7/16 Backer Rod?

Such a thing?

5 replies to this topic

#1 chris

chris

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:14 PM

I'll make this quick: I went to Home Depot and Lowes today to look for barrels and backer rod. I found both, and bought a 10 foot long 1/2" of CPVC. However, I couldn't find any foam to fit in it. 1/2 was of course too big, and 3/8 was too small (or I think, it was just a tiny bit loose). I've looked online, and can't find such a thing as 7/16 BR, which I'm almost positive is what I need. Help?

- Thanks.

#2 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:20 PM

Most people use 1/2" with CPVC. It's just really tight. They use it mostly for springers. Just use a smaller barrel than you usually would. Like around 3" or less for an NF.

TS

#3 tucker

tucker

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:29 PM

If you wanted a semi-loose fit in the cpvc you could try to stretch your foam.

"We don't necessarily discriminate, we just exclude certain types of people"

#4 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:36 PM

I use CPVC for all my guns and my 1/2" FBR is pretty thick. It still fits fine, even on my airguns I get decent range. If your FBR doesn't seem to fit, just try again. I ended up returning the first length of CPVC I bought because it was so tight, but now it's all I use.
SexD Warves

#5 BloodMoon

BloodMoon

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:47 PM

I don't think I've seen sizes of foam backer rod other than 3/8", 1/2", and 5/8". For what foam backer rod is meant to do, precise sizes aren't needed. If you would like to make your foam a little bit thinner (say, for airguns), you could stretch your foam like tucker suggested. Take a look at this thread.

Edited by BloodMoon, 05 September 2005 - 11:22 PM.

We live in an age when pizza
gets to your house before the police.

#6 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:42 AM

To put it simply, it's a regional thing.

The ID of CPVC is not standard and the exact dimensions of FBR are not standard.

I don't know of anybody in SoCal who uses CPVC. There is definitely no way I could fit my 1/2" FBR into the CPVC I bought. In other areas, CPVC mods are the norm. The rule of thumb is still to buy a whole bunch of FBR and then find a barrel material that works well with it, not the other way around.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users