Firefly Problems

barrels sealed shut

29 replies to this topic

#1 FIDO

FIDO

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:12 AM

I just got my firefly yesterday, and I was proud to see that it looked and felt good, but when trying to get the gun apart, I encountered some glue on the top portion of the stock. This was countered easily with a pocket knife, but the revolver style cylender has been sealed shut by gluing the cylender onto the barrel by the restrictors inside the barrel. I can’t get a knife in, and I don't think I can pull them apart. Does anybody have any suggestions?
Don't worry about the things you don't know. Do sheep expand in the rain? Who discovered how to get milk from cows? And what was he doing in the first place?

"if anyone gives you shit about being a geek, just remind them that all their bases are belong to you." -Talio

#2 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:38 AM

Pics.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#3 1313

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:55 AM

Well while modding mine yesterday I also ran into that problem. What I did was I got a big screw driver and put it down the barrel until it hits the air restriction , then while holding onto the turret you smash the screwdriver onto a hard surface(make sure the screws in the turret are off...). After doing this a couple times, switch to another barrel and eventuallt while hitting it down, the back of the turret will fly off and air restriction will shoot out, so watch out. Then just punch the pegs out the back, screw the turret back together and there you go.

#4 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:49 AM

Oh. I didn't know what he was trying to say. Something about glue and whatnot.

#5 FuriousGeorge

FuriousGeorge

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:31 PM

Where you able to get the screw in the middle of the turret out? There was a hole down to a screw inside the turret, and I cannot get a screw driver to reach it. Do you need to unscrew this to take apart the assembly? Im stuck trying to get it apart also.

#6 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 02:14 PM

No, you don't, just get the three screws on the back and the three on the front then slip a flat head screw driver through the crack between the front and back halfs and pry up and go all around the turret. You'll need to get the screw holding the rotating mech on to get to the three rear screws. It isn't glued on, the barrels just fit real tight into the back of the turret. Another method is to just pull real hard after removing the screws.
And as everyone knows, money makes the world go round. It's also the root of all evil, therefore the world going round is evil, and we should stop the rotation of the planet.

#7 duce

duce

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 03:32 PM

You could also use a heat gun/ blow drier to try and melt the glue temporarily. Be cautious though.
"Thats so good it makes me want to kick my mom in the face." -Halfling

#8 flamebo388

flamebo388

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 06:39 PM

There is no glue, mine came apart with ease and I could see no glue residue any where on the turret, it just fits tight together to get a good seal between front and back halves.
And as everyone knows, money makes the world go round. It's also the root of all evil, therefore the world going round is evil, and we should stop the rotation of the planet.

#9 leftnut

leftnut

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:44 PM

Oh man thank you for making this topic. I just assumed I wouldn't be able to open the turret up and after reading this I ran off and did it. After much messing with it I finally replaced every barrel on it with CPVC and it shoots great. The clip has been completely changed now, I will post some pics when my family gets home from Boston.
"You are obviously a megalomaniacal insecure little boy stroking your faltering ego with your own hairy palm in order to prove your suedo-alpha male status..."
-BadAssReptileFarmer to Talio

#10 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:14 PM

Arg, I swear I noted this before in other topics. There's no glue, just a very tight seal, which is actually a good thing. Try slowly prying the bottom apart by going around it with a flathead screwdriver. Patience is key with this.

~ompa

#11 murakumo32

murakumo32

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 05:48 AM

What are the ranges on a modded firefly?
Nerfing, now fortified with vitamin C!
-or-
100% Nerf, for 100% pwnage.

Nerf is a neutral weapons dealer. Anyone coughing up the dough can get armed.

and they're made of Foam... which makes them very Nerfy...

#12 leftnut

leftnut

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 10:11 AM

What are the ranges on a modded firefly?

I didn't test it outside but last night we had a war in my house and it was able to shoot across all the rooms easily. I will check the ranges later and also take some pictures.
"You are obviously a megalomaniacal insecure little boy stroking your faltering ego with your own hairy palm in order to prove your suedo-alpha male status..."

#13 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 01:54 PM

I was also waondering if anyone has been able to open the plunger tube up. It doesn't get the greatest ranges outdoors, so I was going to double the springs up.

EDIT: Got it. Before you try and move the little pegs holding it in, take a knife and go around the edge of it in the back making sure to loosen it u psome. Then it turns and comes out easily.

Edited by LastManAlive, 06 August 2005 - 02:04 PM.

#14 doomforu

doomforu

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:43 PM

Ok today I just opened up my FF put in a RF20 spring. Now I am trying toget the turret out of the case but the roatating white thingy (that the Mavrick has to) is stuck to the turret. I dont want to take out the roatating thingy.

Sorry i cant get any pics because i can find my camera.

-Doom
May doom great you with a whole hearty smile and milk and cookies.
(I love cookies) (But not sugar cookies)

world domination (oh that was my 5th grade self in a straight jacket saying that)

#15 quasar

quasar

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 09:36 AM

I just modded mine yesterday. Go ahead and take out the white rotating part but you have to remove the plunger tube also to get to the a screw underneath it. It is all pretty easy to put back in, just screw everything back down.

Edited by quasar, 07 August 2005 - 06:25 PM.

#16 leftnut

leftnut

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:46 PM

I finally found my camera so here it is. It took me about an hour and I was very inclined to do this since me and my friends were having a war that night in my house. It gets about NF ranges which I find very acceptable. I just took the turret out and cut the orgininal turret barrles off and replaced them with CPVC and it ended up working out quite well.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:01 PM

So yuor gettin what like 55-70? Thats awesome.

Edited by Uncle Hammer, 11 August 2005 - 01:01 PM.

Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#18 leftnut

leftnut

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:08 PM

So yuor gettin what like 55-70? Thats awesome.

Not 70 but in the 60s some where, I really like using the gun its fun. I'm sure some people don't feel its worth $20 for a gun like that but I think it wasn't a bad investment for me.

#19 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:11 PM

No I so say it's worth it, just integrate a 2k into that and you've get yourself a gun.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#20 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 04:37 PM

It gets about NF ranges which I find very acceptable.

Well, this is obvious, considering that it does have NF insides. But aside from that, nice mod. Once I get home and count my cash, which, with the help of SneakUP, be almost depleted, I might go and get one. Maybe.

TS

#21 Tinkerer

Tinkerer

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 07:24 PM

weird, I didn't have much trouble at all opening my turret, after I noticed the three screws at the back, it came right apart.
Actuall directions on some products:

On Pudding
"Product will be hot after heating"

On a Sweedish Chainsaw
"Do not try to stop with hands or genitals"
(Was alot of this happening somewhere? MY GOD!!)

#22 doomforu

doomforu

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 07:31 PM

Leftnut when you glued the turret back on did you use hot glue or epoxy? And does anyone know if a RF20 spring is stronger? In my opinion it is.

-Doom

world domination (oh that was my 5th grade self in a straight jacket saying that)

#23 Nerfnewbie

Nerfnewbie

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 06:34 AM

trust me doomforu, the firefly spring is better than the R20.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < )

Behold. Helping Bunny on his way, one signiture at a time.

#24 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 09:26 AM

Haven't done it yet, but from my expeiriences with this gun modded, it fishtails like hell. I had longer barrels on mine but the part of the shell right infront of them caused it to point upward. Drimiling this off would allow the use of however long barrels. I also replaced the spring with a NF spring that I had lying around. Just take a knife around the edges of the cap on the plunger tube and then twist.

#25 doomforu

doomforu

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 06:25 PM

I cant seem to get my FF to shoot. I replaced the barrels with CPVC streched the main spaing and the spring on the end of the plunger. But when I shoot it the stefans it only goes about 43 feet. Now I have rereplaced the barrels on it but the stefans dont even come out of the barrels. I have checked the seals on the barrel but no air seems to be leaking. I am thinking about buying some brass the will fit in the back of each of the barrels to increase the volocity(SP?). If anybody thinks they know why my gun is fucked up please tell me.

-Doom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users