Photo

The Better Nerf Grenade

26 replies to this topic

#1 kaiman299

kaiman299

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:33 PM

so after reading the artical about the spring powered nade, i thought, "I can do better" so here it is:

Supplies needed:

1x black film canister
3x film canister lid
1 tablespoon of vinegar
3 teaspoons of baking soda
lots of cut up darts

ok step 1:

first cut 1 lid so that it can fit inside the film canister snugly, without any cracks.

step 2:

then cut another lid so that it can just plop down to the bottom of the canister (dont worry about having it perfectly circular.)

Step 3:

put 1 tablespoon of vinegar in the canister. then push the snugly fitting cap down into the canister to seal off the vinegar.

step 4:

put in 3 teaspoons of baking soda on top of the cut lid. then put in the loosly fitting lid.

step 5:

then, fill the rest of the canister with pieces of darts.

to fire: hold the lid on tight, and squeeze the canister 'till you hear it "pop".

then THROW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

and there it is folks! enjoy!

#2 fastkill

fastkill

• Banned
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:20 PM

How big is the film canister diamiter wise?
New Breed

#3 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:45 PM

That is an improvment on a grenade, but I'm not sure I would utilize something like that. I wouldn't fancy a big mess (I mainly have indoor wars in a big house), but outside it should be lovely. The only thing is that I don't see any practicality in grenades for Nerf. It's cool to blow stuff up and shower FBR, but I've never found it handy. I think I'm just going to stick to making pipe bombs, and meth in my basement. :P

~Rings
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#4 merlinski

merlinski

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 11:45 PM

Have you actually tried this out?

I have a hard time believing that the baking soda/vinegar reaction is sudden enough to provide any kind of explosive force.

#5 rylundo

rylundo

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 09:13 AM

Merlinski theoreticaly the pressure would build up and force the top off realesing the contents all over the place.

One time me and my friends put like half a box of baking soda and a shit load of vinegar in a bucket and then my friend sat bare ass on it. It was purty funny.
I am hungry enough to eat a cow.....no not really just a full sized baby.

quote from chessler
Rylundo, you get the cookie anyway.

Thats right bitchs I got a cookie.

#6 doomforu

doomforu

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 11:01 AM

last year I went over to one of my firends house with another friend. On the way to his house we stoped to get some pop (Sprite to be exact). When we got to his house we got out alot of viniger and baking soda. We drank the sprite then used the bottles as bombs. We would fill the bottles up with baking soda and viniger then screw on the lid and threw it up in the air the come back down and hit he drive way. well it did not always work so one time we put an exta amont of viniger and backing soda in and threw it. Well when it hit the drive way it didnt explode :P .so I being very crazy at the time ran up and picked up the bottle then threw it down as hard as i could onto the drive way right in front of me. IT went BOOOM!!! and the next thing i knew i was coverd in viniger. so i had to take a shower. The morel of this story it was fun.

-Doom
May doom great you with a whole hearty smile and milk and cookies.
(I love cookies) (But not sugar cookies)

world domination (oh that was my 5th grade self in a straight jacket saying that)

#7 kaiman299

kaiman299

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:08 PM

How big is the film canister diamiter wise?

it's 4" in diamiter. and yes i have tested it. its AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!! :P

#8 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:27 PM

I tend to agree with Merlinki here. I remember the Baking Soda and Vinegar trick from when I was a 'wee lad. The pressure basically comes from carbon dioxide gas being released from the combination. This is a result of the acidic vinegar and the basic baking soda combining. To create a decent enough pressure for projectiles, you would need a very large amount of the two substances in a relatively small container. I remember trying to get baking soda and vinegar to explosive pressures, but they never created enough gas to make any type of explosion that would be practical in Nerf.

Besides, this is all predicated on the fact that you could get this Nerf grenade to work before someone could shoot you. So I guess since this doesn't seem pracrtical at all, I'm wondering where the point in this is?
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#9 kaiman299

kaiman299

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:55 PM

well, i have tested it, and i throw it high in the air so it blows in mid air, and its good to throw into a base (simalar to paintball much lol)

edit: in a few minutes, ill set one on the ground and test it.

Edited by kaiman299, 09 August 2005 - 01:57 PM.

#10 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:59 PM

well, i have tested it, and i throw it high in the air so it blows in mid air, and its good to throw into a base (simalar to paintball much lol)

edit: in a few minutes, ill set one on the ground and test it.

Please read the Code of Conduct regarding capitalization and punctuation.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#11 kaiman299

kaiman299

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:50 PM

So sorry about that. I have been playing an online game (runescape) and have lost my grammer. But now I will try harder. Again, sorry.

#12 Jay Dub

Jay Dub

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:38 PM

I'm sorry to interupt our explosives class today, but I might have a greater propellent combination. Although it is considered a weapon in some areas, ( One of which is the whole US ) It may greatly change your life and criminal activities. Has anyone tried a toilet cleaner called "The Works" and a piece of tin foil? But please don't try this in an enclosed area and do not hold in hand.

Edited by J_Dub, 11 August 2005 - 11:39 PM.

Why are there 6 pedals when there are only 4 directions?
RvB

#13 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 12:03 AM

Any cleaner and foil will do what your talking about.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#14 SG Pilot

SG Pilot

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:38 PM

Perhaps the "explosive" part of the grenade are a bunch of balls so it goes off and a bunch of balls come flying out. Plus, it makes the grenade more reusable.
QUOTE(VACC @ Oct 9 2009, 04:45 AM) View Post

I know, I HATE toy guns that are made for little kids!

#15 Tinkerer

Tinkerer

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:57 PM

you want explosive? try Chlorine and Alcohol. that'll blow up a soda bottle without it hitting anything.
Actuall directions on some products:

On Pudding
"Product will be hot after heating"

On a Sweedish Chainsaw
"Do not try to stop with hands or genitals"
(Was alot of this happening somewhere? MY GOD!!)

#16 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:09 PM

Ok, if we're going into explosives, I might be able to contribute.

1.) Perhaps with a little Potassium Nitrate, you may get a desired result. While it is used in most fertilizers, sneaking a pinch from a Chemistry teacher shouldn't be that much of a hassle. :P That will give you a lovely boom. And if you want a bigger boom, use more to send you flying backwards. If I remember correctly, Sodium Sulfate works too.

2.) For a crude nuclear device, get a big box, preferably made of steel. You will need to get your hands on a plutonium core (the trickiest part). Suspend your plutonium core in your box and center it. Then you must evenly line your box with conventional explosives (TNT, dynamite, fireworks, something of this sort). Lastly, you must be able to detonate your conventional explosives simultaneously. By doing so, you cause the plutonium core to implode on itself and begin a nuclear chain reaction (similar to the bomb used on Nagasaki, Aug 9th 1945). This bomb however is quite a deal cheaper. When you test it, be sure to use it outside of Minnesota, as I don't want to get radiation sickness. Maybe dump it in Tijuana or a shithole in Mexico. To dispose of excess radioactive waste, place it in a coffee can, and bury it in someone's yard.

In all seriousness, I really see no point in Nerf grenades. I used to think it was cool and now after using some in wars, I thinks it's useless. If you can make one go off before you get shot, I owe you a cookie.

~Rings

PS: This section of my post serves as a disclaimer. If any 13 year old should follow my above suggestions to make a smaller or larger explosive, their parents are liable and not myself. They should keep an eye on their children a little more carefully if they get ideas like this. <_<
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#17 KirbySaysHi

KirbySaysHi

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 01:02 AM

Haha! [above]

For the sake of doing this, haven't any of you used a film canister to make a rocket? All you do is put some vineager into the film canister, dump in a little bit of baking soda, put the cap on, and place the canister upside-down on the concrete. It goes at least 20 ft in the air. A long time ago, some friends and I had a blast with this.

So yes, there is enough explosive force from the reaction to make foam fly.

Copy!
Kids in the backseat cause accidents... Accidents in the backseat cause kids.

#18 Tinkerer

Tinkerer

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 01:29 AM

\2.) For a crude nuclear device, get a big box, preferably made of steel. You will need to get your hands on a plutonium core (the trickiest part). Suspend your plutonium core in your box and center it. Then you must evenly line your box with conventional explosives (TNT, dynamite, fireworks, something of this sort). Lastly, you must be able to detonate your conventional explosives simultaneously. By doing so, you cause the plutonium core to implode on itself and begin a nuclear chain reaction (similar to the bomb used on Nagasaki, Aug 9th 1945).

That little weapon has very little chance of going nuclear, and It's not at all like the bomb droped on Hiroshima (I don't have a clue about nagasaki) The bomb dropped on Hiroshima was pretty much a big naval gun, that fired a slug made of uranium at point-blank range into a bigger hunk of uranium. (enriched uranium, mind you)

Now, more seriously,

I think nerf grenades would have a place on the nerf battlefield, if one could be designed that would actually work well, was a handlable size, and was easily reusable. as for this design, I personally don't think it's much of an improvement over the ol' spring grenades, because alot of care must be taken in the construction and reuse of these chemical ones. and they don't strike me as more functional either.
Actuall directions on some products:

On Pudding
"Product will be hot after heating"

On a Sweedish Chainsaw
"Do not try to stop with hands or genitals"
(Was alot of this happening somewhere? MY GOD!!)

#19 joeyaglr444

joeyaglr444

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:55 AM

If you ask me (you probably wouldnt) chemical reaction grenades are useless, My friend used a nerf grenade at a friend and his"Chemicals" spilt all over an innocent bystander's face. luckily it was my cousin who beat the crap outta him.
i dont want the stuff to be all over me face but makeing a grenade with the principles of air power hmmm... you'd need some small darts sizes half of a stefen...Ill stop myself ill come back with plans.

serious side:

Nerf Grenades injure people no way of telling weather u hit the person.
Boys Become Men....Men Become Wolves

Blaffair to Rememblack.

#20 SG Pilot

SG Pilot

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 10:15 AM

What about some kind of spring powered greanade that bursts open and balls come flying out?
QUOTE(VACC @ Oct 9 2009, 04:45 AM) View Post

I know, I HATE toy guns that are made for little kids!

#21 kaiman299

kaiman299

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 06:49 PM

About that cleaner.........that's even worse then the baking soda and vinegar....

#22 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 09:09 PM

Yeah, I've tried the rocket thing for a Chemistry lab. We used Alka-seltzer & H20 instead. Then we had to angle it just right to land in a little dish 5' off the ground, 15' away. Those are pretty cool little buggers, especially if you make a pimpass launcher too.

Tinkerer - The gun-slug uranium bomb was used on Hiroshima. Nagasaki's bomb was similar to my bomb as they utilized plutonium in a similar fashion. They hypothesized that the plutonium bomb would do more damage. They were right (proven later), however, Nagasaki had a more uneven landscape so the Hiroshima bomb did more damage.

This idea of chemical Nerf warfare is pretty interesting. It's just not practical. Maybe one of those too good to be true things...

~Rings

PS: Anyone seen Dr. Strangelove? Now there's a funny movie with bombs in it.

Edited by LordoftheRing434, 13 August 2005 - 09:11 PM.

#23 Yazz

Yazz

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 02:23 PM

Have any of you guys made match rockets? Where you take two matchs(preferably the box kind as they are sturdier), some tin foil, a pin and a paper clip. You bend the paper clip at around a 45? angle for a stand, tape it to a table or something. Put the pin along side the match, where the pointy end is touching the match head then wrap it in tin foil, take out the pin so there is a tunnel of sorts leading the the match head. Put it on the stand, the match head facing twords where you want it to fly. Light the other match and hold it under the tin foil for a while. When the match lights, it shoots out the tin foil tunnel. It's pretty fun.
Soilent Green IS People!!!!!

#24 grunty

grunty

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 08:30 PM

i cant ever get my match rockets to fly even a foot :rolleyes:
at2k s are the best no questions asked!!!

#25 rylundo

rylundo

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 01:42 PM

On the note of rockets when i was about 8 i gut a ruber cork filled a two liter soda bottle with baking soda and vinegar ( i think possibly a different chemical mix) put the ruber cork in and backed up. After waiting what seemed like forever ( it was long ago and i had yet to be given meds for my ADHD so it could have been like 5 seconds) the ruber stopper would shoot up in the air really high. I once did this in second grade for a project and put a hole in the cheap ass cealing (however you spell that) tiles. I will now stop my rambling of years long ago and tell you all that there are many ways to fire projetiles.

Edited by rylundo, 15 August 2005 - 01:42 PM.

I am hungry enough to eat a cow.....no not really just a full sized baby.

quote from chessler
Rylundo, you get the cookie anyway.

Thats right bitchs I got a cookie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users