Who knew...

9 replies to this topic

#1 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 10:45 AM

Well today (June 5) I stayed home sick all thanks to this wicked post nasal drip shit and upon waking up, and falling in and out of sleep, I finally got the urge to actually get up around 11AM. I proceded to pass the idea to my father, that maybe since the new Metallica album came out today, we could go pick it up. He was cool enough to take me across town to pick it up. But enough about how I got it, let's talk about it.

Right now I'm listening to the track "Dirty Window", track 4 for those who care/know.

It's like a whole new Metallica, not better, not worse, just different. Think aggro or prog metal here people. This isn't Master of Puppets or And Justice, this is like a whole new chapter. Remember ReLoad? Forget it. Saint Anger makes up for what most Metallica fans would call "those last two crappy albums". Was Load mildly good, yea. But it was a horrible Metallica album. ReLoad? That's a whole different discussion.

I'll keep this short and to the point, Metallica has reached (another?) milestone in their career. It's not old school Metallica, but it's heavy, fast, and unforgiving. Check it out. I picked it up for $14, that's including the bonus DVD (that comes with every copy of St. Anger) with the band rehearsing all the songs off the CD live in their studio.
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#2 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 11:16 AM

I've been listening to it off and on for a few days.

It's definitely a change for them, and more similar to their old stuff than to the last couple albums.

From the perspective of a music fan and not necessarily a Metallica fan I don't find it as interesting or innovative as any of their better 'old skool' stuff or their more recent stuff. I guess I just don't feel like they did enough to distinguish themselves from the current overabundance of bands with a sound like this. To be fair, many of those bands are just emulating Metallica's sound but a great band needs to be able to reinvent themselves to stand out from the crowd of pretenders.

Conclusion: Glad I didn't pay $14 for it cause I probably won't listen to it much now that I've heard it several times through.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#3 Atticus

Atticus

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 07:05 PM

Worked 'til 1 AM last night, and picked it up on my way out. $9 after my in-store discount. As a Metallica fan, worth every $9. I think it's a mix between the old: fast and heavy, and the new: slow and mellow. Good though. There's only one thing it's lacking: GUITAR SOLOS!

#4 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 09:02 PM

Yeah, well, being an avid metallica fan for years upon years, I'd have to say it's... different. Just as Evil said.

IT's fucking weird. I'd say they did distinguish themselves from the everyday metal around today (contrary to what CX seems to think) in terms that they just seem to jump all over the place in each song. There are abrubt stops and aggressive changes all over every song of the album. Cool, I'd say. At the same time, they conformed to what all of the newer bands seem to be doing (metal as well as other rock genres) by using a dropped tuning. It sounds to me like dropped D half a step down, which would be like a drop C# tuning. Similair to what everyone else on the damn planet seems to be using. This annoys me a little, but I have to say that it seems like a valid thing to do these days. We've had metal bands pounding out all different tunes in the same E tuning for years, it's starting to become difficult to write something that doesn't sound like another song. Tuning down gives the guitar player a whole new avenue to explore with. Besides, certain badass bands have been using downtuned guitars for years (i.e. Fear Factory, In Flames, etc.). However, I still don't really condone the whole dropped tuning since it seems to just make guitar playing easier for the guitar player in that they no longer have to form full chords... but downtuning is damn evil sounding and gives way more options. Also, It's cool to hear James exploring new avenues with his vocal styles, but still weird. Also, the album does not have a single solo and even more alarming, no lead guitar whatsoever. Strange.

It's definetly something new for them. It's heavy, it's fast, it's aggressive, and it's varied. I like it.

Conclusion: James has lost his fucking mind.
Name's Ash, Housewares

#5 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 09:33 PM

Now that I listen to it over and over, my friend's comment makes more and more sense, the way Bob Rock and Metallica recorded/produced the album [St. Anger] makes it sound like a very high quality demo. I like it though, reminds me a lot of Ride the Lightning or even Kill'em All.
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#6 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 08:26 PM

Yeah, and now that i have listened to it over and over, one thing annoys me. Lars' drums are recorded like shit. He lets his tom and snare ring out all damn day.

The album is still cool, though.
Name's Ash, Housewares

#7 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 09 June 2003 - 11:29 AM

Deffinately lost their minds, but I like it damn-it

#8 Famine

Famine

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 05:08 PM

The new Metallica album? Eh, it's different but I find myself more or less indifferent to the new "different"-sounding Metallica, in that this new "different" Metallica is better than the old New Metallica but I'm unsure if I would call it worse than the Old Metallica since the new "different" sound makes it difficult to judge when held in comparisson to their old sound, mostly because the two are so different. However their old sound was more different and unique than anything else of the time while this new sound, although different, is annoyingly similar to every other band that is also trying to be different. Aside from that, Lars' drums sound different and N0 S0L0RZ!!

Later. . .

kekekekeke

Different.
~Famine
of Mag-7
East Coast Nerf 2005: Step It Up.
East Coast Nerf 2006: That's more like it.
East Coast Nerf 2007: I'm not driving to Massachusetts again.
East Coast Nerf 2008: Day of Regret.
East Coast Nerf 2009: Quid pro quo, douchebags!

#9 Guest_The Lord Cow_*

Guest_The Lord Cow_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2003 - 05:11 PM

I think the article by Maddox sums it up:

The real reason Metallica has a beef
with Napster

Everyone agrees that Metallica's last two albums were dog shit. Even Metallica indirectly admit to it during an interview when they said something to the effect of "our last two albums were shit straight from a dog's ass." In fact, everything the music industry has barfed up lately has been hokey, cookie-cutter, tired, disingenuous garbage. Music on the radio these days can best be summed up as aural pollution.

So while I was watching a movie preview that was saturated with music propaganda the other day, I wondered why Metallica's slide in record sales and popularity coincided with their much publicized attack on Napster. Does it have anything to do with the fact that their albums just plain suck and it's a convenient excuse for them to blame this slump on internet file sharing? Is it a coincidence that the music industry's unrelenting streak of crappy music comes at a time of extremely poor record sales?

Is internet radio to blame, or dumbass executives at Virgin Records signing Mariah Carey for $80 million in 2001, only to give her an extra $28 million to leave just a year later? Why don't they spend that money on innovating rather than trying to sell the crap that's already out there? I'll tell you why. Because they have their heads so far up their asses that they need to have it pried free with a jack hammer.

#10 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 07:05 PM

Interesting article, Lord Cow, but it is irrelevant to this thread. That article is referring to the napster battle and the two albums "Load" and "Reload". This thread is about "St. Anger". It's nice to see yet another article bashing Metallica and their napster battles and all, but it's been done by everyone and their grandmother's dog. Also, I might add that the last comment about using the money they pay the artists to innovate rather than sell what's already out there is one of the most ignorant comments about the music industry I've ever seen. Yeah, the music industry is a bunch of buttfucking swinemonkeys, but they can't really use money to force artists to become more innovative. It doesn't work that way. However, thanx for the hackneyed-beating-a-dead-horse post, Lord Cow.

In response to Famine: I'd have to say it's a little difficult to say that St. Anger sounds just like everything else that is out there... but to each his own I guess.
Name's Ash, Housewares

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users