Sammy Sosa Corked Bat

hmm...

19 replies to this topic

#1 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 11:41 PM

All you baseball fans know that Sammy Sosa was ejected in the first inning tonight because he had a corked bat. This raises a million questions.
Was he using a corked bat during '98? Have other players been using corked bats? The list goes on and on. I can't wait for his press conference.
What do you all think?
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#2 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 01:50 PM

Corked bats do jack shit. They actually add only 1% more velocity in the bat. This means if he can hit the ball 400 feet with a regular bat, he'll only get 404 feet with a corked bat. I love SC's DYK!
"The occasional hell or damn is ok,
but we do sh*t and F---"

~Webbster, Foam Improvement.

"I got four points... I sackled you"

#3 Doogie

Doogie

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 02:15 PM

Corked bats do jack shit. They actually add only 1% more velocity in the bat. This means if he can hit the ball 400 feet with a regular bat, he'll only get 404 feet with a corked bat. I love SC's DYK!

And if the record is 400 feet, then he's beaten it with 404.

#4 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 05:41 PM

Umm... no. Seriously, you really don't know "jack shit" about physics.

A 1% increase in velocity does not translate that simply into greater distance. Nor is a 1% increase in velocity the only effect of a cork bat. It also has greater compression, increasing the elasticity of the collision. Also, its not just a 1% increase in velocity, its more than that.

I doubt that sportscenter gave you the 400 to 404 comparison, cause thats just not accurate.

#5 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 05:57 PM

I doubt that sportscenter gave you the 400 to 404 comparison, cause thats just not accurate.

They sure as mother fucking hell did!
but we do sh*t and F---"

#6 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 08:57 PM

A 1% increase in velocity does not translate that simply into greater distance. Nor is a 1% increase in velocity the only effect of a cork bat. It also has greater compression, increasing the elasticity of the collision. Also, its not just a 1% increase in velocity, its more than that.

I read several articles on the physics of this today and it's pretty interesting.

Using cork to increase swing speed gives the exact same effect as making the end of the bat concave - which is perfectly legal.

Using cork to increase the energy imparted to the ball can actually have a negative effect. Adding a less dense substance lowers the natural harmonics of the bat which is already too low to be useful - one vibration takes about 4 times longer than the ball is in contact with the bat. Aluminum bats have a higher natural harmonic which is partly responsible for their average 8% distance advantage over wood.

In short, a corked bat does tend to hit the ball about 1% farther in scientific testing, but so does a bat with a concave tip.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#7 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 02:46 PM

Ok, I would think that the elasticity of the bat would have more to do with the energy imparted than the harmonic frequency.

A 1% increase in velocity of the ball would lead to a 2.01% increase in the distance traveled, or 408 feet if it was originally 400.

#8 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 02:53 PM

Yeah but what I said was a 1% increase in distance. That's the number I saw several times.

And elasticity has everything to do with harmonics. The 'spring' in the cork doesn't have time to rebound before the ball is long gone. It's still absorbing energy from the ball when the ball changes direction. So what you effectively have is a 'spongier' bat, not a 'springier' bat. Ideally (for maximum performance that is) bats would be made of a material that has a harmonic frequency of about a thousand hertz to correspond to the roughly 1/1000 second the bat and ball are in contact.

#9 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 04:37 PM

I kind of worded what I said wrong. When I said velocity, I meant the transition from the bat to the ball.
but we do sh*t and F---"

#10 ItalionStallion

ItalionStallion

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 04:47 PM

With a lighter bat he can swing alot faster. A half an ounce can improve the speed greatley. And if the velocity is incresed then he can catch up with faster pitchers like randy johnson. Also he can swing at the ball a bit faster causing the bat to give the ball more force, making it go farther.

I remember that i used to cork my old metal bats. It was very simple. Just remove the cap, then put a few racquet balls in there. It was amazing how much it affected it.

#11 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 05:09 PM

Again, it's perfectly legal to hollow out the tip of the bat to lighten it and speed up your swing. If all you want is a lighter bat, that's what you do. Hell, a bunch of the bats in the hall of fame have concave ends. This also has the effect of shifting the center of mass closer to your hands so it takes even less wood removal to achieve the same effect. Note that this is the same effect you get from choking up, but without the loss of reach.

If dropping racquet balls in your aluminum bat helped you then you needed a heavier bat cause the elasticity of the balls wasn't doing a damn thing for you. Sports psychology being what it is, if you thought painting your bat red made it hit harder, it probably would.

#12 KiLLa sQuIrR3L

KiLLa sQuIrR3L

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 06:51 AM

And if the record is 400 feet, then he's beaten it with 404.

The record is like 525 feet. Most fields are longer than 400 feet.
It's fun when no one gets hurt, but when someone gets hurt, it hilarious.

#13 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 01:53 PM

Uhm.. I thought Mantle hit one over 600?
but we do sh*t and F---"

#14 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 01:12 AM

bullshit. mantle is a twig compared to people playing now, and no one is hitting 600 feet. no one is even close, not even on a perfect pitch in batting practice. the claims made about mantle hitting 600 are too ridiculous to believe.
You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#15 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 10:50 AM

bullshit. mantle is a twig compared to people playing now, and no one is hitting 600 feet. no one is even close, not even on a perfect pitch in batting practice. the claims made about mantle hitting 600 are too ridiculous to believe.

Not really, considering that he did hit 500+ foot homers that have been documented.

I don't think the record is 525, cause I think I remember hearing about people hitting farther than that.

#16 ItalionStallion

ItalionStallion

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 02:31 PM

Yes GD is right, mantle did hit one a little over 600. He hit the upper deck at old Yankees stadium. Back when the fence was 430.

I think a few others have hit 600 too. Mike schmidt hit one i know. There are others i know, but i just dont remember them.

#17 GunnedDown

GunnedDown

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 02:40 PM

Actually, I read from some more official sources that they found that Mantle's ball bounced a few times. The home run was probably only about 530-550 feet. However, that's a LOT!
but we do sh*t and F---"

#18 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 04:13 PM

yes, he hit far. but even as GD found, he didn't hit 600. 530-550 and 600 is a big difference. 600 is sort of like the speed of light, the closer you get to it, the more energy is required to get even closer. i think that eventually more and more people will hit 600, and people probably have a few times in the past. when i said "no one is even close", it was a bit of an overstatement. also, i don't consider hitting 550 "close" to 600. either way, i am officially done arguing this one.
You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#19 Spoon

Spoon

Meh.

• Founders
  • 560 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 04:32 PM

Wow, this is all so very interesting.

Wait, are you guys talking about baseball? Oh, nevermind then.
Two roads converged in the woods, and I took the one less traveled......and now I don't know where the hell I am.

#20 Dan Wask

Dan Wask

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 05:52 PM

Wow, this is inresting... shit, spoon was right they are talking about baseball. Ladies get testicles and start curling, a real man's sport.

No I'm only joking for those of you who know what curling is, and if every one does than virtually hit me.
QUOTE (Arcanis @ Apr 9 2005, 12:02 AM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users