazi-intelligent discussions and less repeating topics.

i don't think that anything needs to be done to the environment of the forums on this website, besides the possible addition of the Kharma system. i think encouraging people to 'spell or shut the hell up' is better than letting them be lazy, and fixing it for them.
You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#7 LDM

LDM

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 12:41 PM

It's all in the manner of the post. I've seen a post like this before:

"YEAH YOUR POSIT FUCKS TOO SO FUCK YOU" . . . Edit time!

Then there's the nice way:

" . . . What I'm saying is that no matter what, I will always be a SuperMAXX 1500 lover. Nerf on, or fuck off" . . . Nice post.

Then there's bad posts:

"...Also one of my friends swallowed the paint (whitch it auctally goo) and he didn't have to call posin control. and besides it saies on the bottle of the goo; 'if injested, call the posin adminestrators.' or something like that...." - wtrent10 from
NERF HQ

That's just bad, no offense to wtrent10. Even the little things sometimes matter too. But, as Atticus said, this is not a boot camp. We shouldn't drill the people about it, unless it's really bad. NERF, have fun, and post correctly.

#8 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 01:17 PM

"...Also one of my friends swallowed the paint (whitch it auctally goo) and he didn't have to call posin control. and besides it saies on the bottle of the goo; 'if injested, call the posin adminestrators.' or something like that...." - wtrent10 from
NERF HQ

Hahaha, I love that quote.
"I hate that guy so much. Fuck him." I don't think thats right. I don't think it should be used in a totally demeaning way.
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#9 ItalionStallion

ItalionStallion

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 07:49 PM

I have to agree with atticus on this one.

Censoring words like fuck and shti is bad.

But correcting errors is good.

#10 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 08:51 PM

So, the general feeling is that it's good for the administration to correct errors so nobody has to read them but it's bad to rub it in the poster's face.

Where's the incentive for the poster to learn to write/type?

Wouldn't it be more effective if I just left their post as is and laughed at them?

If they don't take the hint shouldn't I just delete their account to save the rest of us a headache?

Or should I just let the eventual karma system take care of it? I can make an ``unreadable'' category for moderation and the mods can make the post vanish back into the ether...

#11 Warlock

Warlock

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 09:39 PM

No censorship! Although I'm a moderator at NHQ, it causes too much work and it's not all that fun and/or effective to insult someone if it comes up as "forget you" instead of "fuck you." I love NH for many things and the open-ness is what I like too.
~§~ Warlock ~§~ Of the Lawn Chair Mafia ~§~

"It's so hard to be a fighter when your hands are always tied"
~"Señor Limpio" by Corrosion Of Conformity

Metal Gear?!

#12 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 09:49 PM

I'm going to try and explain NerfHQ's censoring policy the best I can. The idea behind the system was to try and force the members to be cleaner in their language to try and encourage more intelligent posts by censoring certain words. That bit us in the ass big time.

Most of the reason is because the majority of our members are younger kids, and I have been approached by several asking for some form of censoring, so they could join the site. Apparently, there are parents that actually check where their kids go on the internet :o . Soccer moms are worse than I thought! NerfHQ is really the NoobCentral of the NIC. I hate to bash it, but most of the members there are new and for the most part young. A cleaner environment is better for them.

The main reason why censoring was started was because certain individuals spoke up about it, and the moderation team at the time addressed it then. The decision has not been discussed by the moderation team, or brought up directly by any member (to my knowledge) since the implementation of censoring. Another reason was that from a growth standpoint it looked like a good idea. You must admit, there are some words that it does not touch; maybe I'll give you guys a list so you could work around it.

I do feel that NerfHQ should slowly lift its censoring policy, but not all at once. Maybe if it ever comes back online :( , we could go about that. If it does come back online maybe the policy can be reviewed. Thanks for the constructive criticism.

My feelings about censorship are that it is a necessary evil. It is evil at most times, but there are certain situations when the censorship is warranted. I also believe that one can flame someone a lot better without cursing, but then again that's in writing. You can bet if the flame was in person, there would be a lot of four letter words from me.

Note: Editing out "lol" was just funny as hell to me, that's why I did it. Plus it gets back at the AIM speak peope!
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#13 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 09:12 AM

I just don't feel that either type of censorship belongs here. If I wanted that sort of administrative involvement, I'd go back to NHQ. As TIS said, NHQ is n00b central. As long as it stays that way, and this forum ramains untouched, there will always be someplace for everyone, and neither group (the n00bs nor the vets and quasi-vets) will get in each other's way. Adding censorship here would eliminate a nessisary variety in the boards.

I wasn't there during the peak, but is seems as though NO failed in the end because too many people of the NHQ variety came in and all of the people of the NH type left. Now it seems like NH & NHQ's differences in atmosphere have solved this problem. Let's not mess with that.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#14 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 11:30 AM

If we censor, you pretty much won't be able to read my fucking posts

#15 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 12:34 PM

Hey Vacc, long time no fucking see. Did your goddamn game server die?

Langley: Well said. I think that's more or less the way I feel.

#16 the guy who unleashed hell

the guy who unleashed hell

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 02:14 PM

i think about censoring posts that it is stupid to censor bad words or whatnot. Who cares if someone says "fuck off" about something in the forums. if people don't like it then join somewhere else like Nerf HQ. i do have a problem with people not spelling things right. if you say" you are an asshole" thats ok but when someone says "yo ae n ashol" then theres something wrong just look over your posts once you finish writing your post. So yes who cares about censoring "BAD" words. But fix misspelled words when you write.

Thats all,
peace :o

#17 superadaquabat

superadaquabat

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 02:41 PM

Change nothing. If a post is illegible ignore it. I'de prefer less swearing, but censoring it out is ridiculous and theres nothing i can do about how poeple choose to type. All in all this forums has very high quality topics and posts, far better than any other forum i've ever seen.
Happiness is a foam gun.

#18 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 04:19 PM

Change nothing.  If a post is illegible ignore it.  I'de prefer less swearing, but censoring it out is ridiculous and theres nothing i can do about how poeple choose to type.  All in all this forums has very high quality topics and posts, far better than any other forum i've ever seen.

my exact feelings, and presented better than my previous post. the current state of Nerfhaven in no way calls for censorship, besides the democratic censorship that comes with the Kharma system.
You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#19 LDM

LDM

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 07:52 PM

As I stated before, it's all in the manner of the post. If it is a download insult, it should be edited. Yes, even if you are mad. However, playful fucks (heh) and hells and shits are fine. For instance, VACC's post in this topic. Okay, it wasn't really playful . . . -_- .

I guess the point I'm trying to say is to limit your bad language and un-readable posts to the bare-minimum. Make a clear warning, but have fun at the same time. This is a NERF board. Live your "other life" outside of this board. If you have time to go on the computer, type nicely.

#20 Doogie

Doogie

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 11:54 PM

Moderating = good.
Censoring = bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users